Caption It: Guy’s Big Advice

by in Food Network Star, August 12, 2011
Guy Fieri
Your Caption Here

The competition wraps up this Sunday night, but before the next Food Network Star is chosen, two of the remaining three finalists will film their show pilots to be reviewed by the selection committee and an esteemed (and opinionated) focus group: the previously eliminated contestants.

Who better to coach the lucky two as they attempt a show pilot? Camera pro and season 2 winner Guy Fieri, of course. In this sneak peek shot, Guy shares some tricks of the trade and tells of his experience filming his own first pilot just five years ago. Will this season’s finalists heed Guy’s advice or stumble under the pressure of their most important Camera Challenge yet?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to see who is crowned the next Food Network Star, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this teaching moment in the comments below.

Don’t forget to tune in to a special Star reunion episode Sunday at 8pm/7c.

Last chance! Cast your Fan Favorite Vote up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. theartsyone says:

Both of the pilots were awesome, but my heart dropped when Susie was eliminated--I love her personality sooooo much and her food looked so yummy. It would have been a kick to see a show from her--but I still hope to see more of her soon. I enjoyed the "Sandwich King," Jeff was great from the get go but I had issues with the food he made, much of it didn't seem appetizing to me. I'm sure his show will be entertaining, and hopefully more delicious. I felt Vic was this visually interesting guy which makes for good TV, but I never really got his concept until the very end and it could still use some polishing. He was still very endearing so I'm glad he stuck around as long as he did even if I thought the judges were being way to easy on him at times.

2. Jeffery says:

I liked both Vic and Susie better than Jeff...He was just never very interesting to me while I liked the personalities and genuineness of both of the others. I also thought his jokes on the pilot seemed very rehearsed and unnatural. A show about sandwiches could be ok but if this is, say, a 3 sandwich a show kinda thing, how long before he runs out of ideas, or gives us something like liverworst, grapefruit segments and goat cheese on pumpernickel?

3. Karen says:

Congratulations Jeff! We are looking forward to watching your show and seeing what ideas you bring to the table.

Regarding the reunion show, can anyone tell me why Mary Beth was so anti-Jeff? I understand that he tried to hug and comfort her when she was not open to that but why is she still holding a grudge? Was there something I missed?

• Chris N. says:

Marybeth just finally showed her true colors as the phony, vindictive, classless waste of space that she really is. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. Kris says:

Jeff is a funny guy and makes a mean sandwich. Great, but the whole personality thing is starting to wear of and foodnetwork is beginning to look more like a reality show with a bunch of chef wannabe's.

5. dee says:

Oh well guess no one at fn Has heard that lunch meat is being reported to be bad for us by the Government these days . Guess Chicago (midwest) needed to be represented on fn. Jeff's ok for that. He fits the bill but to bad his point of view isn't a better one. Oh yes poor Jeff at least he will not be a threat to any current fn stars. This will be another show sad to say that will not draw a big audience. many of the fn shows are growing old and some do not even show the host cooking only reviewing others .I can do that myself. Please fn go back to showing us how WHERE IS ALTON BROWN when you need him!

6. oldcaptain says:

Sandwiches? Seriously?

A show every week to tell me how to make "great sandwiches"?

Let's hope a more responsible network hires Susie to host her own show.

• Guest says:

Besides sandwiches, Jeff can feature wraps, soups, and salads which are all in the "sandwich" family. (If you go to a sandwich shop, those are all on the menu right up there with the sandwiches.) He can also make sides which go well with certain types of sandwiches, such as potato salad and different types of fries. I think it will be great! Sandwiches are easy, inexpensive, a staple of the average American diet, and I am always looking for ways to make them more interesting.

• oldcaptain says:

Right - because the average family in this economy has the finances to afford lobster and cracked crab for sandwiches,

It's been said before - there's an abundance of FN hosts who can show us how to make a decent sandwich (even more who know how to make sides). We really didn't need another.

When Jeff's show is on, I'll be watching ESPN, getting mt fantasy team ready for the day's games. games.

• luvcookin says:

Sorry, but a top round rump roast that Jeff used in his Italian Beef sandwich is not inexpensive where I live. Plus it takes almost 6 hours to prepare!

7. Ann says:

Congrats to Jeff, Suzie and Vic... to me they are all winners in their own way but Jeff hit the nail on the judges' heads so I am very happy for him and can't wait to see his show,; just love his humorous side. Hope Vic and Suzie still get some slots on shows on FN or Cooking Channel because they have different personalities that can relate to the viewing public. Vic is just like a Vin Diesel and a huggy bear so won't mind watching him too. Pity I can't get the cooking channel as I would love to watch Herb Mesa since he was also one of my favourites last year. I am waiting for Jeff to show us some spins on healthy sandiwches too,
    Gr8 job FN.
    Ann

• luvcookin says:

Herb Mesa is not on The Cooking Channel. The person that posted that earlier is mistaken. It's Jeffrey Saad from Melissa's year that is on The Cooking Channel. You're not missing much. It's yet another travel show sort of like a toned down DD& D.

8. L. M. says:

Americans being overweight don't understand why viewers would need a "sandwich maker"...Good Lord what an error! Judges you voted poorly!!

• guest says:

Yet another fine example of the FN marketing department being out of touch with the trend in food and eating in America. They probably don't even realize the U.S. has a new "food pyramid." Seems to me that the wave in dining is toward fresh, organic, local, and healthy foods. It's not that Jeff's POV won't lend itself to that, it's that he never once displayed an awareness of it, nor did he ever offer anything truly healthy, organic, fresh, etc... And, he didn't always score big in the cooking department -- altho, I guess he did ok for a former stand-up comic.

9. CookFan says:

There is already a great Mexican Food TV HostShow . Mexican made easy with Marcela Valladolid. So Susie would add nothing. Marcela is better... Jeff the sandwich King. Sorry I don't need to tune into the foodnetwork to learn how to make sandwiches. Nice people, nice personalities, but adding nothing to the network. Won't watch either. Please give us cooks who can teach us tips and techniques... Not commedians... You just added to the list of Next star winners that no one will watch ... that is if the show actually gets aired ... You have become like MTV... they used to play music... Food Network used to teach us cooking.

10. Mukphly says:

Caption "Throw me the ball, I'm open"