Caption It: Look Who’s Back

by in Food Network Star, August 5, 2011
Iron Chef battle sous chefs
Your Caption Here

No, this is not a recycled image from a previous episode. This sneak peek shot was taken on the set of Sunday’s episode of Star, during which the most recently eliminated contestants – Chris, Penny, Jyll and Whitney – return as their former fellow finalists’ sous chefs in an Iron Chef battle.

Don’t let their calm demeanor here fool you, though. The competition gets heated in Kitchen Stadium as these four join forces with their once-rivals in order to impress Iron Chef Michael Symon, Alton Brown and the selection committee. Will the remaining contestants be satisfied with their sous chefs, or will the latter add chaos and distraction to the already-complicated challenge?

Before you tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to see whose cuisine reigns supreme, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this Kitchen Stadium moment in the comments below.

Only two episodes to go! You can still cast your Fan Favorite Vote up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Paul NY says:

I would rather have Penny than Chris. Penny can cook but it will be interesting to see how far she can be trusted. Anyone who gets Whitney and Jyll has lucked out because most of the cameras and footage that gets shown will be about Penny, allowing a person to concentrate on the food. If you don't have a good sous chef on Iron Chef you are sunk. This challenge should be all about the food since how you act on camera at Kitchen Stadium really doesn't matter.

• Donna Brandes says:

I would not watch anything that Penny was on. Her previous behavior is totally unacceptable!

• DeLana says:

You are Penny should not be back !!!!!!!!she will probably do something to Mary Beth's chances to win .

• Teri says:

Penny Sucks so glad to have her gone and now this? WTF are they thinking???????

• Foodie says:

I'm guessing that whoever wins the camera challenge will get the advantage of pairing the final four with their assistant chefs. If it's Vic or Jeff who wins, I'm sure they'll pair Penny and Mary Beth together just to mess her up. I think if Susie wins, she's going to pick Jyll or Whitney- and be the powerhouse team.

• FLlady01 says:

Unfortunately Penny gives one the impression she is trying her best to be the slow turtle and knows it will be a hindrance ... but then when did Penny concern herself with anyone besides herself?

• richard says:

HEY SOMEONE PLEASE GET A MESSAGE TO ALDEN OR WHAT EVER HIS NAME IS. (MR KNOW IT ALL, OR I SHOULD SAY MR NOT KNOW IT ALL) THAT ALL SALT IS NOT SEA SALT. WHAT AN IDIOT. HE RECENTLY TOLD ONE OF THE CONTESTANTS THAT ALL SALT IS SEA SALT. EMBARRASSING HER. WELL ALDEN WRONG AGAIN.. BECAUSE HEAR ARE THE FACTS.

Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater, usually with little processing, which leaves behind some trace minerals and elements depending on its water source. These insignificant amounts of minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate trace minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that appears naturally in minute amounts in sea salt.

DUDE

• LydiaP says:

Thank you for clarifying that. I knew he was wrong, but this network is in total disregard of the facts and think that what they say is the truth. Let's get it right. If you want to portray yourself as a chef, please know your facts. Going to culinary school doesn't make you a chef and some of the people on FTN should not be considered chefs. They are cooks at best.

• Paul says:

Alton was not wrong. the salt in underground salt mines was deposited millions of years ago as primordial oceans dried up. All salt originated in the sea, whether currently existing seas or ancient ones.

• richard says:

DUDE

• guest says:

yeah, but the effin _itch tanked it.

• Iwatchregularly says:

Penny was HORRIBLE! Her envy that she was kicked off was evident. I thought perhaps that FoodNetwork would offer her some other show in the near future, but I think she messed up by being so negative (her norm). She is an excellent chef, but her attitude is so very bad that I am happy we don't have to see her compete in any form. I hope FoodNetwork let's her go forever!

So Paul, looks like you predicted she couldn't be trusted!

• Colette says:

i think Penny needs to be banned from the food network for what she did on Sunday.

• Debbie says:

Penny should not of come back, and she looked and acted like a lazy "Bit^h" when working along Marybeth and every judge noticed it. I am glad she never made it to the final 4. She is a very ugly person on the inside, which she protrays working with others.

2. vert2013 says:

If Penny actually listens to what she's supposed to do, whoever she's assigned to hit the jackpot. She is a fantastic chef, but it wouldn't surprise me if she turned around and stabbed someone in the back.

• LindaSta says:

I hope she won't do that. When she and Mary Beth were paired before, MB went out of her way to be helpful to Penny despite the fact that Penny was being difficult. . Penny wouldn't have anything to gain from stabbing the remaining competitors in the back. . So we shall see, I guess

• LindaSta says:

According to the spoiler, she is paired with Mary Beth. I have to wonder about the reason for that. If she concentrates on doihg the best possible job cooking, and follows the requests from MB, then she will be an asset. I have the nagging feeling that maybe she hasn't left her sense that she is in it to win for HERSELF behind.
      The real short end of the stick goes to whoever gets Chris. Chris can cook. He hasn't done his best here, though and he puzzles me. I'm not sad he got cut, but I felt let down that he didn't put out his best work here. Why????

• LindaSta says:

If Vic gets Whitney, maybe he has a chance. He is so confused he is confusing the audience. Whitney was very focused and I think is the one sous chef who has the ability to push nim in the right direction.IF he will listen to her.
      I predict that the Mary Beth-Penny combo will work out and MB will stay.
      I think Jeff will stay and who his sous chef is will not matter
      Susie probably stay as well.
      I think Vic is likliest to flounder and end up going home. The think I think will kill him is that he will get tongue-tied again. He has had a number of Juba wannabe moments and this would be the kind of situation where he is at greatest risk.

• LindaSta says:

Boy was I wrong!!! Penny did her worst. Mary Beth was victimized again. The judges picked up an what she was doing and let it go. That was sad. To her credit, Mary Beth said nothing about it until the judges mentioned it and even then only acknowleged that 'it was a problem, yes."

• ssdd says:

Penny did a Penny. She screwed MB. The judges knew it and let it go.

• vert2013 says:

I wouldn't say they let it go. They acknowledged that Penny was a waste of space but pointed out that in the spirit of Iron Chef, it was an obstacle that Mary Beth had to overcome. Also while Penny wasn't helpful her actions weren't really what cost Mary Beth the competition.

• chris says:

Which is exactly what Penny did!!! Pretty bad when the judges comment on her lack of enthusiasm and the fact that she moved like a snail - sabotage in its finest! Typical ... It was great to see Whitney back - she is an excellent chef and i think she should still be in the running - yes, I thought she [her food cooking skills] should have won over Mary Beth [I do like her]. Oh well ... it has to be a complete package. Can't quite decide who is the best for the job ...

3. Bob Toren says:

This should be a fun episode!
    My order of preference for these sous chefs would be Whitney first, followed by Penny, then Jyll, and last and least would be Chris.
    Another part of the iron chef episode that can be a big factor is when the final four take their turn in reporting/informing what the other chefs are doing. In the past that's been a weak point for many of the outstanding chefs.
    I predict that Vic and Susie will be the top two in cooking, and Mary Beth and Jeff will be the top two in the reporting.
    I also predict that Susie will be like a giggly school girl in front of Michael Symon. :)

• JamesinAlaska says:

It would suck to be eliminated because of a bad sous chef screwing up
      your meal. "Too many fingers in the Pie." Individual challenges are better.
      Still, it should be fun to watch. Penny would be hard to trust. Chris may royally screw things up.

• Ann says:

I don't know why they would bring Penny of all the contestants back. She can never be trusted. I hate to see anyone lose because of her. I hope they don't give her a show later on either as they have done with some in the past. She will stab anyone in the back. The show will go way down in my opinion and alot of others if they do.

• KimbaLion says:

Of course Susie will giggle in front of Michael Symon; she will downright swoon! (So would I.) But of course, he has the most delightful giggle of his own, so it might be really funny :0)

4. JamesinAlaska says:

Will they be cooking against Penny, or will Penny judge their food?
    If Penny is a Judge, she'll probably bash whoever's food.
    They shoulda never let Jyll go. She was the best of both Food & Camera.

For now, I'm wondering if it'll come down to Vic versus Susie in the end.
    I am not too wild about Jeff. A show about Sandwiches just doesn't seem
    interesting. I just cant see that anyone needs to be "taught" how to make a good sandwich.
    Mary Beth seems like a down-to-earth and fun lady to talk to and hang out with, but is a wee-bit too serious for the show and her cooking chops are simply
    not consistent enough.
    Vic. Frankly, it seems as if Food Network WANTS him. Didn't he blow it, like, 4 times in the beginning? Anyone else woulda already been let go. He can make good stuff but I have to agree with Guy Fieri's earlier comment to Vic about seeming like "Frankenstein". And I'm sorry, but, I just cant get over his tattoo's. That's just me.
    Susie---I like her. She is easy-going and not "loud". Has a great smile and enthusiasm. And she can Cook! Quite well. Now that Jyll is gone, I'm rooting for Susie.
    I think Mary Beth shoulda gone home last time instead of Whitney. Now, I think Mary Beth and Jeff should be the next two to go. It'll be between Vic & Susie. Any thoughts?
    JamesinAlaska
    Creator of http://www.top5best.com

• vereader says:

I don't think I would watch a show hosted by Jeff either. I liked him a lot the first week, but he just doesn't hold my interest.

Of the four remaining contestants, I also like Vic and Susie, but Jeff will probably win.

Perhaps some of the more popular contestants who have been voted off will find new life on the Cooking Channel.

Of the past winners, my faves are Aaron (Big Daddy--I love his personality and to watch his show--even though he uses way more spice than I would) and Guy Fieri (but I watch him on Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives rather than his cooking show). I've never watched Melissa's show because of its time period.

• Ann says:

I would like to see Orchid find new life on the Cooking Channel. I don't think she got a fair shake. She was very good.

I don't think people need to see someone on a weekly basis make a sandwick. Jeff should go too.

• donna brandes says:

I agree with you about Vic...the number of mess ups he has had makes me wonder about the "favoritism" of the judges. I think Susie is super in her personality and cooking, I like Mary Beth because she is serious (she reminds me of Ina Garten with humor). Jeff is ok, but like you, a sandwich show does not interest me at all. As far as I am concerned the best food network has is Bobby, Ina and Giada.
      I paid $50 to see Paula Deen in Dallas and she didn't even cook...she didn't want to mess up her blouse because she had another show that afternoon. And the $50 ticket got us almost in the "nose bleed" section. She had Bobby and her husband with her and she promoted Bobby and her husbands new coffee venture....
      Never again!

• LindaSta says:

The teaser indicated that the contestants will either be judging or at least making comments on the food. I got the impression that some of the Iron Chefs, other than Bobby who is a regular judge, will be involved in some fashion. maybe commenting?
      I'm put off by tattoos also. But I try to not look at them much and concentrate on other elements of the picture. it would be nice if they would PLEASE wear chef jackets or some other long sleeved top.
      My biggest beef with Vic is that he confuses me. As I said before, i think he IS confused.
      I don't have anything in particular against Susie, but she isn't easy to watch.
      I don't care for Jeff's clowing around and his lame jokes. I like sandwiches, though.
      I've seen clips from MB's other TV work and based on that, thinks she would be very good as the winner. But that isn't my choice to make. We shell see what we shall see.

• Guest says:

I agree with you about Mary Beth, but I think the final two will be Susie and Jeff. Even thought Vic started out strong, he's slowly starting to get more and more behind in the competition.

• reba says:

someone already said it It IS Susie and Jeff for the final~. check out the final video and you can see Vic in the row in front of Penny.Sad editing thanks FN

• TAMRA1962 says:

I'm a Jeff fan all the way! Being from Chicago originally helps and I think he's tried to stay neutral and plays well in the sand box too. If Mary Beth would cut the overemphasis on cern words and syllables - trying to sound like a valley girl - I could cope. Perhaps. But what is WITH that valley girl crap....It's actually on the way to the valley- maybe not quite arrived yet. Drives me NUTS!

Any like JYLL? The biggest joke to me aside from the bran joke Jeff attempted, is that the judges accuse her of being fake- or not warm or whatever else they say. That's Melissa D'Arabian and Aarti - COMBINED!

• tamra1962 says:

had a couple mis-spelled words...it's certain words not cern. And it's And like Jyll...not Any.

• tonikaye says:

I think Jeff has a lot of talent and there IS a niche for the sandwich format. We have whole shows about cupcakes and I rarely make them.
      Everyone makes sandwiches and his showcase ideas for jazzing up lunches .....or dinners in hot weather.
      I think Vic will be the next to go.
      It's a shame they felt the need to bring Penny back as a "helper", but it gave me a chance to take bathroom breaks.

5. diane says:

" We are better chefs than them,
    Whats this sous chef nonsense."

6. Bob Toren says:

Caption...
    Overheard from the group of returning chefs:

Jyll: Hey, who hid all the cheese? How am I supposed to make Jyllicious Bytes without some Wisconsin cheese?

Penny: What do you mean, they don't like me?...EVERYONE VILL LIKE ME!

Chris: I hope I get a chance to make risotto, please don't make me make cake again!

Whitney: I hope I get to be Jeff's sous cheff!

7. anotherPaul says:

I think Whitney will make the best sous chef. Her regular job is sous chef at Per Se in NYC. If you've ever been lucky (or rich) enough to eat there, you'll know that what they specialize in is exactly the kind of food you see on Iron Chef. Teeny little bits of exotic foods, topped with an herbal foam, with a trail of flash frozen dried pomegranate dust across your spoon, all set in bowls perched in other bowls filled with hot water, lavender and dry ice. She should have some pretty neat tricks up her sleeve to help whomever she's paired with.

8. Wayne says:

I pity the contestant that ends up with Chris. In fact, if the choice was Chris or an extra head of cabbage, I would choose the cabbage. I am betting he ends up with either Jeff or Vic. Part of me wants to see Penny paired up with Mary Beth again just so we can see them tear each other apart. Having Whitney as a sous chef seems like an advantage so I am guessing she will be helping out Susie.

• Sue M. says:

I agree with you Wayne. If Chris had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

• Paul NY says:

"In fact, if the choice was Chris or an extra head of cabbage, I would choose the cabbage." This is very funny. Chris is a nice guy, but for someone who supposedly went to culinary school, he couldn't cook. His chicken was raw on the very first food challenge of the season and his cream cheese roll with lobster sprinkle was infamous. He also screwed up the same chocolate cake recipe twice on different episodes. But the best was when he said to Bobby Flay: "You just haven't tasted my food yet." That was after week six.

• Bob Toren says:

"In fact, if the choice was Chris or an extra head of cabbage, I would choose the cabbage"

(With all due respect to Chris.....) BWAAA-HAAA-HAAA!!!

9. Wayne says:

FN should hire Adam Gertler. I'd rather read his commentary and updates than Grant Dudley.

10. Jan says:

Geez - I wouldn't trust Penny as far as I could throw her - and she just never did a thing for me. I found her harsh and I was glad she was gone - but I guess FN is hoping for a cat fight between MB and Penny. Chris - you might as well cook by yourself. Jyll/Whitney - they can be told what to do but don't put Whitney with Mary Beth - MB just beat out Whitney to stay in the competition. And I don't blame Susie if she gets flustered in from of Michael Symon - who wouldn't!

• SSDD says:

Jan, you nailed it. Penny SCREWED Mary Beth.
      u could pay me a million dollars and I would not support Penny in any way, shape, or form.