Caption It: And Then There Were 6

by in Behind the Scenes, Food Network Star, July 22, 2011
Your Caption Here

How do you top last week’s shocking double elimination on Star? With a trip to New York City, a visit from Ina Garten and an on-air spot on the Rachael Ray show, of course. This Sunday, the top six hit the Big Apple and face their next round of Camera and Star Challenges, which include a cooking demonstration in front of a live studio audience.

In this behind-the-scenes sneak peek, some finalists look pretty fired up. Who or what is in front of them? Tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to find out. In the meantime, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this moment in the comments below.

Who’s your favorite finalist so far? Cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Robert Ostrowski says:

Congratulations to Jeff Mauro for winning this week! Right now, he is getting my vote week after week and frankly, after watching his performance on the Rachael Ray show episode tonight, he IS the NFNS. and only now needs to head to Disney World and to the Earl of Sandiwch restaurant in Downtown Disney to promote his GREAT-tasting pork chop sandwich idea that won him this week. BTW, that place is a genuine value for the money in all of the Disney parks and I ate there before - the food ROCKS with flavor. Jeff, if you see this post, be rest assured I am voting for you all the way.

2. Murray says:

Boycott Food Network Star NOW!!

Say it isn't so!! As the FNC embraces the wealth of food styles from many countries, they have now employed the likes of Gilbert Gottfried - the little twerp who made light of the recent devastation in Japan with his utterly tasteless jokes:

"Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

"I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, "There'llbe another one floating by any minute now."

With all of the engaging personalties available is this the best FNC can do? The well-known insurance company quickly fired this jerk - I hope FNC will too!

• Marie says:

I hear what you're saying but the episode was probably filmed well before the earthquake. No one at the Food Network could've predicted what was to come. Cutting GIlbert Gottfried from the episode probably just wasn't an option. I am with you on not watching it. Not only have I never really liked him, but the episode overall just looks stupid. I'll just skip right to the elimination.

3. Janet says:

I kind of felt bad for Jyll. I get why she had to go but at the same time it was still sad.

It was just really painful watching her go from entertaining, then entertaining on a budget and comfort food with a California twist. I think the Midwest thing worked for her. I won't say it was the best POV but you understood it and it kind of made sense.

And I have to say this as nicely as possible.

I like Jeff. I wish him well. I think he's fun to watch and engaging when he can keep it more restrained and less stand-up guy but I just don't see the sandwich thing working. I just... How many times a week are you really going to make a sandwich? At most I eat about 2 or 3 sandwiches a week. I just don't think I would watch a show about sandwiches. But that's just my opinion.

To me it seems like one of the shows where you go around the country and sample food and it would be sandwiches with him.

I'm glad Whitney is kind of warming up a bit. She's gone much farther than I expected.

...And I honestly don't know why they're going to serve food for comedians who are going to roast them. What possible reason would there be for that? If they want to see them under pressure they should just do what they did a while back and make them present but mess with them by switching their food or removing utensils and you could do that.

It isn't like the judges aren't criticizing their food and attitudes already. At least when they say it it's less insulting.

• JamesinAlaska says:

I hated to see Jyll go.
      I never understood the accusation that she was somehow artificial. The judges never told us WHY they felt that way. Only that they did.
      Mary Beth and Jeff should go next. Jeff id good this last time but I was already thinking he should go after the Balls-in-the-truck thing. mary Beth is a nice lady but not consistent with the food.
      Now that Jyll is gone, I'm rooting for Susie. I think the final 3 will be Whitney, Vic and Susie.

• Marie says:

I was in Jyll's corner from the start but she couldn't get a grip on her culinary POV. It does suck that she went home when 2 others forgot the audience question. I really think she can make it as a food host. Maybe now is just not the time.

I enjoy Vic but don't see how wrapping lasgna in a tortilla improves it. Jeff's POV is solid but the high energy is tough for me to watch at times. I've really gotten to like Susie & would love to see her in the final 3. Personally like Mary Beth but am unsure of her staying power.

4. Myowntime says:

Janet, my husband has the same concerns about Jeff's POV not giving him much to work with. However, Jeff says, "Make any meal a sandwich, make any sandwich a meal." So, I think he has left room for more than sandwiches. He could take some popular sandwich ideas and make them meals, etc.

5. fetagal071809 says:

Please post all the cupcake recipes that the final 6 made this week. I especially want MaryBeth's recipe for the roasted strawberry cupcakes.

6. Dawn says:

If whoever is reading this has any influence, please help change the ugly tone on Food Network Star.
    I never watched Susie Fogelson before and didn’t have an opinion about her until I saw her crushing Jyll’s spirit. Jyll had plenty of personality and represented many of us hardworking, persevering types.
    Susie Fogelson speaks like a bully and gives off a toxic aura.

I’ll put a finner on it that Susie coached Ina that Jyll was hollow and shallow. Jyll was not my favorite, but she was clearly abused by Susie and I’m surprised that kind of nastiness is encouraged and permitted on what’s supposed to be a fun, instructional channel.

Personally, I would rather have Penny Davidi win the thing. But, she was run off and got bad ratings because of the judges whining about her ‘personality’. She would have brought some really cool unique dishes into my house. I wish all the remaining contenders luck in the competition, but none of them are expert enough to bring any truly new ideas and instruction on how to use wholesome, fresh food.

7. Norma Jean says:

I'm loving both Vic and Jeff and wish they both could win but if I had to choose I would go with Vic. It's old news but I was appalled to hear Bobby Flay curse. So NOT Food Network.

8. Marina says:

I absolutely think Jyll got a raw deal in this episode. She could not win either way. If she had broken down, they would have scolded her for not being professional. I would handled it exactly the way she did when Wolfgang Puck offered a lesson. She did the right thing and handled herself gracefully when embarrassed. I think the judges missed the mark big time with Jyll on this episode.

9. terichef says:

I am really starting to enjoy the show at this point as the "real" contenders are out to cook and perform at their best level. I worry that Vic is appearing uncomfortable and slightly stiff; might be getting over level now. Whitney needs to continue to strive and keep "loose and fun" Mary Beth keep your humor and some "talk paths" for demo's. Susie's looks like a great person; I'm just not getting per POV (remember Melissa's advise on having a few dessert receipies on hand) and Jeff hasn't caught my attention, yet; as entertaining and likeable doesn't equate to a quality cooking show; need to share the culinary expertise. My POV: I think Whitney and Mary Beth will be the final two. It's all a fun waiting game; and hopefully the new show will be something to entertain all of us this fall.

10. Joy says:

"Look at Susie Fogelson's jacket!"