New Format and Chefs’ Takes — Star Commentary

by in Food Network Star, May 16, 2012

The eighth season of Food Network Star may have only just begun, but it is already off to an intense start. We know that you all had a lot to say about the jam-packed premiere episode, particularly in regards to the new style of Star and this season’s opponents. Fans Tweeted @FoodNetwork, left messages on our Facebook page and commented on our Star Talk blog to share initial reactions to and thoughts on the premiere.

During our premiere Twitter party, many fans told us they're pleased with the new mentoring aspect of the show and are excited to see how it impacts the competition, while others simply voiced their excitement about an extra Mother's Day present: two hours of Star!

Virginia stopped by the blog to comment: "I like the new format and agree with the several people who commented on the benefit of additional 'one-on-one' time with the mentors. It's also interesting and entertaining to see Alton, Bobby and Giada in these roles.”

Iaini70119 added that “it will be interesting to see the differences in the mentors’ coaching styles.”

The mentors themselves joined the Twitter party during Sunday night’s episode, each supporting his or her team and engaging in a little friendly competition:

Giada used Twitter to explain to fans her camera-focused Star strategy:

Now that you’ve seen the finalists in action and have gotten to know the mentors’ coaching styles, how do you think the remaining 14 contestants will fare in the competition? Which finalist can attain that coveted balance of over-the-top cooking chops and dynamic camera presence? Tell us in the comments below, join the #Star conversation on Twitter and Facebook, and cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

Tune in to this Sunday’s episode at 9pm/8c to see who from #TeamAlton#TeamBobby or #TeamGiada goes home next.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. AboveH2O says:

I really don't like the new format - it's no longer a competition because the judges won't vote the worst chef off if one team is down one chef and another team is down two chefs. They'll vote off the chef from the team that's down one. I mean, Giada wasn't looking for the best cooks for her team - she was looking for personality. So if her team is down two, the judges won't eliminate any more of her team until Bobby and Alton are down two also. Used to be and individual competition - but no more.

2. Jen says:

I agree with most of the comments that the new format SUCKS! I liked it when Bob and Susan were the only people that had to impress. Now it's like the 100 other shows on the Food Network. Hate the involvement of the "mentor" chefs. Turned it off 10 minutes into episode one and deleted the series from my DVR. Highly disappointed.

3. MARY LOU says:

DO NOT ENJOY NEW FORMAT OF SHOW. THIS FOCUSES TOO MUCH ON
    CURRENT NETWORK STARS AND NOT THE HOPE TO BE STARS.

WILL NOT BE WATCHING REST OF SEASON HOPE YOYU GO BACK TO HOW THIS SHOW WAS ORINGINALY SET UP.

4. Cindy says:

I have watched Food Network Star every year and love the previous years shows. Not wild about the new format for this year at all but will continue to watch it. Please rethink the format when you start planning next years Food Network Star...

5. Food Fan says:

It seems that the 3 teams are competing w/each other. While i *do* wanna give this new format a chance, I liked it better when all the contestants were competing against all of the other contestants. This way, it just appears as if they are only competing against the others on their team.
    One thing we POSTERS can do--is to WRITE/Post more about the contestants than WE do about the mentors. No offense to the mentors, but so many people are commenting on here that they want it to be more about the contestants than the mentors. Well, then lets write about the Contestants!
    One good thing...at least so far...then been less drama and we havent seen another "penny" this year. But its still early.

On a different note, I think another 4 or 5 people neede to be sent home before we really get to "the meat" of things this year. But everyone deserves a chance. I wanna wait til the challenge after the chopped challenge and see how things look. Then, I wanna narrow things down to my favorite 6 (2 from each team? maybe). Even after that, things can always change. Some will be "hot" one night and have a bad night some other time. Fun to watch it all unfold.

6. Suzy says:

To WEBMASTER:

Why not show the NEWEST COMMENTS FIRST, rather than making us go thru each page, hoping we remember the last place we read a comment before we stopped?

7. Brenda says:

The new format annoys me. The mentors can't be honest and truthful when someone stumbles. I want to see competition, individual competition, and have people evaluate the contestants without having an interest in keeping them because they are on their team. I may have to stop watching and try again next season.

8. alison says:

I am not a fan of the new format of the show, it should not be a team competion. This is a challenge to earn your own show! I will still watch though... enough with the comments about Giada. she is shallow and does annoy me but, she looks good so who cares how she dresses- you have the option to change the channel if it is that much of an issue

9. Megan says:

I personally LOVE the new mentoring format. It is great to see coaching and developing of the talent. I found the old format tired and enjoy the shift in focus! I wasn't planning on watching season 8 but I am now because I love the new format!

• Food Fan says:

I am looking forward to seeing more of the coaching. I hope they will show us "little-snippets of 1-on-1 coaching" between a mentor and each member of their team--INDIVIDUALLY, rather than only as a group.
      They had to do something. From the drama and cattiness of the last couple seasons.
      I like seeing Alton, Giada and Bobby better as Mentors, than judges.
      My 2 big concerns with this new way are:
      1. People "surviving" another round even though they did bad, just because others on their team did good.....and...
      2. Hoping it can stay *more* about contestants than the mentors (no offense).
      Other than that, so far so good.
      Gonna be glued to the TV tonight. (smile). And looking forward to seeing the descriptions and evaluations and opinions of all of us who post about who we thought was excellent and who did quite badly. And why we think so. What people write is one thing. But why they feel that y, and their reasons, is something else. I hope they give specifics. I will.

10. j.w.baker says:

It's the first and last time that I will watch this show. It is too fast moving and without any depth. Giada, whom I have loved in the past looks like a hag and has shrewish comments. Alton is too serious and generally the show lacks appeal and focus. Give me more shows like "Chopped" with edge of the seat excitement. As far as I am concerned "Food Star" is a bust!