Double Star Spotlight: Ina and Rachael

by in Behind the Scenes, July 27, 2011
Ina and Rachael
Check out behind-the-scenes interviews with Rachael and Ina.

This week’s episode featured two Food Network superstars: the queen of 30 Minute Meals, Rachael Ray, and the Barefoot Contessa herself, Ina Garten. Needless to say, it was an intimidating double-whammy for the finalists. Whitney got so emotional upon seeing Ina – the woman who taught her to cook – that she burst into tears. Susie wanted so badly to impress and emulate Rachael that she let her nerves get the better of her.

Check out our exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews with Ina and Rachael to hear their expert advice for our aspiring Food Network stars.

Tell us: Who would you rather cook for, Rachael or Ina?

Hometown Pride: Chris Reps Cleveland with Themed T-Shirts

Just like their culinary points of view, Food Network Star finalists' wardrobes are unique to their individual tastes and styles. You've likely notic...

1. diane says:

Re; Christine, It really doesn't matter who wins or loses FNS. They are all winners, they have been given a huge opportunity and they will make of it what they will. The show is merely there for our viewing entertainment. You think if Guy had lost it would have squelched his enthusiasm for food or people? Just saying even Adam G's and Kels's love for the industry/food has not abolished their hopes and dreams. It's just the journey that's fun to watch. You have to start somewhere!

2. Kim says:

Never been a fan of Ina and never will. The next time a child with cancer requests to see you, maybe you should take him up on that and NOT write him a letter apologizing JUST because your show is losing viewers. These Food Network Stars are comical.

3. Glenna Stone says:

Brooke Johnson....hire me please for the pre-selection committee. In other words to help you and your staff cull through those "thousands" of applicants. I am an avid viewer and can spot talent in two seconds. You can reach me at jappiegs@hotmail.com. I know for sure that I can come up with better selections than your current staff has been able to in the past seasons. NO winners but Guy year after year. ...

4. Sarah says:

Interesting how Ina's hacks come here trying to distract and change the subject.

The fact is, Ina blew off a child dying of cancer.

And for the ignorant Ina apologist, the child was 6 years old. Your attempt at revisionist history will not change that.

• subdjoe says:

The "fact" is that the kid isn't dying of cancer. The "fact" is that ALL has a cure rate of 80% or more, and Enzo is responding well to treatment. The "fact" is the MaW Foundation SUPPORTED Ina in her decision. The "fact" is that the parents, after Ina caved in to the emotional blackmail of the professional hate mongers, have pouted and said NO.

Now, if, as momma and poppa claim, it was all about their poor little boy who had his lifelong dream crushed, then who is the more heartless? Ina, who doesn't know the kid from next Tuesday, or his flesh and blood parents who have crushed the lifelong dream of their little boy because they want their 15 minutes in the spotlight, and maybe being able to parlay this into cash?

• emily says:

Sarah-I understand your point. But if you are rabid about Ina, you believe everything you read that is positive about her, and nothing negative. I just think she has awesome recipes that I love, but that's it. The defense of her is amusing; my guess is she wouldn't give the time of day to these bloggers.

5. brian says:

I'd say Rachel because I am afraid I do not fit the mold of an uppity Hampton's resident type and therefore would never be invited to Ina's.

• LindaSta says:

People who know her say she is a very pleasant person. What's wrong with living in the Hamptons? I think I'm 'hearing' a lot of sour grapesand jealousy. If that is really the case, why are you wasting all that energy on an emotion that gets you nothing?

6. subdjoe says:

I wouldn't mind cooking for Ina. At least she doesn't do baby talk the way RR does. She also seems to appreciate a wider range of foods and flavorings - not everything gets red wine vinegar, we used to call that every day vinegar, and EVOO, that's extra virgin olive oil.

Could serve Ina pan baked corn bread, salt pork, greens and camp coffee and I think she would be as appreciative as if served pork wellington, herbed green beans, carrots in port, buttered new potatoes, paired with a Sonoma Pinot Grigio.

• Guest says:

Ina's a Jew. She doesn't eat pork!

• laura says:

I was thinking the exact same thing about RR. Her whole method of cooking is drowning everything in unhealthy amounts of EVOO, that's extra virgine olive oil (just to drive home the point). She uses more in one meal than I would use in a week. And someone please remove that GB, that's garbage bowl. I've got sammies to make.

• LindaSta says:

Joe. Instead of salt pork, make that beef jerkey simmered with the greens. Ina doesn't eat pork for religious reasons. Otherwise, i think you are correct that she would be appreciative of anything well prepared

• subdjoe says:

So she will cook it, just not eat it? Interesting.

Forget the salt pork, go to corned (salted) beef. Jerky wouldn't work since I count on the rendered fat and salt to help the greens along. If she avoids pork for religious reasons, then the tenderloin would be out. So maybe a lamb wellington. Or a braised brisket, maybe beer braised with a mustard/horseradish sauce.

7. Robert Ostrowski says:

If I could, I would take what has become my slowly-developed POV of "Recipe Innovation 101" and attempt to put it in action for both Rachael and Ina - or whoever of the two is interested in seeing it unfold. The BIGGEST key to my success so far was with a dessert recipe I came up with AND EXECUTED - "Chocolate Raisin Pudding Delight" - on May 7, 2006 and again on March 9, 2009. Here's the recipe:

2 boxes Jello chocolate pudding mix + 4 C whole milk
    1 each - Hershey's Symphony and Extra Reserve chocolate bars
    4 T gourmet chocolate sauce - from Fran's Chocolates of Seattle WA
    1 T hot fudge topping
    Mix together on low-medium low heat in a saucepan. Turn burner off, transfer to a cold burner for 30 minutes to cool down. Then, in a mixing bowl, mix 1 1/4 C each of Sun-Maid golden and dark raisins with 1/3 C maple syrup, 1/3 C Welch's grape juice and 2/3 C brown sugar. Fold into pudding mixture, stir, and transfer to a tightly-sealed storage container and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

• applestycx says:

thanks for sharing your recipe. sounds awesome!

• Robert Ostrowski says:

Yes, applestycx, it IS awesome - but here's the hidden secret behind it - I watched Emeril LaGasse on the FN before and saw how he elevates ingredients to practically the nth degree and makes his food come out magically delicious in the process. I figured that I, too, can play THAT game with what are the 2 simple ingredients in a box of Nestle Raisinettes candies - raisins and chocolate. Nowadays, I am inclined to believe that I can turn my award-winning recipe into PUDDING POPS - remember Jello Pudding Pops from years ago with Bill Cosby as the spokesman? i will look into submitting my recipe to the Jello company and see what they think about using it to bring back that classic frozen treat on a stick - it was one thing we used to buy a LOT at the supermarket yearsago.

8. Jane says:

I thought we were watching the show to evaluate the contestants, not the judges. They already have their own shows. Isn't t the question, who would you like to be the next Food Network Star ? Not who do you want off the network. Get a gripe on it people.

9. JimH says:

I just can't relate to Ina at all. We don't all live in "The Hamptons" like Ina does and we all can't afford the "very best". Maybe we all need to watch Melissa and Ten Dollar Dinners because that is where many of us will be in another few months while Ina buys the very best in The Hamptons.

10. Guest says:

I have a problem with this comment. No matter if you like Ina or not, please be sensitive to other peoples' backgrounds, cultures, and beliefs.