And Then There Were 3 (Finale Bound)

by in Food Network Star, August 8, 2011

The Remaining Four Finalists

Mary Beth’s elimination was tough. I liked her so much! Her food may have been unremarkable (and I do understand that’s kind of the point), but her personality was sparkly. I think I was most taken with her genuineness — every word out of her mouth was honest and authentic. Even her parting words to the judges were endearing. Mary Beth can leave this competition with her head held high. As a side note, her line of having to work with Penny again was amazing: “Like a horror movie villain who you think is gone, she comes back.” Loved that.

I’m sort of stunned that Vic has made it to the finale. Yes, it’s impossible to dislike the guy, but he has had some memorable fumbles throughout this competition. But hey, how you recover from your fumbles is what people respect. My hat goes off to the “Mama’s Boy.”

Susie has a smile that lights up a room. Apparently her food is pleasing too, but that smile is unforgettable. As for Jeff, he’s a powerhouse and has been on a strong roll. The judges love his sandwiches, his personality and the guy even won over Alton — if he does nothing else, that alone is out-of-this-world impressive.

Next Sunday is a biggie. The reunion show starts at 8pm/7c followed by the finale at 9. I can't believe we're about to wrap this up (and crown a new star). Exciting stuff. I hope no one gets hurt at the reunion. Maybe Penny ought to come with bodyguards?

Tags:

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Alex says:

FN should be ashamed of themselves. Why would you bring back a contestant just so they could sabotage one of the finalists? Bobby Flay was right in saying that an Iron Chef has to learn to overcome all obstacles however, I am pretty sure no Iron Chef ever had to cook with one of their own team trying to sabotage them. In fact every Iron Chef competition that I have seen the Chef has been able to bring their own sous chef. FN should bring back everyone who was eliminated and let the Chefs' pick who they wanted to work with. With only 4 brought back the last person to pick is going to get stuck with Penny. And Penny...SHAME ON YOU!!!

2. kristin39 says:

I have watched NFS for the last few seasons. This season has been the worst. They left Penny on waaayyy to long for my taste. And I am starting to dislike the judges themselves. Giada and Susie Folgerson have become increasingly caddy and pretentious. They need some new blood for the shows judges.

3. EddyL says:

Mary Beth was set up by Alton brown (salt) and getting Penny as assistant. Was that planned?

4. Robbyn says:

Honestly, Penny never deserved to be on the show from the beginning. She was a deliberate trouble maker, and made more effort in causing desention among the other contestants than focusing on her food. The fact they brought you back as Mary Beth's su chef was unfair. Penny DELIBERATELY tried to throw Mary Beth under the buss by slowing down and giving the camera that "arrogant look" when asked if she deliberately slowed down. Penny proved she is the furthest thing from a Food Network Star, and I hope her actions will show any potiential employer that she will do what ever she has to to undercut anyone to get what she wants. She's definitely NOT someone I would EVER have work in my restraunt. Penny, grow up, learn some professionalism, and consider a different like of work!!

5. suz says:

Disappointed in FN, for them to put someone so self centered as Penny in as su chef for Mary Beth makes me wonder about the integrity of FN.
    I find it ironic that Giada is a judge in this whole thing; to watch her "start" in FN, she would not have made the challenge.

6. Suz says:

Disappointed in FN, for them to let someone like Penny even be considered then to bring her back on purpose as a su chef for Mary Beth makes me question the integrity of FN.

I find it odd that someone like Giada could even be a judge when after watching her not so great beginnings on FN one could only guess she would have never made the cut if she herself would of had to endure the challenge to be a FN star.

• joyce says:

I would love to see how Giada would perform in NFNS..............that is a mute point!

• Paul NY says:

Everybody on FN was pretty bad when they started. Bobby Flay by his own admission was terrible. Alton Brown had some episodes on a local PBS station so he had a chance to practice a bit. Friends of mine who have watched FN since the beginning say that Rachel Ray was very different when she started.

7. anna says:

do you take steroids?

8. Althea Blandford says:

Good luck Vic this week hope you bring the bacon home sort of speak and have a show that you would do very proud in my eye. I have been for you from the beginning and hope you are the winner.

9. Ronnie says:

I happened to like MB - I thought she was pleasant and kind and while she could not "cook" she had the personality needed to be in front of a camera. I never thought she'd make it to the finals, nor did I think she'd win, but I thought she was a good competitor. I am just sad to see this show taking the same road as all other reality programs. Watching MB with Penny was painful and hearing Bobby Flay, Susie Fogelson and Bob Tuschman say "do you think Penny is moving slowly on purpose?" only fed the drama that Penny wanted to have. I expected more from the Food Network then to have the drama infiltrate the competition. I agree with "Ken" the competition appears rigged and the judges have already chosen Jeff. too bad - past shows appeared much more authentic.

10. caralynn says:

Yay!!! MB is gone!!!!
    Now, FNS needs to get rid of the stupid sandwich king Jeff. I know he does well on camera BUT how can you base a whole show on sammies?? As I commented before, who can't dress up a sammie?
    We all know is Susie and the judges like her but again please not another Mexican food show. They don't do well. How many shows does FN need to go thru before they realize that??
    NOW COME ON VIC, MY BALD LITTLE MAMA'S BOY, KICK ASS THIS WEEK AND WIN YOUR SHOW!!!! I would love to see what kind of Italian dishes with a splash of Vegas he will come up with :o)