Where’s “The” and “Next?”

by in Behind the Scenes, Judges, June 2, 2011
Star Judge Bob Tuschman
Bob Tuschman, General Manager, Food Network

It seems like only yesterday that we were launching this show called The Next Food Network Star. We premiered the show in the summer of 2005 and immediately you made it a success (you also made a few people big stars). Is it as hard for you to recall that Guy was once a competitor on this show as it is for me? It feels like he has always been a Food Network talent. But look at us today. Here we are on the cusp of season 7. We’ve dropped “The” and “Next” from our show title (Food Network Star is cleaner) and we’ve added more finalists (15 this year) along with new twists and turns to the show. (You’ll have to watch to find out what those are.)

What can you expect this season? Look for great food, tears, not-so-great-food, more tears and truly outrageous moments. Did I mention tears? This show is dramatic, but the most exciting season to date. Here’s a small glimpse of what’s to come. Also, starting Monday I’ll be blogging here weekly to give you my firsthand account of the previous night’s episode. I’ll share my honest opinions and I expect you to do the same. If you disagree with Susie, Bobby or myself (I expect you to disagree with them more than me), lay it on me.

Sunday night’s premiere (9pm/8c) is two hours and doesn’t disappoint. Check out our finalists then vote in our pre-season poll.

I’m excited to start another journey with you. Buckle up.

Photos: Alton’s Best Food Network Star Caption Tweets

While each episode of Star may have been only one hour long, the experience of each week's challenges and eliminations lived on online in photo galler...

Comments (1,786)

1. Hello, real appreciation for the great article and the information, it is really good and helpful.Bollywood Actress

2. Jillian Madison says:

The new name is horrid.

3. Yammers says:

Looking forward to this season! Hopefully the gears don't churn out another Arti....

4. Sarah says:

I <3 you Bob Tuschman! So excited for another season!!

5. Lynn says:

Bob, you appear to listen more than the other two judges. After last season, this year's selection needs to really rock. I feel for Aarti...she just didn't have the confidence in herself and just could not do well in front of the camera. Plus, Indian food is too slim in scope. My favorite last year was Herb and I liked the young guy, too, but he still had a lot to learn. Would still like to see Herb on FNetwork.

6. Jeri says:

I just wish i could cook good enough i would love to be on food net work but i am a simple homey cook not a fast cook and do not know all the proper ways to cut and such i do all the wrong things yet everyone loves my food it is simple and sometimes complex but i have never cooked some of the stuff yall do much less eaten them so i guess i ll just have to stay my own star of my own kitchen making people happy here!! lolol i do love the show and cant wait for sunday nite!!

7. Maria says:

Hello there, truly happy that the Food Network Star is back again. I am a huge fan of the show. I have a question - how does the public audience get to participate in the "judging/tasting" of the food? I would be very grateful to be called in to participate and sample all the dishes.
    Thank you so much!

8. Maria Barrios says:

Excited for the new season and also that two of the contestants are from Colorado!!!!!

9. Adrian says:

Look forward to the season.

10. Nancy Steele says:

Looking forward to Season 7.I miss Aarti, my family loved her food, it was fresh and different , and she was so engaging on camera, imo.