To give you a sneak peek at the personalities of Team Alton, Team Bobby and Team Giada, we’re introducing a finalist per day leading up to the bigger-than-ever Food Network Star premiere on Sunday, May 13, at 9pm/8c. Don’t miss the casting special on Saturday, May 12, at 9pm/8c for a behind-the-scenes glimpse at each finalist’s road to Star-dom, including footage of their final one-on-one auditions with their respective team leaders.
Today we highlight Team Giada's laid-back Hawaiian native, Philip "Ippy" Aiona. At 23 years old, this executive chef is the baby of the Season 8 finalists.
Fun facts about Ippy from Food Network Magazine:
- Claim to fame: On his days off, the chef is a fearless cliff diver. His highest jump was about 80 feet at Boiling Pots falls in Hilo, Hawaii.
- Dream-show concept: "Ippy's Pacific Voyage," about traditional Hawaiian cooking made accessible. (He grew up working in his family's Hawaiian restaurant.) He'd demonstrate how to make dishes like chicken adobo.
- Secret ingredient: Anchovies. He uses them as a base for sauces. "It's the natural sea salt," he says.
Get to know Ippy in his Star bio video:
- Anne Burrell Previews Her Star Appearance with Been-There-Done-That Advice for Working on a Team
- #LookWhoIsBack: Matthew Sets His Sights on Star Salvation
- From the Competition to Your Kitchen: 1-Ingredient Marinades
- Happy Birthday, America! The Death of a Rib Eye, Lessons in Japanese and the Dials of Doom — Jeff’s Star Report