Star Commentary: Cheers to Jeff!

by in Food Network Star, August 16, 2011

Jeff Mauro's winning moment

After a neck-and-neck race to the finish line, Jeff Mauro inched out fellow finalist Susie Jimenez to become the season 7 winner of Food Network Star. Dedicated viewers and opinionated commenters on Food Network’s Facebook page and our Star blog offered countless hearty congratulations to the newly crowned Sandwich King.

Many complimented his vibrant “charisma & personality” and obvious “talent.” Another wrote that he was simply a “favorite from day one and the obvious choice” for the winner. One ardent admirer left a message for Jeff: “Congrats! You have a little Mt. Prospect/Park Ridge fan club here, and we were cheering for you the whole way ... Stay true to yourself, don't get a big head and remember where you came from! We love you, and we'll be watching!”

Other supporters write that Jeff’s pilot was “joyfully heartwarming and happy” and that they promise to “be loyal fans of his show.” Viewers “can't wait for [Jeff] to get started,” as many realize he has a unique “opportunity to create a new perception of the ‘sandwich.’”

What's your favorite sandwich, and what kind would you like to watch Jeff make? Tell us on Facebook and Star Talk. Don’t miss Jeff’s premiere episode of Sandwich King this Sunday, August 21st at 11:30am/10:30c.

Though a Star has been chosen, you can still help your favorite finalist win the Fan Vote by voting for him or her up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. Tiffany says:

I am so glad Jeff won. I have watched from the beginning and cheered for Him every week. I love the idea of sandwiches and his personality is even better. I can't wait to see the show I have already set my DVR to record.

2. jrbear says:

Congrats to Jeff! I think they have big plans for Jeff to be a host on other new FN shows very soon. It's gotta be the real reason why he won. These weekend morning cooking shows are a training ground and springboard to prime-time shows. Good examples: Guy F., and the newest break-out 'star' Claire Robinson. I think this is why they picked Jeff. His natural humor and good looks could make him a 'real star' beyond sandwiches in no time.
    I do hope they find a place for Susie and Mary Beth soon. Mary Beth could be a great host of a upscale rest. review show, sim. to Diners, Drive-ins. Let Susie have a show where she gets to cook food beyond just Mexican, like she wanted to in the first place. She is so talented, and has a great personality. I miss her already.

3. OC Foodie says:

Susie deserves her own show. I would be much more interested in learning her recipes and hearing her stories than I would ever have any interest in watching a show about sandwiches. I think the judges really missed out on a star with Susie...I would hazard to guess that for a great many of us, our love of cooking and good food is born with our fond memories of family gatherings involving food. Susie was always good on camera, her stories and her manner are warm, open, and approachable, and every time I watched her, I wanted to cook whatever she prepared. The sandwich king, on the other hand was not ready for prime time most of the season, and in my opinion, not nearly as likeable or interesting. Seriously, you think sandwiches are going to capture a large enough audience to make that choice worthwhile for the network? Why not let the viewers decide by putting them both on and see who earns the bigger following? I'll put money on Susie...

• JamesinAlaska says:

I agree.
      I think you can do more with Mexican food than you can with sandwiches.
      You really hafta wonder about how long a sandwich show can last.
      Speaking of new things, how about a new show where we learn how to make fantastic Gravy's & sauces? No one is doing that right now and there is alot more than just brown, or white-country gravy. It can make most any meal even better. Just an idea....

4. solong says:

When they kicked Vic off on Sunday night, I switched the channel. Didn't care who won after that, and haven't watched anything else on Food Network since then. I found out from the website today that Jeff won. Seriously? I won't be watching him, or a show about sandwiches. If I want comedy, I can watch comedy shows. Some of the judges were stiff, worse than the contestants.

5. Connie says:

I think Jeff winning was a mistake. Susie cooked some really interesting food. I would totally watch & learn from her. No matter what he says- a sandwich is a sandwich - it is not a meal! After a hard days work or for a family dinner - who wants a sandwich? Making wonderful meals is what it's all about & Susie did that. I definately will not watch the clown sandwich show!!!!

6. Anne says:

I let out a big, happy WHOOP! when Jeff won. I am so looking forward to his show. Only I'm so sad that it will be on during church! I hope you guys at FN are quick about getting these things on line so I can make up for lost time. As a wife and mom with testosterone dominating our household, I look forward to learning how to make new and interesting sammiches.

7. Tiana says:

I hope they will at least give Susie a show on the cooking channel.

8. dee says:

Well I guess it's a done deal Jeff 's the one .Sandwich stuff is not my thing , with recent concerns about lunch meats I guess this will help people to make healthier sandwiches but personally I don't have the time most of his current sandwiches as presented ,hopefully he can find some that will take less time. Really hpoe both Vic and Susie get some kind of shows they both showed real class in all they did.FN how about special programs for fokes who have special need ? example diabetics , allergies , and decreasing or better control of intake say call it Life STYLE CHANGE , give teaching on wt. control and decreaseing intake and balancing carbs etc;.

9. Paula says:

OK...... So we watch the show for 12 weeks and then in the end we don't even get to see the THRILL OF VICTORY.........What an anticalmatic show!! A few others were my favs. Whitney, total class and smart...we might actually learn something. BUT I am happy for a winner and would love to see more of thier happiness, interaction with family and the other finalists.

10. jeri says:

CORRECTION: in previous blog I stated "i don't believe any racist remark should be deleted", it should read "I believe any racist remark should be deleted". I'm sorry. I don't believe racisist remarks have any place in this or any other blog. Thank you.