Caption It: Guy’s Big Advice

by in Food Network Star, August 12, 2011
Guy Fieri
Your Caption Here

The competition wraps up this Sunday night, but before the next Food Network Star is chosen, two of the remaining three finalists will film their show pilots to be reviewed by the selection committee and an esteemed (and opinionated) focus group: the previously eliminated contestants.

Who better to coach the lucky two as they attempt a show pilot? Camera pro and season 2 winner Guy Fieri, of course. In this sneak peek shot, Guy shares some tricks of the trade and tells of his experience filming his own first pilot just five years ago. Will this season’s finalists heed Guy’s advice or stumble under the pressure of their most important Camera Challenge yet?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to see who is crowned the next Food Network Star, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this teaching moment in the comments below.

Don’t forget to tune in to a special Star reunion episode Sunday at 8pm/7c.

Last chance! Cast your Fan Favorite Vote up to 10 times per day.

Caption It: Final Feedback

This Sunday marks the 10th week of competition on Food Network Star, and after nearly three months of tests involving timed cooking, camera engagement...

1. Marge says:

I think no one actually saw the potential of Vic- Giada called him rough around the edges. I'm a stay-at-home 68 year old grandma and not only do I accept the tattoos and the body building body, but I also think he has the passion and especially the compassion to make him a great asset to your network. Mama's boy, yes, caring and compasionate about food and people- extraordinarily so. Definitely a chef for the newest foodie generation and I think you missed it.

2. Casey says:

Man, I'm really bummed Susie didn't get her own show. Jeff seems like an alright guy, but c'mon, Susie's food seemed way more interesting by far. Plus, she aced the recent food and camera challenges.

• Marie says:

Maybe Cooking Channel will hire her to replace reruns of 'Simply Delicioso' and/or 'Viva Daisy.' Nothing against them, but, how long should viewers stick w/ a show that hasn't made fresh episodes since 2008 or 2009?

3. Carol says:

Congratualtions to Jeff!!! I will definitely watch your sandwich show.

4. wms111 says:

Congratulations to Jeff. Before he starts taping his new show could someone please teach the Sandwich King to say sandwich and not sammich.

5. Sarah says:

Thanks Jeff for showing us how to make it to the top of a national tv network despite vulgar humor, profuse sweat, and plain food! Thank you.

• terrie says:

Good point! It just goes to show that the FN execs are not listening or focusing on us, the viewers!
      The quality of this show has dropped to an all time low. They need to market towards a higher level of audience.

6. Jana says:

"Sandwich POV". Not much for sophistication, isn't it?

7. Alex says:

Well, Jeff can really say that he got this job with the sweat of his own brow...

8. Louisa says:

I'll start out by saying that I genuinely like Jeff. Do I think he should have won? Not really.

When I watched the reunion special, I completely understood Mary Beth's response to the question of whether she would watch Jeff's show. She liked Jeff as a person but didn't want to watch his show.

I think it's because his POV of sandwiches comes across as juvenile and unsophisticated. Most people can make a sandwich and not mess it up.

However, I will say that not anyone can make every type of sandwich. I think Penny actually had it right. If I watch Jeff's show, it won't be to make a sandwich. I'll learn how he seasons and cooks the meat and serve it some other way.

It just seems one-dimensional to have something about sandwiches with some people allergic to gluten; some people who aren't a fan of sandwiches all the time or some people watching their carbs.

I'm not saying people won't watch... I'm just saying I would have watched Susie's show more. In my opinion her food had a lot more range. I might give his show a try but I don't have high hopes.

Sorry, Jeff. I like you but I think Susie should have won.

9. Glenn says:

I'm starting to think that Bobby won't allow any kind of spice-oriented true cooks on FN. He can host half a dozen shows, but won't let a Mexican cook show us the "real thing". Let's face it, he's built an empire out of spicy food or, more precisely, his interpretation of Mex or Tex-Mex food. Why risk to "look" like a fraud?

• joyce says:

You have to remember that there were three other judges, two of which really favored Jeff (Giada and Susie). I do not believe that Bobby Flay would not allow another spicy venture!

10. socaldot says:

I'm wondering how long the 'sandwich' show will last.....or how long it will take the FN to change the premise of the show to something that more people will find interesting. As other posters have said in one way or another ...."How hard is it to make a sandwich"??? I taught my kids when they were quite young how to do it!! (they liked helping mom and it was fun). I would rather be watching a show that has a broader focus. Oh well....I still have the remote control in my hand.....

• Chris says:

Just because I've taught my kids how to make spaghetti, doesn't mean they now know everything about Italian cooking. I think plenty of people will find the show interesting.