Star-a-Day: Malcolm Mitchell

by in Food Network Star, May 4, 2012

Malcolm Mitchell

To give you a sneak peek at the personalities of Team Alton, Team Bobby and Team Giada, we’re introducing a finalist per day leading up to the bigger-than-ever Food Network Star premiere on Sunday, May 13, at 9pm/8c. Don’t miss the casting special on Saturday, May 12, at 9pm/8c for a behind-the-scenes glimpse at each finalist’s road to Star-dom, including footage of their final one-on-one auditions with their respective team leaders.

Team Bobby's Malcolm Mitchell, 41, changed gears after four years in the Navy and decided to go to culinary school. He now works as a personal chef in Washington, D.C., often for big-name clients.

Fun facts about Malcolm from Food Network Magazine:

• Claim to fame: He has cooked for NBA players, singer Mary J. Blige, actor Chris Tucker and the Democratic National Convention. His celeb clients have schooled him in every diet imaginable, from a 5,000-calorie-a-day regimen for a Washington Wizards player to a raw diet for Blige.
  • Dream-show concept: "Simple and soulful," featuring American comfort food like cobblers and mac and cheese.
  • Secret ingredient: Garlic. "I couldn't live without it," he says. His favorite trick is frying thin slices and using them as garnish.

Get to know Malcolm in his Star bio video:

Are you rooting for #TeamAlton, #TeamBobby or #TeamGiada? Who’s your early favorite among the Season 8 Star finalists? Cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. N C Johnson says:

Malcolm, make jerked chicken sausage! Its a no brainer with mango chutney!

• Chef Malcolm says:

Chef me out on Food Network Star Season 8 ....to see how I rock out. Thanks for the suggestion.

2. [...] reading here: Star-a-Day: Malcolm Mitchell This entry was posted in Food Network and tagged bobby, day, diet, finalist, fun, ingredient, [...]

3. [...] Star-a-Day: Malcolm Mitchell [...]

4. sprgrljanet says:

Hope you do well on the show Malcolm. It must be hard to come up with a creative raw foods diet. Anyway I know the winner was chosen probably months ago, but I am really looking forward to the "new and improved' show.
    Janet

• Malcolm says:

Hey Janet, Yes it is but I try to be creative and always testing to dishes, trust me they don't always work LOL. Actually the winner is not choosen America chooses this year. You never know could be me!!!
      cheers
      Malcolm

5. Jennifer says:

Loving your profile can't wait to see the show tonight

• Malcolm says:

Hey Jennifer, a late response but I hope you are enjoying the show. Thank you
      Cheers
      Malcolm

6. guest says:

Who knew Malcolm Jamal Warner could cook?

7. Maggzo says:

Chef Malcolm - I hear you on the topic of "soul food." It means something different to everyone.

My mom was from Poland and her idea of soul food was pierogi, sausage, kraut and headcheese; while my North Carolina husband thought about BBQ, fried Chicken and collard greens.

Please don't give up on the concept of "soulful-food."

Best of luck - Maggzo -- Chicago, IL

8. Malcolm says:

@ Maggzo your so right, its like global soul. I will never give up simple & soulful!!!
    Cheers
    Malcom

9. Mark says:

Malcom,

I was watching the show for the first time this weekend and I told my wife, "I swear I know that guy". Now I just need to figure out from where. I'm thinking we played ball in Arlington or somewhere.

Mark V

10. Jessica says:

I loved Malcolm's fashion walk today! :)