To give you a sneak peek at the personalities of Team Alton, Team Bobby and Team Giada, we’re introducing a finalist per day leading up to the bigger-than-ever Food Network Star premiere on Sunday, May 13, at 9pm/8c. Don’t miss the casting special on Saturday, May 12, at 9pm/8c for a behind-the-scenes glimpse at each finalist’s road to Star-dom, including footage of their final one-on-one auditions with their respective team leaders.
Team Bobby's Malcolm Mitchell, 41, changed gears after four years in the Navy and decided to go to culinary school. He now works as a personal chef in Washington, D.C., often for big-name clients.
Fun facts about Malcolm from Food Network Magazine:
- Claim to fame: He has cooked for NBA players, singer Mary J. Blige, actor Chris Tucker and the Democratic National Convention. His celeb clients have schooled him in every diet imaginable, from a 5,000-calorie-a-day regimen for a Washington Wizards player to a raw diet for Blige.
- Dream-show concept: "Simple and soulful," featuring American comfort food like cobblers and mac and cheese.
- Secret ingredient: Garlic. "I couldn't live without it," he says. His favorite trick is frying thin slices and using them as garnish.
Get to know Malcolm in his Star bio video:
- Anne Burrell Previews Her Star Appearance with Been-There-Done-That Advice for Working on a Team
- #LookWhoIsBack: Matthew Sets His Sights on Star Salvation
- From the Competition to Your Kitchen: 1-Ingredient Marinades
- Happy Birthday, America! The Death of a Rib Eye, Lessons in Japanese and the Dials of Doom — Jeff’s Star Report