Team Alton: Down to Four

by in Food Network Star, May 15, 2012

Team Alton was the first to lose a member with the departure of Cristie Schoen in Sunday's premiere. Cristie, a movie-set caterer, came off as angry when she delivered her pitch for healthy eating (and a bland black-eyed pea and cabbage soup) in the Restaurant: Impossible challenge. She tried to redeem herself in the Producers' Challenge, but Bob and Susie ultimately felt that Josh had more staying power.

"I got confused and you lost me at the end. I don’t see the joy and the excitement that will excite an entire nation to eat healthy," Bob Tuschman told Cristie. She handled her early exit gracefully, but with regrets about her performance: "I’m really disappointed that I did not make it close to the top because I do have such an important message to share. I wasn’t able to communicate that message out."

Hear more from Alton, Bob and Cristie in her exclusive exit interview. Do you think she deserved to be the first to go?

Flip through Cristie's Star Scrapbook and more behind-the-scenes photos from Episode One.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Donna says:

Mr. Brown is not a natural competitor, and has said as much during one of the seasons of NIC. Bobby, however, is in his element. Giada seems nervous but game; (afterall she competed in Kitcthen Stadium w/Bobby against Batali & Ray, lost, and hated losing, but is back for more).

To my knowledge Alton has never pitted his cooking prowess against an opponent before. I wonder if Food Network pushed him into this. Now that he is on the other side of the judging, and critical comments, how will he fare? He seems unnerved. I agree he can be cocky, irreverent and rude. Will Alton's foray into the arena make for delicious entertainment as he is smackeddown throughout the season, as he has done to countless others, or a sad come uppance for somebody who's got it coming?

• Ms Potato Head says:

My understanding was Alton Brown (and maybe other FN stars as well) was/were frustrated with the talent coming out of NFNS. So FoodNetwork was having him put his "money where his mouth was" to select and coach potential stars into really having star power. I tend to agree with his stance and like the new format. It is interesting though to see him in a different element and squirm a little. While many may not like his snarkiness, arrogance, or whatever - there is something about him people love (including me) and he remains a fixture - his knowledge at a pure scientific level is very interesting if you aren't into the oooey-gooey of Giada or feel like Bobby Flay is way out of your league. There is a flavor/style of chefs in all three team leaders.

• AHW says:

Given some of the scenes they showed last week, AB seems to take his new responsibilities all too seriously. It's an enormous task to coach people as they try to earn a life-changing TV spot. AB clearly wants his students to succeed and feels emotional about his role in their success/failure. I like all three of the mentors, so I'll be pleased for any of them.

2. Ann says:

Alton probably has more culinary knowledge than the other team leader and I have always enjoyed his shows. But there was defintely something strange in his mannerisms with his team last night that has not been there when he mentored and judged before. But does anyone know why the change in format? The team cooking shows are everywhere. I am reserving judgment but may have liked the old format better.

3. Matt says:

Josh is an idiot. Rock on!

• Lisa says:

He's not going to make it. That "egg" thing was immature and offensive. Yes, we eat eggs, and women produce them, but we don't want to make any connections.

• Darlayna says:

I concur...he is not going to last.

4. Patt says:

A lot of head knowledge tends to make a person seem unfriendly, which I think is what Alton suffers from. He is fine on a show where he is a lone wolf, but in order to lead a team, there has to be more than knowledge. Bobby has knowledge, but it is balanced with gut feeling about ingredients and people and what they like. Giada knows how to make people feel good--with her personality and with her food--what's not to like? Anyway, I think team Bobby is going to win this because I think he's the strongest leader and will inspire his team to use their skills and develop their "feel" for their cooking. This all said, I like Alton best as a TV personality because of his quirkiness. I just don't think he's a leader.

5. Kelly says:

Are there not any new chefs out there that want to be on Food Network? So many of these contestants have been on Chopped, 24 Hour, etc...I think Michele has been on every food show on the network! I hope that's not a prediction of things to come, because I really, really want Eric to win!

6. Phred says:

Who really cares which teams wins?

We should focus on the best potential cook/entertainer, not the stupid frills and artificial nature of 'teams.'

It's totally absurd.

• Darlayna says:

It is all base on the Team Leader and teaching them. It does reflect on them. I personally am not watching the Food Network to be entertained...because if that was the case the Rocker boy would win. I watch to see technique and receipts.

7. Doublemage says:

Can't vote on the fan page. It has been messed up for a long time. No wonder my favorite contestant can't move up. Can you guys clear this up. The only way it let's me vote is on my cell now. What is wrong with the website?

8. laini says:

I do believe the right person went home. When she said that she was fed up with people sitting around & wanted them to eat the way she thinks they should, I knew she was a goner. No one wants to be lectured at & she came across & just plain rude.

I hope Josh goes next because his antics are childish. When he jumped on the counter during his audition I was appalled. People had to cook & Giada had to eat off that table. And his crazy rocker act with the cartwheel and jumping up & screaming rock & roll were way over the top. Let the food & the chefs personalities do the talking not ridiculouos antics.

And I don't like the Girl on Grill woman (name?). The FN doesn't need another grilling show. Bobby is the master of grilliing. Plus I didn't like her snarky comments about other contestants.

• vert2013 says:

I agree 100%. Nikki is the contestant you're talking about and I'm pretty sure she's this years villian. As for Josh. He has to go. His food wasn't good (granted his team kinda screwed him by forgetting the eggs), and his rock n' roll move at the beginning of the presentation was childish.

• AndreaBC says:

Unfortunately she's gonna be around for a while. She's this season's Penny. I really hate that FN is going the way of survivor with this.

• Nadia says:

FYI grilling girl is Nicki and i totally agree that we don't need another grill show. We also don't need another Mexican show.

9. vert2013 says:

I'm perdicting that Nikki is the villian this year. Not as bad as Penny but she's already insulting everyone. Granted, I don't doubt that editing played a part in that.

• JLF says:

Editing can remove content that they don't want you to see, but it doesn't invent something that wasn't said in the first place. Nikki's comments were dismissive of her teammates and borderline disrespectful to Bobby. IMO she crossed the line from confidence to arrogance.

• vert2013 says:

I definitely agree with you on how it doesn't invent stuff, she did say those things and she's definitely not my favorite by far for her attitude toward her fellow contestants, but editing can remove what other people are saying. There's no way for us to know that some of the contestants that we think are really nice, didn't say similar things and have them edited out.

• JLF says:

True enough about what we haven't seen of others that may (so far) appear to be nice. I'll bet before it's all over there will be other contestants who find their not-so-nice sides revealed. I'm of the school of thought that two wrongs don't make a right, so each of us is responsible for our own behavior regardless of whether someone else is misbehaving. If you don't want to give the editors something bad to show about you, watch what you say.

• Nadia says:

This show is turning into a reality show instead of a cooking show!

10. Bellaboo says:

I am starting to not care anymore. I don't know what target audience the two judges are aiming for, but it seems to me that they are just looking for a pretty face and a bubbly personality to mold into whatever it is they are trying to create. No one seems to have a distinct POV except Cristie. Too bad she wasn't able to convey it without sounding angry; I think it was a good concept for a show. I don't like the three teams competing against each other concept, either. This is starting to look too much like a game show instead of a cooking competition. Somewhere along the way, Food Network became a reality channel instead of a cooking channel. Good thing I have a dish, there are a lot more channels for me to choose from. Think I will be taking a break from Food Network indefinitely.