Double Star Spotlight: Ina and Rachael

by in Behind the Scenes, July 27, 2011
Ina and Rachael
Check out behind-the-scenes interviews with Rachael and Ina.

This week’s episode featured two Food Network superstars: the queen of 30 Minute Meals, Rachael Ray, and the Barefoot Contessa herself, Ina Garten. Needless to say, it was an intimidating double-whammy for the finalists. Whitney got so emotional upon seeing Ina – the woman who taught her to cook – that she burst into tears. Susie wanted so badly to impress and emulate Rachael that she let her nerves get the better of her.

Check out our exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews with Ina and Rachael to hear their expert advice for our aspiring Food Network stars.

Tell us: Who would you rather cook for, Rachael or Ina?

Hometown Pride: Chris Reps Cleveland with Themed T-Shirts

Just like their culinary points of view, Food Network Star finalists' wardrobes are unique to their individual tastes and styles. You've likely notic...

1. Grandma Joyce says:

Both Ina and Rachael would offer suggestions that I would welcome if I were to cook for either. Both seem pleasant so I wouldn't feel intimidated by their comments. Lastly, I'm not a very good cook so I would be nervous cooking for them.

2. Mimi says:

I would cook for Ina just so I can ask her how it felt to snub a 6 year old child dying of cancer.

3. Guest says:

FN seems desperate to promote Ina. The sales of her products must have nosedived after her cruel comments about the dying 6 year child she snubbed.

• subdjoe says:

Hey! Look! Another ignorant hate-monger!

What "cruel comments?" Did you bother to read anything written by the mom? Or did you get your ignorance from reading the blatherings of ignorant, bigoted, "outraged" bloggers who made a snap judgement because they needed a target for their hate and vitriol?

4. Vicki says:

FN seems very tolerant of its hosts do stupid things - from Big Daddy's insult of "retards" to Ina's insult of a child about to die from cancer.

5. subdjoe says:

@ Vicki - Hate, the emotion that just keeps giving. Did you bother to research anything?

Maybe read mommas own words:

PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS

PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS- This all started with a call from “Make a Wish“ on Friday warning me that TMZ published a story about Enzo’s wish being denied. WHAT? WHY? We were already moved on and getting excited about swimming with dolphins. Enzo started sleeping in his swimsuit because he wanted to be ready when he dreamt about them at night! Ha!

I had written about our disappointment when we originally found out, but asked everyone in the spirit of Enzo to please just “let it go” and move forward, as I know he has. I know this REALLY hit a strong cord with people, the outrage over this has been REALLY OVERWHELMING. There are so many articles, blogs, radio shows, even a Utube video about this. I want to make it VERY CLEAR we have NO ANGER OR ILL WILL toward Ina Garten. Enzo made his request and she declined, end of that story. As much as I know it has REALLY angered people, she has that right. Furthermore it is not our wish to hurt Ina Garten in anyway. Enzo found great comfort in watching her cook when he was going through his toughest times and for that we are so grateful.

What makes me REALLY sad is how the press has been writing and referring to Enzo as a “DYING” child or a “TERMINAL” child making his “LAST DYING WISH.” Just typing it makes my blood go cold. Enzo is NOT dying or terminal, he IS very sick but he is VERY MUCH alive and the most ALIVE person I have EVER known! He has two beautiful, sensitive, loving sisters who have been very private through out his treatments and I feel terrible that they had to see that OVER and OVER again. Can you imagine how that makes them feel?

I believe that this media frenzy that has been going on now for about 72 hrs. was originally rooted with good intension. People don’t like to see children suffer or be disappointed. Most people want to reach out with love and support and as a family we are truly humbled (and quite frankly shocked) how many people have taken to the blog sites and media to express their feelings about this. I think the shocking thing is how fast the support and loving passion turned VERY angry, hurtful and vulgar. Even criticizing “The Make a Wish” foundation. They have been nothing but kind and generous (to MILLIONS of people). Bottom line is this is supposed to be about Enzo and he would hate what is going on. He STILL loves “The Contessa” regardless, because THAT is who he is.

I want to thank the people who sent messages of love, support and prayer to us privately through this website. It was those messages that got me though the day. I am SO glad that some of you are not missing what is REALLY important here and that is ENZO. I can’t help feeling like HIS STORY (not to be confused with the Ina Garten rejection story) is getting lost in this media blitz. Enzo has such an amazing strength and character and his unique philosophy IS the BIGGER story here and I am afraid that is being overshadowed by ONE disappointment. His TRUE LIFE STORY is the story that can help other people too. Enzo embraces, loves, befriends and prays for his cancer to help transform it from “bad cells” to “good cells” so it can move on in peace. How many people do that? How different would the world be if we all did that with our worst enemy or the things we feared the most? It is absolutely profound.

In the media this week Enzo has been referred to as this “poor boy,” “this sick child,” “this dying make a wish kid” etc…NONE of these things describes the boy I live with. He IS indeed fighting hard, but he is a warrior, with a HUGE heart. Not to mention an amazing example. Someone was kind enough to write and say they felt “Enzo has far more to teach then he needs to learn” and I fully agree.

I am putting this out there again in the spirit of what is truly Enzo and asking people to PLEASE let go of your anger and please send only healing, loving, positive vibes into the universe. Enzo is SO CLOSE to being done with his treatments and we want nothing more then for him to move forward in good health.

PLEASE change the energy from anger to love and support Enzo on the rest of his journey. This we would appreciate so much.

Much love,

Mama Pereda and Family

xoxo <em/>

• Sanita Riker says:

Why don't we all take a few moments through out our day to pray for Enzo and his family? If any of you had a sick family member, you know emotions can run high. Why all this hate??? Were any of you there? Do any of you know the Pereda family, or Ina personally? Who are any of us to judge? We are on here to talk about food and have fun. Now about those cupcakes......

6. Guest says:

Why do Ina's minions keep coming on here and ry to justify her snubbing of a child dying of cancer?

• subdjoe says:

Dying of cancer? No, responding well to treatment, at least according to the mom. But don't let facts get in the way of your hate.

• LindaSta says:

Not a minion of Ina's. Just don't like hate based on untruth. Don't like hate of any kind, for that matter. You can stop feeling sorry for the dying boy. He isnt dying. His mother states that he is responding well to treatment and is almost done with it. She also says that he loved the dolphins. That' is a much more appropriate adventure for a child, anyway.

7. JosephL says:

Is that a current picture of Ina? She really could stand to lose a lot of weight.

8. LindaSta says:

I love both ladies and it would be hard to choose which one i would prefer to cook forl Either would be fun.. I cook like both of them at various times. I love the simple elegance found in so many of Ina's recipes. It delights me that so many of them are so easy. Rachael's recipes tend to be more rustic and 'homey'.. They also tend to be pretty easy to make. Or, is it that they teach their dishes so well that it looks easy? I can say that i have ever had a problem making really good food from their recipes, particularly if I have watched the shows the recipes came from.

9. Guest says:

Ina's face looks like puff pastry. She needs to lay off of desserts for a decade or two.

10. JeffR says:

In the picture above, whatever is in the pot is making Ina look really fat.