The “Mama Orchid” Fan Club

by in Food Network Star, July 12, 2011
We'll miss you, Orchid.

Early front-runner and Star fan favorite Orchid Paulmeier was driven out of the competition on Sunday night after a sub-par food-truck performance. Judge Bob Tuschman told the barbecue-loving, restaurant-owning mom of three that she tends to “simmer” while other finalists “are at full boil” in the competition.

Immediately following the shocking elimination, comments on Food Network’s Facebook page and our Star blog indicated that you devoted Star fans questioned whether or not it was really her time to leave. Many wrote that “Orchid was robbed” and that the judges made “a bad call” in sending her home. Others “expected her to be in it pretty much until the very end” and were simply confused by her departure, noting that “Her food has been lackluster the last few weeks, but the judges still seemed to favor her.”

One viewer wrote that “Orchid was a pleasure to watch and her food appeared to be something I would be willing (and frequently eager) to attempt,” though others were not as enthusiastic about the Southern "Mama." Several commenters noted that “she hasn't blossomed and seems to lack confidence in herself and her cooking abilities.” Another felt that it “shouldn't have taken this long to get rid of Orchid.”

Hear from Orchid in her Exit Interview and learn her plans for the future. How do you feel about Orchid’s elimination? Should other finalists have been sent home before her? Join the conversation on Facebook and Star Talk, and tune in next Sunday at 9pm/8c to see who goes home after the season's midterm.

Who’s your favorite finalist so far? Cast your Fan Vote up to 10 times per day.

A Letter to Damaris, from the Rebel

1. bonhar says:

Actually I am relieved that Orchid is gone. She was just not interesting to watch, I watch a lot of Food Network shows and I know she did not have what it takes, she constantly gets dumbfounded and thats awkward, I would not have watched her in a show. (I always flipped the channel to skip her parts).

2. Lanelle says:

you know i was disappointed when they let Orchid go, but then i thought about it an have come to this idea, "you can't hold a good "COOK" down". Orchid is not gone but moving on with her own show without all the BS with the babies that are left. Orchid you ROCK.

3. Natalie says:

I enjoyed Orchid. I thought she had a good personality for the food network, and good food. She seems like a genuine person. I was sorry to see her go, but I think we will see her on tv somewhere

4. Lynne says:

I still have hope that this year's competition will not turn out to be like last year's. It was very obvious that Foodnetwork was desperate to put an Indian cook on tv. Well, she has not cooked something that made me run to the store to get the ingredients. I decided to stop watching. Right now I can see the judges like Susie. Let's see what happens.

5. Edilia says:

It was not the same without you (Orchid) on the show last night!!! We were sitting on my couch watching, and it was just not the same. You were definitely missed in my living room. Hope they open their eyes and give us all the chance to lear from you.

6. Daryl Zunino says:

Definitely, what a magnificent site and illuminating posts, I will bookmark your website.Have an awsome day!

7. Nova says:

Poor Orchid! We all thought she had it made and had a suspicion they were trying to down size her in the first few since she was clearly above all the others...Anyone else think they sent her home just for a shocker? Hmmm.....