Heading Into the Finale Feeling Good

by in Behind the Scenes, Food Network Star, August 9, 2010

Herb Mesa

This whole experience has been nothing short of a rollercoaster ride, but all in all it’s been worth every up and every down! Linda and the girls are the most amazing part of my life, and I wouldn’t be here on the show if it weren’t for them.

Going into the pilot, I feel really good -- and nervous, but I feel that I have a very good chance at winning. My show idea just came to me as I realized that The Energy Chef concept alone may not be the right fit for Food Network, and that they really seem interested in my Latin culture, so I went with it and made it work still keeping it healthy.

Rachael Ray on The Next Food Network Star My food has gotten better, and I feel more comfortable with the cameras and with my new culinary POV. Meeting Rachael was sooo surreal -- I was like, ‘I can have her job one day! This rocks!’

Caption It: Anything Can Happen

Comments (1,992)

1. Jack5 says:

I CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH TOM'S SHOW ON THE FOOD NETWORK!!!!!.. I HOPE HE WINS!!!!!!.. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HOW IT WOULD BE!!!!!!!

• Nita says:

and I wouldn't even bother watching. In fact I am not sure I would watch any of the three finalists. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see the making of a super star in any of them. The closest would be Herb.

• Maggie says:

I like Herb and would like to see healthy foods with an hispanic twist--Cuban, Mexican, Spanish--I would be a real fan!

• luvcookin says:

While I like Tom too, it was very rude of you to post this on Herb's blog. Have some class man!

• Miz says:

Agreed!!!

• elizabeth says:

not me. Tom should go!

• JEAN says:

HERB IS NOT A HEALTH CHEF AND I AGREE THAT HE KEEPS HIS BUILD BY EXCERCISING RELIGIOUSLY. I ALSO AGREE THAT HE SHOULD BE TELLING PEOPLE THAT.. PEOPLE PLEASE LOOK AT HIS RECIPES (NOTHING FURTHER NEED BE SAID). GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOM JUST RELAX!!
      YOU WILL DO IT. BESIDES I THINK YOU WILL HAVE A VERY INTERESTING SHOW. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!.

• rayelyn says:

i think it is aarti

2. KarenC says:

You've been one of my favorites to watch since Day 1 and I wish you the best!

3. annabelle47358 says:

You go HERB! You've got star quality, star power , star personality and I am gonna be star struck just watching your show. Keep up the confidence and cooking all those healthy and nutritious meals coz am really looking forward to seeing you on foodnetwork - lights, camera, action!

4. Grandma Joyce says:

Good luck, Herb! All of life's best dishes are wished for you!

5. Linda says:

I'm on the fence between Herb and Arti. They both bring a realness and sincere food interest and they're both very likable and easy to watch. Too bad they can't team these two together for a show --- I think that would be awesome.

• Linda2 says:

I, as well. I would like to learn more about Indian recipes, but Arti's "my mum" is really turning me off. I love watching Herb... he's sincere.

• Montanabear says:

I am very disappointed that Arti won. My favorite would have been Herb, with his winning smile, his easy style and his lack of divaness. It's-all-about-me-Artti-am-I-not-cute distracts from the food . Herb brings his good looks and his easy smile to my living room, along with ideas that are easy to copy. I will miss seeing him and although I am an avid foodie, Arrttii's show is not one I will ever watch. Too annoying ! Too fake.
      Sorry, girl.

6. DONNA MIAMI says:

Donna miami. HERB you are what it takes to keep america in shape.your cooking and nutritious meals, and a great star power personality will shine forever, YOU ARE GOING TO THE NEXT LEVEL FOOD NETWORK;;;;;;STAR. I HOPE YOU WIN WIN WIN ............

7. Joanne says:

Best of Luck, Herb. You are a delight to watch and the food always looks delicious!
    Everyone, go and vote for Herb!

• Lucia says:

I agree 1000% with Joanne! Herb has the warmest smile, and such tasty food! He has come up through the ranks showing us that our dreams can come true with effort and hard work. He is intelligent, sincere, and appreciative of his family - que mas quieres (what else could you want)?! Hope to see more of him. Buena Suerte Herb!

8. Nita says:

Herb is the only one of the three I would watch even in a pilot.

I am really pulling for him.

Nita

9. Chokato says:

You can do it Herb!! Good Luck! You're my favorite!

10. Ms_ Understanding says:

Good luck, Herb! You ARE a star, and we viewers can see that you have been one long before this program! You've worked hard to get here, and you deserve it! Best wishes in the finals!