Eight Ways to Socialize With Star

by in Food Network Star, May 10, 2012

Food Network Star gameJust a few days remain until Saturday's Food Network Star casting special and Sunday’s season premiere, and you devoted fans already know that Season 8 is bigger and better than ever. Don’t get us wrong — we love each one of our talented past winners. But we’re willing to bet that Guy, Melissa, Aarti, Jeff and company are pretty envious of this year’s crop of finalists.

Three groups of five have been hand-picked by Alton Brown, Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis and will be coached by their respective team leader all season long. Win or lose, working closely with one of these Food Network icons is the opportunity of a lifetime for any Star hopeful.

We want you fans at home to be a part of this exciting new season, too. Here’s a rundown of all the ways you can be part of the Star community throughout the season.

1. We’re kicking things off with a pre-premiere Facebook chat with Giada tomorrow, May 11, at 4pm EST. Ask her anything you’ve been dying to know about the new season, from what it was like to compete against Alton and Bobby to how she chooses her (amazing!) outfits for each day of filming.

2. While you’re chatting with Giada, check out our Star Central Facebook tab featuring special content. It’s all Star, all the time.

3. Play the "Who's Your Star?" game to compete against your friends and earn trophies for predicting who will stay and go each week. Check it out now and set your picks for Episode One.

4. During the show on Sunday nights, join in on our weekly Twitter parties featuring talent, trivia and prizes! Follow @FoodNetwork and share your love for #TeamAlton, #TeamBobby, #TeamGiada and just #Star in general.

5. We’ll also post exclusive images from the Star set on Instagram throughout the season. Follow us on the app to peek behind the scenes!

6. Follow our Pinterest boards for Team Bobby, Team Giada and Team Alton and repin your favorite finalists, recipes and moments.

7. Check in on GetGlue to earn cool new Star stickers each week.

8. Join in on the Star chatter with other fans just like you on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and right here in the comments of our Star Talk blog.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. mwc says:

New format a huge disappointment! Is this whole network devoted to only selling celebrity chefs? NFNS was our favorite show of the whole year before this. Last night was a big yawn--too bad. If I wanted to see this, I would tune into America's Worst Cook--which isn't that great...

2. innerjuju says:

I HATE, HATE, HATE this new format. I watch to get to know the contestants, watch the challenges, and to witness the drama. Ever since they started making this about Bobby and Giada, NFNS has taken a decided turn for the worst. This year's new format is horrible. For a show I always enjoyed, this pretty much takes the cake... and that isn't a complement.

• Chef Chris says:

Ya know what's funny about this "Bobby and Giada" thing? Flay cannot STAND this woman! Ever since he flew into a rage when he paired with her on Iron Chef. She was unable to cook anything at all!!! Ran around, screaming, throwing her arms in the air in utter frustration...... she made a fool out of herself and sent Flay into a steaming rage that was obvious to everyone. Flay is a serious cook - small wonder A. Brown is making digs at her at every chance. Let's get some REAL chefs judging this fiasco: Anne, Alex, Ina, Guy.. My GOD - even Gina Neely could top her, and that's sad.

3. Eater says:

Emily - like the quirkyness. Good choice.
    Josh - may say "Rock n Roll" or mention his band 10,000 times
    Kara/Linkie - same generic person
    Marti/Eric/Malcolm - not stars
    Justin - what's with the lips?
    Martita - I must be missing the "fire". Not impressed
    Michelle - Liked her. I'd check out her show.
    Nikki - You are NOWHERE near as hot as you think you are. Dial it down.
    Ippy/Yvan - kind of the same. Both have potential.

• JLF says:

I pretty much agree with your run-down, except I'm not crazy about Michele. Emily is my front runner. And SO agree with you on Nikki - she's giving me vibes of being a Penny Jr.

• FanFare57 says:

You are very good remembering each cheftestants names. I did not care for Michelle based mostly on her appearance and inappropriate comments. Josh was cute but that's it. Giada chose him probably based on his attractiveness. However, his "rock star" persona was just that - a veneer. Obviously, he's not as comfortable performing in front of an audience as portrayed himself to be. So far, the others are also-rans.

• JLF says:

Just noticed that you left off Judson from AB's team - the one who did the shrimp and grits that everyone liked. I thought he was sincere and appealing. He has potential.
      Also, I don't think I'd count Eric out yet. He may have stumbled over his tongue talking too much, but he showed some serious cooking skill with both the pasta and ricotta in that time limit. If Bobby can teach him to talk, he could be a serious contender.

• Chef Chris says:

Bobby - ok as a judge as long as you can look past his rage
        Alton - too smart for this program - but I like him
        Giada - not qualified to do anything except shorten her skirt and open her blouse
        Suzie - whether scripted or not, everything she says is ridiculous. I wish she could hear herself
        Bob - a total wuss - and a cheerleader for Giada. Not a secret anymore

• JLF says:

Wow - we disagree on just about everything, especially saying Bobby has rage. Of all of the judges he is the most restrained.

4. Sandy says:

I like the new format very much! Only part that is weird for me is the way the judges feel that all of us as the audience needs some little homemade spun personal story about the dish or themselves, their family, etc., along with the cooking & I really don't care about that. I mean who ever wonders...Geez, how'd they come up with that dish in their personal life or I'd sure like personal info about that persons life. Just not interested, aside from the dish being made. Fill-in time I guess but not interesting for me.

• JLF says:

No Kidding! If I hear one more story about dead grandmas inspiring any given dish, I'm going to die myself. And pushing the cooks into coming up with a story forces them into being phony, for which they are criticized by the very judges who pushed them into storytime in the first place. They can't win.

• FanFare57 says:

Hahahaha! I completely agree with your sentiment. I don't need to hear the first time they kissed a girl or when their pet bird croaked, they were traumatized until they found cooking as a release to their inner chef. Just make great food, period and shut down the extraneous chatter.

• kiki says:

Thanks - I totally agree. Also don't care for phony "parties" or "picnics" or whatever. Just cook something fabulous and teach me something I don't know. And I also agree with the person who's interested in chefs, but not really cooks.

5. Sandy says:

Kinda weird that Josh seems so docile to be in a rock and roll band. Glad they elminated first girl (name ?) because she did come across as angry. She did get kinda hoodwinked with being left to fix a soup though, however one would think as a chef/cook,she could come up with her own specialty southern soup dish. Poor little thing whenever she opened her mouth before the judges, jargon came out. I think Alton was glad when she left.

• JLF says:

While Christi may have been unhappy with doing a soup, you're right - any basic cook should be able to come up with something better than blackeye pea puree (which wasn't even a soup) that looked like mud. If she is really as passionate as she says about teaching healthy eating, she would have taken her soup as a challenge and shown what she could do. Instead she pouted and fussed about being "fed up", I presume about unhealthy food. Whatever message she was trying to get across was badly bungled, and I'm glad she's gone.

• FanFare57 says:

Yes, if that girl had a spine, she could have refused to make soup and say she wanted to make something else.

6. FanFare57 says:

I was surprised to see 2 previous losers from Chopped competing: Yvan and Michelle. Michelle also competed on Scott Conant's 24 hour Restaurant Battle. I guess she figures "3 times the charm" Speaking of charm - Giada seemed to choose her team based on who charmed the pants off of her. Alton was his usual stick up the butt, pompous ass... Nobody home there. Bobby's team had the better group, IMO. I believe Bobby's recent experience as a mentor on WCA really helped channel his inner coach side. He was wonderful. I thought it was stated that the viewers will select the winner at the end. That's ridiculous since none of us have taste-O-vision. FN is all over the place by trying to please their fans and update their tired line ups. I did feel the correct cook got the hook. That girl was terrible - her food looked nasty and her personality was lacking.

• RuthAnn says:

I tend to agree with you regarding having the viewers select the winner, but that was how Guy was chosen. Since they have not had quite the success since Guy with FN chosing the winner, FN may be thinking they should go back to having the viewers chose the winner.

7. KiKi says:

I liked the new format. Clearly, these people deserve some coaching before they are thrown to the wolves. Maybe it will reduce the drama too. I thought Bobby's team had the most interesting backgrounds and dishes. I'm not really that much into personality, and I'm so tired of the same old people getting all the airtime. (Guy Fieri, who doesn't even cook, is on all night, every night? And Giada & Rachel Ray, who are IMO pretty uninteresting cooks and somewhat offputting personalities are also appearing in on the Cooking Channel? That I pay extra for?) I realize it's all about money & ratings, and diversity is a good thing, but I want what I want, which is fabulous recipes and information.

8. Tina says:

Watched the show Sunday night...not crazy about the new format, but I'll reserve final judgement for a few weeks...at least they don't seem to have a "Penny."

9. Donna says:

Food Network execs think they know what their viewers want. They like these contestants to be quirky, or weird, with over the top energy. In my case, they don't have a clue. I like calm, confident, pleasant hosts like Ina, and Ree Drummond of the 'Pioneer Woman'. They can cook; are happy, and comfortable in front of the camera, so I'm relaxed when I watch them.

They criticized the Hawaiin fellow for being too flat. Meanwhile, I thought he was just right.

10. Suzy says:

I am wondering if the moderator or someone from FN will post if the entire show is wrapped already, and the winner is known to FN. Because I don't want to get wrapped up in "voting" if the winner is already picked. Thanks.