Eight Ways to Socialize With Star

by in Food Network Star, May 10, 2012

Food Network Star gameJust a few days remain until Saturday's Food Network Star casting special and Sunday’s season premiere, and you devoted fans already know that Season 8 is bigger and better than ever. Don’t get us wrong — we love each one of our talented past winners. But we’re willing to bet that Guy, Melissa, Aarti, Jeff and company are pretty envious of this year’s crop of finalists.

Three groups of five have been hand-picked by Alton Brown, Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis and will be coached by their respective team leader all season long. Win or lose, working closely with one of these Food Network icons is the opportunity of a lifetime for any Star hopeful.

We want you fans at home to be a part of this exciting new season, too. Here’s a rundown of all the ways you can be part of the Star community throughout the season.

1. We’re kicking things off with a pre-premiere Facebook chat with Giada tomorrow, May 11, at 4pm EST. Ask her anything you’ve been dying to know about the new season, from what it was like to compete against Alton and Bobby to how she chooses her (amazing!) outfits for each day of filming.

2. While you’re chatting with Giada, check out our Star Central Facebook tab featuring special content. It’s all Star, all the time.

3. Play the "Who's Your Star?" game to compete against your friends and earn trophies for predicting who will stay and go each week. Check it out now and set your picks for Episode One.

4. During the show on Sunday nights, join in on our weekly Twitter parties featuring talent, trivia and prizes! Follow @FoodNetwork and share your love for #TeamAlton, #TeamBobby, #TeamGiada and just #Star in general.

5. We’ll also post exclusive images from the Star set on Instagram throughout the season. Follow us on the app to peek behind the scenes!

6. Follow our Pinterest boards for Team Bobby, Team Giada and Team Alton and repin your favorite finalists, recipes and moments.

7. Check in on GetGlue to earn cool new Star stickers each week.

8. Join in on the Star chatter with other fans just like you on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and right here in the comments of our Star Talk blog.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. [...] the original here: 8 Ways to Socialize With Star This entry was posted in Food Network and tagged alton, bobby, check, day, facebook, fans, [...]

2. Kathy says:

Giada De Laurentiis shouldn't be judge and she should not have a show on food network. One of the worst shows on TV.

• kathy funderburke says:

Are you crazy! She is outstanding!

• Kate says:

I agree with you completely! Next Food Network Star (last season) really changed my opinion of her.

• Tracee says:

Do tell...I didn't watch it, but I've always enjoyed her RECIPES...not so much HER...but her doable dishes.

• foodtvwatcher says:

I like her cooking show but the way she handled the bickering among last season's contestants was very poor. It was like watching a soap opera and something I was turned off against totally.

3. Eva says:

I think she is fantastic. Love her recipes.,Have cooked them many times. One of my favorite shows.

4. Rita says:

I agree shes a great chef her recipes are easy to make, I have made many of her recipes and they have always come out great. her show is one of my favorites, I think she is a great judge on the show, On the other hand I do no believe that Melissa D'Arabian should have won her show I can't even watch there were other contestant that were much better, I think the judges totally missed that one but that's ok I love Food Network Star.

• FanFare57 says:

I completely agree with you on all points. Jeffrey Saad vs Melissa "No personality" should have won. He had won most of the mini challenges and described his ingredients in a tantalizing way. I also feel Jeff M. was less than stellar as the current winner.

• nd160791 says:

I respectfully disagree with you about Jeff. He won the most camera challenges, only had 3 challenge stumbles (food truck promo, Ina Gartens cupcake and Iron Chefs cooking portion), he was on the bottom just once and was voted fan favorite by viewers. Since winning, Sandwich King has been a ratings hit and just got nominated for an Emmy for Best Cooking Show after its 6 episode first season (which validates the show, Jeff as a chef/host and the FNS judges decision as Emmy voters are TV professionals). Plus, it was announced by FN that Jeff is getting a prime time show this summer, which might tell something about his popularity. After Guy, hes the only winner whose star quality has risen the highest in the shortest period of time. FNS has been perceived by many as a show looking for the next Guy Fieri. That shouldnt be the case, as every winner has their followers, style, POV and have achieved things in completely different ways from one another.

• dot says:

I watch Jeffrey Saad on THe Cooking Channel. He is fun, cheerful, and he really knows how to describe food. THe job he has now is perfect for him. He also kicked some butt on CHOPPED, beating out Alex G, Micheal Simon, and another Chopped judge (can't remember his name)

• dot says:

And there is no way her meals cost under $10.00. That point of view is stupid and so are her recipes. After Guy, it seems as if the network is not putting in the time and money to make sure the NEW FOOD NETWORK star is actually a success. When is the last time you saw Aaron McCargo, except at 7:30 on Saturday morning. THe Sandwich King is on when most people are in church or spending time with their families. ARTI PARTY--seems like the food cops shut that one down. But n any given Saturday night, you can watch 10 episodes of DDD, all repeated about 50x before. And can they give Bobby Flay any more shows on either network? Come on, he is not THAT good. He is one note and that is chili peppers.

• Sandy says:

I agree that there are TOO TOO TOO many episodes of Diners Drive-Ins and Dives...! Why not put other shows of other Food Network shows on instead of all those Guy Fieri shows..its like Burn out! I just flip the channel on those days when they do that. Its just too much!

• FanFare57 says:

I agree with you. Guy has been the biggest hit. Isn't that the way? On HGTV, David Bromstad (the first Design Star winner) has been the most successful and the best. The rest have been forgettable or terrible. It's the same thing with each successive FN Star since Guy. Pity, they don't attract outstanding candidates really.

• Tina says:

************************************************************************************************************
        Dot,
        I agree with you re your remark about Aaron McCargo, who has some of the most flavorful recipes on the network. I love his cooking... bold flavors and the recipes aren't difficult.

5. Jenine says:

Wow...what is the name of your show on Food Network? My guess is you don't have one...

6. FanFare57 says:

Yikes! Due to your righteous indignation and strong opinions, I guess you won't be watching THIS contest, right?

7. FanFare57 says:

Another day, another lame contest. I'm not sure FN needs another NFNS so soon following the previous version when they crowned Jeff, "Earl of Sandwich", the winner. Now, the show has morphed into a "Worst Cooks of America" theme where teams are formed. Oddly, Alton muscled his way on to this vehicle. I can't stand on screen his presence. He's physically abhorrent and pompous to the nth power. However, I found Bobby on WCA to be surprisingly encouraging and funny. Giada is okay. 2 out of 3 aint bad. So, I'll watch the first ep to see if it's tolerable. If not, I'm outta here.

• jeri says:

Can't you just watch for the sheer enjoyment of the of what is is??? A show on TV? Alton is very funny. I like his approach.

• FanFare57 says:

Sorry to respectfully disagree with you, Jeri. I like to watch contests that are fair. Otherwise, I feel it is a waste of time. I like to watch cooking shows that inspire me to try new recipes. Otherwise, I feel it's a waste of time. If the food is uninspiring and the cast is hopelessly corny and the end result is capricious, then it's a total waste of time. As for Alton: to each his own. I have never found him amusing. Quite the opposite. For me, his pomposity reigns supreme!

• jeri says:

You don't have to apologize to me for disagreeing. You're welcome to your opinions. It just seems that, at times, you you have a leg on each side of the fence. I'm not sure where you're coming from or where you're going! If I've got you wrong, I apologize. But any way, thanks for the comments.

• JLF says:

Well FanFare57, you've got me scratching my head. In spite of your complaints about all of the "lame contests", when I read your other comments, you seem to have watched them all and can even remember the contestants, winners and losers by face and name. Hmmm.

• FanFare57 says:

I happen to have a fabulous memory and can't turn it off. (Sometimes, it's a curse.) I also see both sides of an issue. It's not black and white. Some contest themes are unnecessarily convoluted. Each ep stands on its own for me. I watch food contests or regular food shows in hopes of learning more about the food, taste combinations and different spices. The cheftestants win me over if they are basically pleasant AND incredibly talented. I don't need their back story. What's head scratching about that?

• JLF says:

On one hand you dismiss the competition shows as lame and offer put-downs on multiple personalities involved with the shows (whether as contestants, judges or hosts). Then you turn around and watch all of them, remembering the names and faces of everyone. The head scratching comes from me wondering why you bother to watch shows repeatedly that you yourself call lame.

• FanFare57 says:

Wow! Thank you JLF for being the judge & jury on my hidden motives for watching television (as perceived by YOU). According to your inference, I just like sit around and mock every single aspect of every single FN show. Obviously, you missed my point in the first and second post.
            I find your assessment insulting, meritless and completely off the mark.

• JLF says:

Who judged you for pete's sake - I said I was puzzled. (scratching my head). So far in this blog you have aired your negative opinion of AB (physically abhorrent and pompous - your words), of The Earl of Sandwich, and Mr. Tatoo, and called this competition lame, and apparently Worst Cooks as well since you compare the two in the same sentence. So is there a hidden happy meaning behind all of these negative statements in your own words that I'm missing? All I did was ask (not accuse or judge) about the apparent disconnect in watching shows that you describe so negatively. I can't help if you choose to take offense - none was intended.

• FanFare57 says:

I did take offense. You continue your self righteous comments, Madame Blog Monitor. You certainly studied my posts like a troll. Apparently, when you chastise other posters to allow everybody to air their opinions, you mean the remarks that coincide with yours and in your style of expression. IMHO: my remarks (positive or negative) have been consistent, except if a particular star or cooktestant changed my mind by showing me something I previously didn't see or understand. I've consistently liked WCA with Anne. And Booby completely reversed my opinion of him because he was very encouraging and fair. If I were to praise all the stars and wannabes that I prefer, it would be too lengthy a post (since I like more than I dislike. (Those that I don't care for, I don't watch or hit the mute button). Now, take a chill pill and get over yourself.

• JLF says:

You accuse me of assuming what you're thinking when I inquire about your comment, then make assumptions about my thoughts. I did not troll your comments - they are right out there for all to see. I quoted them only to ensure accuracy. Sorry you're offended. I'll refrain from commenting to you in the future.

• jeri says:

I think I get it. My husband is somewhat the same. He remembers everything. If he watches a show he wants to learn something. He does not watch contests. In fact, he goes to the other room when FN or The Cooking channel is on unless I point out a particular show for it's instructional value. And yes, good memory can be a curse, especially if you said something 40 years ago & he remembers and you don't!!!! LOL.

• FanFare57 says:

Hahahahah! You got it. I don't hate all contests, per se. I just wish they were spread out. FN and other networks seem fixated on churning out contests in close sequence. Within the contests, the challenges are becoming too gimmick filled. I realize that this may appeal to many viewers. I prefer watching the food contests to concentrate on the food preparation (not watching cooks jump through hoops of fire while singing and trying to make a souffle). As for each cheftestant, I like a little info, but not their life story or the bickering, back stabbing and manipulations that occur with too much time to fill the hour (or 90 minutes). Thanks for your understanding.

• jeri says:

Cooking contest are not the place to collect real knowledge. They are, as we all know, filled with gimmicks and hoops. Their main purpose is to entertain, not teach. If you want to gain skill and or knowledge, then your watching the wrong show. Some shows are too basic, Kelsey's show for one. Others don't give enough info. It's hard to find shows that are really good. You might try surfing the Cooking Channel if it's available to you. French Cooking at Home is a pretty good one. Turning down the brain is hard. I still work 8 hrs. a day, 5 days a week so watching contests is my relief. When I want to learn something, I go elsewhere. Simple (but difficult) . Chow

• FanFare57 says:

Do you really think the cooking contests don't offer tips and knowledge? Oh, well. To each his own. I usually find nuggets of info from most contests as well because the cooktestants bring their ideas and abilities (if they have any).

8. mjbracken5 says:

A huge -- HUGE -- fan of all three -- Alton, Bobby & Giada. Hard to know whose team to favor at this point. But please, please, please don't bring back Penny Davidi! Just when I thought we were finished with her, she turns up again. What an unpleasant person. Otherwise, keep up the GREAT work!

9. Dot says:

Why does every show on the Food Network lately have to be a competition among teams headed by Food Network personalities? And unless the entire team is going to be the next food network star, why do they have to work with eachother in order to be an on air personalitiy? I will not be watching this year. Did I hear someone say Penny was coming back? SHe just looks so mean, even when she is smiling. I would never watch her show--her attitude is a big MINUS>

• FanFare57 says:

I'd prefer individual challenges. Let each candidate rise or fall on their own talents. However, group challenges cull the herd.

10. Dot says:

It seems like when these judges have their own shows, they are pleasant, cheerful, and inviting. When they become judges, they are hateful and arrogant. Giada and Bobby need to remember and perhaps look at their first time on camera and then judge these new people accordingly.