Star Commentary: Roasted, With a Side of Funny

by in Food Network Star, August 3, 2011
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas and his roast

For the first time in seven seasons, Sunday night’s episode of Star featured a panel of comedic guest judges brought on to roast the remaining five contestants and their food — aptly, variations on the classic roast. This unique challenge elicited mixed reactions from the passionate and opinionated commenters on Food Network’s Facebook page and our Star blog.

While some of you found the roast to be “clever and different” and “a brilliant idea,” one viewer argued that typically “you roast people who are at the top of their game, not people struggling to get a start” in the industry. Another commenter worried that the roast would simply involve mindless “heckling,” although upon watching the episode, many found that the comedians offered “insightful” remarks and “were able to give the best feedback in terms of audience likeability.”

And while the challenge proved too much for Whitney, one commenter noted, “If you can't take the heat, now's the time to jump out of the frying pan! It's simply a test.”

What did you think of the roast challenge? Was it fair for the finalists to be judged by non-food people? Join the conversation on Facebook and Star Talk, and tune in Sunday at 9pm/8c to see who can withstand the pressure of Kitchen Stadium.

Who’s your favorite finalist so far? Cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. Sheridan says:

I liked the roast challenge, it allowed the finalists to see how well they can deal with pressure and maintain composure, which is a great skill to have. Also it was very fair to be judged by non food people. Regular food people will understand lots of things the chefs have to deal with, but with non food people, this is how well you can entertain and appeal to perhaps a new viewer flipping channels.

2. vert2013 says:

I didn't really think that the comedians were really roasting them. Some of the contestants were simply asked questions about their food, it seem to me that that panel could have been made up of anyone who liked food regardless of their comedic background.

3. MsJS says:

I didn't like the idea of comedians roasting the contestants. I agree with Sheridan that it's fair to be judged by non-food people, but how about by people who are actual FN viewers?

When I watch a comedian, I want her/his schtick to be the focal point. When I watch FN, I want food to be the focal point. With the roast, at least the way it got edited for TV, I got a mash with a little of each and it wasn't that appealing.

4. Hilly says:

Ina Garten deserves to be roasted after the way she snubbed a child dying of cancer.

5. Guest says:

Why are so many of the other threads locked? FN can't handle criticism?

• Well apparently, some people, most of whom have the pen name "Guest" are writing defamitory/racist/hate comments about a few of the contestants and blocking everyone seems to be one of the solutions that they came up with. So, if you want help out, find some kind of other pen name for yourself and be kind, because after all, it is not a FOX channel, it is a cooking show.

6. NancyR says:

The fat black kids was one of the most pathetic comedians I've ever seen. The funniest thing about his air time was seeing the huge gap between his teeth.

• His name is Anthony Anderson and he is an actor/comedian who has been in approximately 62 films. And no, I am not his agent, but calling him "the fat black kid(s?) is wrong on so many levels.

7. King Kong Kid says:

If Bobby Flay ever got roasted, he would poop in his pants and run away crying.

8. Canny says:

What was the purpose to bringing Penny back? Of that's right, the idiots at FN want to artificially create drama this year.

• Sheridan says:

Maybe they are trying to give them great sous chef with great abilities. I think Mary Beth shouldn't complain, Penny is a great cook.

• vert2013 says:

the sous chefs for the Iron Chef episode are always the last few eliminated. I'll bet Jyll and Whitney are there too.

9. Guest says:

Bobby Flay and Gordon Ramsey should got into Kitchen Stadium and have a Death Match where they kill each other.

10. Sheridan says:

What's with people and the "illegal" thing. Enough..