Melissa’s Insight: Old and New Faves

by in Food Network Star, July 28, 2011

Jyll Everman

Melissa d'Arabian won Star season 5 and has been loving her Food Network adventure ever since. You can catch new episodes of her show, Ten Dollar Dinners on Sunday mornings at 9am/8c. As a Star veteran watching from her couch at home, Melissa shares her insider's take on what went down each week.

Jyll, one of my early faves, left this week. As much as I loved her, I understand the judges’ decision. Instead of letting her increasing time in front of the camera translate into a genuine, relaxed presentation, Jyll’s personality started feeling a little superficial or slick, as if only half her mind were actually in front of the camera, while the other half were trying to direct her own performance. The result felt a bit detached and disingenuous, despite her sincere intentions. It’s a shame.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Six remaining finalists head to NYC and into the Food Network kitchens. The first time I ever walked in, I felt starstruck, eyeing the gleaming commercial-grade appliances, and flashing back to the many times I’d seen Bobby Flay and Miriam and Stephanie (his assistants) develop recipes for Throwdown. It took me down memory lane to watch the finalists share that moment of awe too. I cooked for Ina during my season also, and I loved the Cupcake Challenge this season. I was pleasantly surprised that no one had cupcake recipe issues (where has this baking know-how been all season?). Except for Jeff, who seems as if he didn’t really even attempt a true cupcake (to his detriment).

Finalists on Rachael Ray show

I remember my own Rachael Ray show challenge like it was yesterday, from the big cage-like freight elevator arrival to getting a contact high from the upbeat backstage crew. I did my demo with fellow finalist Michael my season (who coincentally just emailed me today and I'm reminded of how much I adored shooting FNS with him...did you see him on Chopped All-Stars?  Those glass carrots were genius!). We were high-fiving each other like crazy as we floated off the stage, elated more by the electric energy of the show and its audience than anything else.

Here in season 7, there is a game-changing twist: The finalists had to do their Rachael Ray show demo while fielding questions from the audience. Perhaps that sounds like no big deal. Let me tell you, it is huge. Random audience member questions are a tremendous unknown — you’d be amazed how something as small as a poorly worded question or a low-energy asker can hijack a great presentation and bring it down. Giving away that power is a little like a jetliner pilot coming on the PA and asking if whoever is seated in 14B wouldn’t like to come up to the cockpit and have a minute or two at the wheel.

Jeff and Rachael

But engaging in the audience, multitasking and recovering gracefully from being knocked off a flight path are critical parts of being a Food Network star, so this task is keenly crafted. Here, no one will be successful on luck alone. This year’s new challenge, in my opinion, predicts the potential of a Food Network star more than any other yet this season. Whitney and Jeff both excelled. In fact, Jeff knocked his demo out of the park, and made me laugh aloud three times. I’m starting to put him at the top of my list. Let’s see what happens next week.

See what Melissa’s cooking up on Ten Dollar Dinners, check out her Facebook Fan Page and follow her on Twitter (@melissadarabian).

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. GSH says:

GO SUSIE!!! She is totally gonna win!!! :)

2. Greg says:

My theory is that it will be Whitney, Vic, and Jeff in the final. I think they have been too easy on Mary Beth. Her cooking is not up to par with the rest of the contestants and she is overall not particularly likable. I think Susie was really strong in the beginning, but she is listening to the judges and beginning to fall apart. I think the judges have only hurt her. Vic is beginning to emerge as a true contender, but he's rather inconsistent. I think the judges like him, but he doesn't have what it takes to win. Whitney has been my favorite from day one. I think she is incredibly intelligent, well spoken, and is (despite what they judges say) very relateable and likable on camera. Bob T made a really good point a few weeks ago when he said that she is listening too much to what the judges say. If she just ignored them a little, she would be doing better. Unfortunately, I think they question her "star power" (which is ridiculous by the way...I think she has more star power than most other contestants) so she's not going to win. Jeff, although I'm a little upset about it, is my predicted winner. I don't like his humor at all, but I think poor editing is responsible for that. He seems like someone I'd like to be friends with and that is what you want in a tv show host (not to mention that he's really good at cooking).

3. Steph says:

Pot calling kettle black much Melissa? That would be you calling Jyll’s personality superficial or slick and detached and disingenuous. Good back and read the comments what people thought about you. Can’t believe you even mentioned Jeff and cupcake in the same sentence and didn’t call him out about how horrific his cupcake was. Your blog is good and enjoyable when it relates to your experience on TNFNS. Not so much when you have to reassure us that the judges made the correct decision.

4. Tearson says:

Bob Doucheman, Susie Fakerson, and Boobie Flay are terrible judges. TIme to get people who actually know food!

5. Fran says:

In my opinion Melissa should never have won last season and, therefore, I have not and will not waste my time watching her show and do not have any confidence in her posted comments either.

• Disney fan says:

Actually, Aarti won last season and it is your loss if you do not watch Melissa's show. Her comments are spot on. Jyll was a good contestant but not star material.

6. positivos says:

hey there and thank you for your information – I’ve certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using this website, since I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective intriguing content. Ensure that you update this again very soon..