Star Commentary: Roasted, With a Side of Funny

by in Food Network Star, August 3, 2011
Vic Vegas
Vic Vegas and his roast

For the first time in seven seasons, Sunday night’s episode of Star featured a panel of comedic guest judges brought on to roast the remaining five contestants and their food — aptly, variations on the classic roast. This unique challenge elicited mixed reactions from the passionate and opinionated commenters on Food Network’s Facebook page and our Star blog.

While some of you found the roast to be “clever and different” and “a brilliant idea,” one viewer argued that typically “you roast people who are at the top of their game, not people struggling to get a start” in the industry. Another commenter worried that the roast would simply involve mindless “heckling,” although upon watching the episode, many found that the comedians offered “insightful” remarks and “were able to give the best feedback in terms of audience likeability.”

And while the challenge proved too much for Whitney, one commenter noted, “If you can't take the heat, now's the time to jump out of the frying pan! It's simply a test.”

What did you think of the roast challenge? Was it fair for the finalists to be judged by non-food people? Join the conversation on Facebook and Star Talk, and tune in Sunday at 9pm/8c to see who can withstand the pressure of Kitchen Stadium.

Who’s your favorite finalist so far? Cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. Would like to see that all the "Guest(s)" step up and give yourselves pen names that you can own. Otherwise, my pen name for you will be "fennel" (without the caps and you figure it out). So far, you have been racist, mean, and hateful and you need to change your tone.

2. vert2013 says:

are you trying to get this board shut down like the last 2?

3. vert2013 says:

Susie is a trained chef so yes she does. If you watch the entire season you would know that she didn't want to cook mexican but the judges bashed her for not embracing her heritage.

4. Grandma Joyce says:

I am so saddened by the negative, hateful comments being posted here. Please, these hateful and unnecessary comments will destroy the opportunity for the everyday viewer to voice positive thoughts about the contestants, their cooking, and how and why we like Food Network.
    I feel somewhat responsible as I did make negative comments about Penny and the drama I did not want to see, but we all have to change from negative to positive, or this opportunity will be taken from us.
    Stop it already!!

• Your opinion on a person or a subject, negative or positive, is appreciated. Everything I have read from you so far has been fair and kind. And please do not stop commenting just because of a few bad apples (and I think I just made a food joke).

• Paul says:

You're right Grandma. I saw so many horrendous and mean comments about Penny here...far worse than she deserved, and personal too. I thought Penny was rude and difficult and I didn't care for her myself. But the kind of hate she got here was like a Lord of the Flies feeding frenzy. And this was not coming from the current batch of trolls, but from regular members. I was embarrassed for the site.

I think maybe the current troll has actually been a gift to this board, helping people to see how ugly, personal comments do not have a place here and that we all have to be mindful about getting carried away by our emotions based on who we are rooting for or against. We need to respect ALL of the contestants, whether we want them to win or not. Because all of them are people with dreams and feelings, just like any of us.

We all get carried away at times. But as Grandma says, we can recognize that and change the tone of the board. Now if we can just get the administrators to get rid of this troll without locking down threads.

• Paul says:

And I would add that arguing with, scolding and engaging the troll is exactly what they're looking for. If the administrators don't do anything about it, the best thing we can do is ignore it until it gets bored and moves on.

• Grandma Joyce says:

Thanks, Paul. I'm glad you were able to get your comments posted before the next "black out":)

5. nxcenyc says:

Everyone please stop responding to the comments from "Guest". That is exactly what he wants he is probably just a bored teenager, so these comments will go away once school starts again.