Star Spotlight: Comic Relief

by in Behind the Scenes, Food Network Star, August 1, 2011
Anthony Anderson, Bobby Flay and Bob Tuschman
Check out our behind-the-scenes interviews with guest-star comedians.

This week’s challenge brought something totally different to the Star set. Usually the finalists are trying to impress Food Network stars – members of the elite club that they’re vying to join. The surprise guests for the Roast were stars from the comedy world: Anthony Anderson, Gilbert Gottfried, Judy Gold, Louie Anderson and Aubrey Plaza. This impressive panel of comedians — faces you may recognize from stand-up, movies and television — was tasked with making fun of the finalists to see who could roll with the punches and take themselves a little less seriously.

Check out our behind-the-scenes footage of these funny men and women answering questions like “What would be your Food Network show?”

More Star Extras:

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. reba says:

To all the Whitney fans~ let us boycott any appearances of the "Gilbert" (zombie)

• avid fan says:

Wow what a mistake!!!! MARY BETH has to leave. I would not watch her, but then again I wanted Melissa A to leave, and they keep trying to make her noteable, and I do not watch her either. Whitney has personality, and can cook. She takes direction well. Do they listen to fans???

2. Tidewaterbound says:

I actually thought the comedians were very kind. As was mentioned in the show, they can recognize vulnerabilities instantly, they've had to learn.

MaryBeth still should have gone home. While her food might have been good, her presentation was cringe-worthy. Whitney shouldn't have gone home. They asked for the tears, she provided, and they sent her home.

There is an overt agenda going on in this particular show that was never this obvious before. I am NOT happy with any of it and doubt that the judges are either, their own performances are NOT warm or engaging, but wooden and pretentious. Where is the encouragement?

I should have known right off in the beginning when they had Alton Brown fronting as the 'bad guy' this was going to get ugly. I just hope they learn from this and do not do it again.

I am severely disappointed.

• Viewer from Michigan says:

Whitney was BORING. Yes, she was gorgeous; yes, she could cook. But aside from her one shining moment at the 4th of July cookout, she was like watching dead air.

Mary Beth was frazzled during the elimination challenge. BUT she cooked perfect duck--for the first time. She can be funny; she can be interesting; and despite Bobby continuously complaining about her cooking chops, she has produced some great dishes.

At one point, someone told Susie, "we can teach someone better cooking techniques, but we can't teach them how to have a personality." They followed through with that by keeping Mary Beth and eliminating Whitney. I think they made the right choice.

And by the way--no one ever asked Whitney to CRY. Get real!

• avid fan says:

I AGREE

3. alice says:

I am so disappointed. Mary beth ought to have gone home! And why in the heck are they bringing back a bad penny next week?

• Tidewaterbound says:

They want more 'drama' and who ever thought this up ought to be fired. Honestly, they might be getting the ratings but it's only because of the outrage. Dedicated FN fans are being insulted by this type of play.

FN really needs to apologize to its viewers for this.

• ostrich says:

They bring back former finalists to be sous chefs in the semi finals or finals. Who knows? This might end up being a good pairing.

• Lisa says:

They bring back the last 4 people who were eliminated as their sous chefs. They did it last year and there was a debate over whether Aarti's food being great was due to her sous chef or not. I don't think having Penny back was made for drama since it's been done before. Pairing her with Mary Beth might be for the drama though.

• Sheridan says:

Either way, Penny will probably be the Anne Burrell for Mario Battali, She is a great cook.

4. Purple2614a says:

Having Whitney eliminated reminds me of when Brad was eliminated last season. I miss you Whitney.

5. Guest says:

Having Penny back next week proves FN is trying hard to create drama.

• Tidewaterbound says:

They don't need drama just an honest competition.

• lizP says:

they bring back people to act as sous chefs. they are playing up the drama. they have done it before. it's interesting that they got stuck together. I wonder who Vic will get?

• LindaSta says:

If Mary Beth survives Penny as her sous chef in an Iron Chef style challenge, she deserves to stay. Maybe - just maybe - even to win. That pairing seems just plain mean.

6. Doug says:

Susie Fogelson is a complete tool. She puts Penny on the show as a plant to create drama then brings Penny back in an attempt to boost sagging ratings. She failed!

• Michelle says:

The last few seasons, they have had an Iron Chef challenge. They always bring back some of the eliminated chefs to be sous chefs. Whitney will be back next week also.

7. guest says:

Drama in the show has directly led to drama on these boards. Thank Bob, thanks Susie, thanks Bobby - you're all idiots and ruined FN!

8. Tidewaterbound says:

Over the years I have learned a LOT from FN, okay, mostly from Good Eats, Alton Brown, simply because he's the science foodie who explains why you do certain things with food. I loathe the weight scale measurements as opposed to the old fashioned cup, teaspoon, tablespoon, but I understand why he does that.

Many of these instructions are incredibly helpful, explaining why my mother did certain things she did as she's not around to explain WHY anymore. I don't watch FN for the 'back stories' which can be entertaining, but I watch to find out things, tricks, tips, ideas, flavor pairings. I do NOT watch for an ugly ratings grab, which is an embarrassment to FN.

Bring back Good Eats, make it fun, make it entertaining, make it about the FOOD. Teach us but don't talk DOWN to us. FN core fans are NOT idiots. If we want to watch cat fights or other smarmy individuals, we'll watch Jersey Shore or Big Brother or any of the other plethora of 'scripted' reality shows geared for idiots.

FN needs to refocus on what made it what it was. It's a shame to see the implosion happening.

• FN guest says:

Absolutely! Loved Good Eats...I don't know how many times knowing the the WHY behind a recipe (as opposed to just blindly following a recipe) has let me save or tweak other recipes successfully.

9. Jeff says:

All of Vic's POVs have failed so here's a new one for him to try: Moron's Boi

10. guest says:

Susie Fogelson acts like the ugly girl who was bullied in high school.

• lizP says:

does anyone know what Susie's cooking background is? yes, she works for FN but did she go to culinary school? just curious.

• vert2013 says:

She's not really involved in the culinary aspect of the network. She's VP of Brand Marketing, she sells stuff. A cooking network cannot be made up of people that only have culinary backgrouds becuase there are very few of those that have the chops to run a TV network. There have to be people behind the scenes on the business side as well.