Star Commentary: Cheers to Jeff!

by in Food Network Star, August 16, 2011

Jeff Mauro's winning moment

After a neck-and-neck race to the finish line, Jeff Mauro inched out fellow finalist Susie Jimenez to become the season 7 winner of Food Network Star. Dedicated viewers and opinionated commenters on Food Network’s Facebook page and our Star blog offered countless hearty congratulations to the newly crowned Sandwich King.

Many complimented his vibrant “charisma & personality” and obvious “talent.” Another wrote that he was simply a “favorite from day one and the obvious choice” for the winner. One ardent admirer left a message for Jeff: “Congrats! You have a little Mt. Prospect/Park Ridge fan club here, and we were cheering for you the whole way ... Stay true to yourself, don't get a big head and remember where you came from! We love you, and we'll be watching!”

Other supporters write that Jeff’s pilot was “joyfully heartwarming and happy” and that they promise to “be loyal fans of his show.” Viewers “can't wait for [Jeff] to get started,” as many realize he has a unique “opportunity to create a new perception of the ‘sandwich.’”

What's your favorite sandwich, and what kind would you like to watch Jeff make? Tell us on Facebook and Star Talk. Don’t miss Jeff’s premiere episode of Sandwich King this Sunday, August 21st at 11:30am/10:30c.

Though a Star has been chosen, you can still help your favorite finalist win the Fan Vote by voting for him or her up to 10 times per day.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. alba says:

where is his eggplant parmigiana sadwich recipe!!! I totally want it! can anyone help me?

2. Rose says:

Whitney was a total snorefest! I hope FN does not give her a show!
    Give one to either Susie or Vic. What the hell..how about both of them!

3. jeri says:

Congrats to Jeff. Your little boy is just adorable. Don't loose sight of purpose of your show! You are The Sandwich King!

4. jeri says:

Man, are the reviews mixed!!! My work , usually, only allows a quick sandwich for lunch. I don't get the usual "lunch break", as I am a home nurse, and need to keep watch on my special needs patient. If Jeff's show is during the day, watching would be iffy. If too late at night I can't stay awake (old age slows you down, lol). I guess a lot of you are not in favor of a show devoted to sandwiches. That's ok. I can put my 40 year marriage to good use and put my 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Portugese husband to work coming up with sandwich ideas!!!! He loves to cook and, being retired, would give him a reason to come up with new ideas, and it wiould make him happy!! I wish all the contestants well, whatever comes their way.

5. LindaSta says:

I watched the show. Not terrible, not particularly impressive. That is a WHACKING lot of work for a sandwich even considering that the leftovers can be repurposed. That is one better left to the professional kitchen where that much meat is more practical

6. Guest says:

I am sorry Vic didn't make it, mostly because I've seen him pop up on Challenge on Food Network, and other places on FN, so there is clearly something about him that the brass likes. And does anyone remember how rough Bobby Flay's edges were when he was first on TV? The set was awful---they pretended a lot of friends were in his apartment and he was fixing them dinner--and he was clearly talented but obviously churlish, not much of a people person, and actually told his "friends" to leave him alone when they asked questions. He had a female sidekick (whatever happened to Jackie Malouf??) who handed him plates he couldn't find, make gentle jokes, and basically was the personality of the show.

But what Bobby could do was make things that a lot of people had never heard of and make them sound and look interesting. I'm not sure that I don't prefer that Bobby, than the Botoxed guy in the thousand dollar suits snarling "Jesus Christ!" at a frightened competitor.

You know, Vic is more charming and personable at this moment---rough edges indeed!---and he clearly liked people, liked cooking, wanted to sort of snuggle down with everyone.....I predict/hope that someday he WILL get his own show.....there are more food networks coming to town now even as I type! Bravo Vic:)

7. Grace says:

So happy for Jeff, i wish Vic had won though, it would be cool if you gave him a show in the future :)

8. jeri says:

I'm glad people are still expressing their opinion! I think Vic could do a good job. Perhaps we we will see him on Cooking Chanel!?

9. Hello There. I found your blog the usage of msn. This is a very smartly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I'll certainly return.

10. aggregator unreliable ykbzlsal planner goal rowing safely furher patented collecting energetics envisage