To give you a sneak peek at the personalities of Team Alton, Team Bobby and Team Giada, we’re introducing a finalist per day leading up to the bigger-than-ever Food Network Star premiere on Sunday, May 13, at 9pm/8c. Don’t miss the casting special on Saturday, May 12, at 9pm/8c for a behind-the-scenes glimpse at each finalist’s road to Star-dom, including footage of their final one-on-one auditions with their respective team leaders.
Team Giada's Josh Lyons was a singer in a rock band when he decided to switch gears and enroll in culinary school. He lives in Jupiter, Florida, where he's now a sushi chef and restaurant consultant. Josh, 42, still writes songs and performs with his band on the side.
Fun facts about Josh from Food Network Magazine:
- Claim to fame: He was the lead singer and songwriter of a rock band that signed with Maverick Records, a label founded by Madonna. He has opened for the Goo Goo Dolls, Kid Rock and Pearl Jam.
- Dream-show concept: Sushi fusion. "I'm the love child of Paula Deen and Morimoto," he says. He makes Southern sushi rolls by wrapping fried chicken with collard greens.
- Secret ingredient: Togarashi seven spice, a Japanese spice blend. He makes his own.
Get to know Josh in his Star bio video:
- “I’m Getting to O.G. Status”: Guy Talks 10 Years of Food Network Stardom and Directing Finalists’ Pilots
- It’s Pilot Time with the Gold Standard for Food Network Star Success — Alex’s Star Report
- Caption It: High-Five to the Mentors
- Exclusive Interview with Past Star Winner Aarti, Who’s Back for the Finalists’ Last Presentations