The “Y”

by in Food Network Star, July 25, 2011

Jyll Everman

The judges made the absolute correct decision in sending Jyll with a y home. She performed well, but compared to the others she just wasn’t compelling enough. Even Whitney, who like Jyll with a y has been criticized for being too polished and not engaging enough, brought amazing energy to the Rachael Ray show. Never too bad, but never too good, Jyll with a y didn’t resonate with me. Frankly, the only thing I’ll remember about her is that persistent “y.”

Back to Whitney. Don’t you feel she, more than anyone, has grown exponentially from episode to episode? She has taken some hard licks from the judges, but Whitney seems to really absorb what they say and learn from the criticism. A friend recently pointed out that she looks a lot like Rachael — I never saw it until this episode. Seeing them side by side, I agree.

Jeff was supremely impressive. The man can make any sandwich look good. I am sooo not a fan of pork chops — the thought of them makes me cringe. However, I have to admit I was intrigued by Jeff’s pork chop/applesauce sandwich. I would actually give that creation a try (and that’s huge for me).

Mary Beth has a fan in Grant Dudley. I enjoy her personality. She’s warm, funny and there’s something about her that keeps me interested. I can’t quite describe her impact on me, but I’ll tell you this: I tend to do a thousand things while watching Star and most other TV shows (typing an email, looking for a snack in the fridge, searching for the remote, etc. ). When Mary Beth hits the TV screen, I stop all of that other stuff and pay full attention. She has a definite presence.

Vic: Bobby didn’t seem very impressed with his lasagna/chimichanga (“lachanga”) creation, but I loved it! Chimichangas and lasagna are two of my favorite dishes, and the thought of mixing the two pleased me tremendously. Vic, the others may not have thought that was a great combination, but I’m feeling you, bro.

Finally, Susie J. Now that Orchid is gone, Susie has stolen my heart a bit. I agreed with Susie Fogelson’s assessment that she needed to stop apologizing for Mexican food and its “stereotypes.” I think Susie J. is trying to get across that Mexican food can be elegant, but my question is, why does it need to be? I guess a hamburger can be elegant, too. But who wants that?

The clock is ticking — we’re getting closer and closer to the end here.

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

1. maggie says:

I have to honestly say that I'm not too excited about any of the people on the show this season. That being said, I would watch Mary Beth just because she's warm, and real, but how much would someone learn from her? next, how hard is it to make sandwiches, there are already shows that showcase Mexican cuisine, Whitney seems nice, but would I watch her on a consistant basis? and sorry Vic, the whole tough guy thing is not appetizing to watch. so at this point, I'm just watching the Next Food Network star to kill an hour, not able to be rooting for anyone in particular.

2. Dan says:

“Japan called me. They said ‘maybe those jokes are a hit in the U.S., but over here, they’re all sinking.’”

“I was talking to my Japanese real estate agent. I said ‘is there a school in this area.’ She said ‘not now, but just wait.’”

Those are a couple of quotes from Gilbert Gottfried, a few days after thousands of people died in Japan. Thanks for making sure he got work again Food Network!! Great PR for you guys.

3. Lanny says:

If Gilbert Gottfried had made jokes about Jews dying in Israel, would Susie Folgelson have booked him?

4. applestycx says:

I don't know how the FN executives decide what programming they think will appeal to the majority of their audience. From the comments on this board, it looks like the system has failed! The changes that have been made on NFNS alone over the years since it began have brought it from a interesting interactive process where the view at least felt like we were "helping" to chose a new talent, to an obviously scripted farce that showcases the network executives and the hosts they are trying to get us to watch to save their ratings. Apparently the people featured in the challenges appeal to the executives for whatever reason

5. fedupwatcher says:

You people need to get over the Ina snub! The Food Network has become nothing more than a 3 ring circus! Who is snubbing who is the last thing you dopes should be concerned about!!

6. Leo K says:

Interesting the lengths FN will go to help cover up Ina's snubbing of a child dying of cancer.

7. Guest says:

OK, I'll trade ya Jyll for Mary Beth. Deal?

8. OMG READ THIS says:

I think Whitney would have the best show..(i also said she reminded me of Racheal Ray weeks ago) BUT i think its obvious the judges are rooting for Vic... they were all soo disapointed more so for him when he didnt perform as well with Racheal Ray. I mean.. MAMAS BOY??? At least win he wins... CHANGE THE NAME? well final 3 will be.... Whitney, Vic, and Susie (mabey Jeff) But i think judges wanted Vic to win all along, there hasnt been male winner in 3 years... oh well..

9. sarah g says:

Why is FN covering up Ina cruel snubbing of a child dying of cancer?

10. Guest says:

personally i like jeff. he has a great personality and over the weeks it's gotten quite infectious. i still think orchid should be back because i absolutely loved her. there are not enough asians on FN and i think they would really benefit from an asian american infused chef for their shows because everything is so repetitive. italian this and mexican that. barbeque this. blah blah blah.

as for whitney, i liked her at first but the more and more i hear her talk and look at her face the more annoyed i get. there's just something some whiney about her especially since FN keeps airing her talking to her bf or mom complaining about what have you. same goes for susie. there's already mexican made easy. been there done that. boring. mary beth is alright but can have an overbearing quality about her. vic has a cuteness about him like a teddy bear. he just needs more finess and needs to be more comfortable in front of the camera.

overall, i think jeff should win. i'd watch his show.