Caption It: And Then There Were 6

by in Behind the Scenes, Food Network Star, July 22, 2011
Your Caption Here

How do you top last week’s shocking double elimination on Star? With a trip to New York City, a visit from Ina Garten and an on-air spot on the Rachael Ray show, of course. This Sunday, the top six hit the Big Apple and face their next round of Camera and Star Challenges, which include a cooking demonstration in front of a live studio audience.

In this behind-the-scenes sneak peek, some finalists look pretty fired up. Who or what is in front of them? Tune in this Sunday at 9pm/8c to find out. In the meantime, we’re challenging you, Star fans, to write your best captions (tastefully appropriate, please) for this moment in the comments below.

Who’s your favorite finalist so far? Cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Lenny, from the Rebel

1. Schnibben says:

Jyll's audience queation was unfair and difficult. I love "Mexican Made Easy", and I want to know how Susie show will be different from that? Food Network already has a bubbly young woman of Mexican background with great food. I would have loved to watch Jyll's show. I like to entertain and I would love to be able to do it with her finesse.

• Stoutboy says:

Homer Simpson would say it best: Jyll is "BOOORRRIINNG!" That said, she should've gotten the ax next week. Mary Beth has survived three weeks longer than she should have--Orchid should still remain instead of her.

• Ginger says:

Agreed! However, the judges think Mary Beth is funny and can bring more entertainment value to FN. They thought Orchid lacked this aspect even though she could cook up some good food. I would rather watch Orchid than MB.

• JamesinAlaska says:

I have never understood in all of this, just exactly how and why any of the judges thought that Jyll was somehow artificial or not genuine. I dont agree with that at all, and I wonder whatever made them think so.
      At least Jyll wasn't loud like Chris or full of ego. And even Giada, in an early episode said Jyll's camera presentation was "spot-on!"...then later, it seems as if Giada and Susie F. turn on Jyll. I never understood why, or why their perceptions of Jyll seemed to change. She made excellent Beer-brahts that Bob T. just loved. Her coconut shrimp was a real hit, later. And in this episode where she got eliminated, I think it was Bobby Flay that even said her (what was it? Chocolate-lime something?) was "perfectly balanced" in its flavors. I really thought Jyll was the best blend of food & camera.
      Now that she's gone, I'm rooting for Susie. She is warm and opening up more--and we know she can cook.

2. Princesa says:

I think that Mary Beth should have been let go instead of Jyll. I do not care much for Jeff, Vic is more interesting, although I would have loved if they had kept Orchid.

3. Denise says:

Finally Jyll is gone and hopefully next week it will be MaryBeth. And yes Penny was difficult but her food was interesting and different from the others. I would have watched her show on FN. They could have groomed her to appeal to the audience.

• Maggie says:

Yes, but can any of them really cook? They've all turned out dishes that were inedible -- according to the judges. At least tonight, we didn't have to stomach Giada.

• Paul says:

Cheers to no Giada tonight

• Ginger says:

Are we watching the same show? I thought the judges like Jeff and Whitney's food tonight? I know they didn't like Mary Beth's, Vic's and Jyll's.

• Paul says:

Actually they did like Mary Beth's Shepherd's Pie...their comments on her were just camera stuff...losing energy as time clicks on and finding nothing to talk about

• prairiestate says:

Sorry, but I don't agree about Penny at all...You can't teach niceness and likeability...If you're not nice and not likeable, you're just not, and Penny was not, and that can't be taught, groomed or coached.

• Ginger says:

I agree. Even when Penny put on her best smile, tried to get along with everyone and tried so hard to be likeable in front of the camera, I simply found her unappealing and faked. Can you imagine Penny working with the producers and other staff members at FN? The judges could tell that she was aggressive and liked to take all the credits. She looked like someone that would be hard to work with, professionally.

4. Paul says:

I don't get it with the negativity with Mary Beth, other than inconsistent food...yes I know this is a cooking show, but she stepped it up in both challenges tonight food wise. She is easily one of the most humorous finalists left, outside of Jeff who did standup for a living, and even he goes over the line sometimes. I actually really like Mary Beth's personality, more than Whitney's...but on par with Susie's...I dunno, I just feel Mary Beth could do well with her own show...but she probably won't win this competition. Hopefully FN gives her own show sometime in the future.

• Lilly says:

I so agree! Mary Beth is awesome, and she has enough experience thinking on her feet to carry her through. I also like her better than Whitney -- I feel Whitney is warming, but I just don't see her ever making that full transition. At least with Mary Beth you feel the warmth of a personality there.

Susi needs to calm down, she's making me a bit nervous now.

• Stoutboy says:

Name one remotely humorous thing MB has said. (I don't think Jeff is funny for that matter--but he's a better chef). Mary Beth does not have the cooking chops to have a cooking show. If they wanted to do a travelog with her and let her flit around describing food, that's one thing--I won't watch her, but that's another post, fine, but she should not be permitted anywhere NEAR a kitchen.

• Paul says:

It's not what she says, it's the way she says things... it's a comedic witty timing thing, hard to explain...Aarti has it too...I understand that her food has not always been consistent, I get it...but I watch my fave FN hosts more for their personalities than about trying to learn something...but even with Mary Beth, I've learned a couple "tips" about adding certain things to stuff I make to make the food better.

5. director101 says:

Once Susie opened her mouth and started talking about her husband "the hunter," she lost me. I wouldn't watch her show if it were up against a live bingo broadcast .....

6. subdjoe says:

Hot DAMN! They finally saw through Jyll and her plastic facade!

And were did Jeff finally find a personality that isn't drunken fratrat? His yelling gets old though.

7. T.S says:

Jyll is gone this week next week it will be definitely Mary Beth I'm surprised she made it this far. Whitney is confident but very boring even off camera. Jeff, Vic and Susie should be in the finals. Susie bombed this week and I think she is just all over the place and FN already have Mexican food shows. Vic should be the winner but he needs to loosen up more Jeff is ok but kinda goofy sometimes.

• Paul says:

am I missing something? FN has HAD latin cooking shows but they're all gone now...first it was Ingrid Hoffman, then Daisy Martinez, then that cutesy one that was on Saturday mornings and she's gone now too. Who else is on that cooks Mexican/Latin food?

• favdish says:

Why would anyone want to watch a person with tattoos all over their arms cook! Isn't that unappealing? I would lose my appetite. Unless Vic wore long sleeves to cook, I would never watch him cook.

8. Ginger says:

She is not attractive inside or outside. I would not watch her show even if you paid me to watch her on TV.

9. Nelly says:

As a Mexican, born in Guadalajara, I understand there are many stereotypes that come along with our ethnicity and therefore Susie comes across of being "ashamed" of being Mexican. I hope she realizes the fact that not everyone is going to like you no matter where you are, or who you are. Every person in this world has someone that doesn't like them or is not accepted for some reason. I think if she brushes off these thoughts and focuses on sharing with Millions of people; how to make delicious Mexican food, she can be a success because Millions of people really do like Mexican Food! I would watch her show if she shared this on tv! There is a reason why God made Susie a Mexican :)

• Clara says:

I agree. Mexican food as most Americans know it comes across as... low-brow? I don't know if that's the right word. Like... when people think of Mexican food, a lot of people have something set in their mind about what that is.

A lot of times people would expect either "it's spicy", "made with tortillas", "made with cheese".

And sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. The problem is that it's easy and sometimes understandable for people who aren't used to Mexican food to think that way.

So I can kind of understand Susie feeling like "I make Mexican food but it's not what you think" would come across as shame.

But honestly, after years of saying "I made Mexican food" and having people ask "Did you make tacos or enchiladas?" it gets frustrating. To me that's like saying "I made Italian food tonight" and someone assuming it's pasta or pizza.

10. Ann says:

When does America get a show that showcases healthy eating ? I agree that FN has lost it's
    direction. Susie Fogelson is a very poor judge of what people want to watch. Too busy thinking
    of who is most marketable and can sell the sponsor's products.
    I like Mary as a commentator and would like to see her in that type of food show , but not as a chef
    on a show as an experienced authority. I would watch Jeff or Whitney.
    Seems like the FN has replaced so many good chefs and shows and bought into the "reality show"
    sensation. Please bring back Jamie Oliver......