The Top 10 Things I’ve Learned From Star

by in Food Network Star, August 1, 2010

Next Food Network Star Finalists, Season 6

It'll be over all too soon ... just three more shows until the finale! Seems like a good point to reflect on some of the Star wisdom I've gained in the last seven weeks:
(Can't remember who did or said what? Click the links to see who gets credit.)

1 – Being a Star judge is no cake walk.
2 - Simply saying "I love butter" at the end of a presentation won't win you a camera challenge.
3 – Even in a TV food competition, shushing or interrupting someone is still bad manners.
4 - Wearing crazy oversized sunglasses on camera doesn't buy much in the way of credibility.
5 – Bobby Flay has a serious tie collection.
6 – Singing for the judges only works if you're on a show where that's the thing.
7 – Some foods — like say, beef stroganoff — just need to stay on the not-so-healthy list. (Comfort food should be, umm … comforting.)
8 - Chorizo taquitos aren't the way to go when planning a kids' birthday menu.
9 – The Frank Sinatra house is no place for talk of budget-friendly meals.
10 – Bob Tuschman could make the world’s worst insult sound completely pleasant and courteous.

So how about you? What Star lessons have you learned?

Caption It: Final Feedback

This Sunday marks the 10th week of competition on Food Network Star, and after nearly three months of tests involving timed cooking, camera engagement...

Comments (1,508)

1. peggy says:

I would like to know how someone could get on this show my son-in-law is a great cook i know he would win could someone let me know thank.

2. dbsebastopol says:

I want to post on this season (summer 2013) They got it wrong sending Nikki Dinki home this week. She was the only one with a defined culinary viewpoint that was interesting and not already on tv. (Who needs another "vintage" or "southern" cook and what exactly IS pie-style? And, sorry, cooking with all the sins isn't going to get my attention for health reasons.) Nikki was polished, had interesting food and usually good raves on the taste, which we can't do as viewers. I'm sorry to see her go. I'm not even interested in the remaining contestants.

3. Kathy says:

I agree CAM -- i am now at a loss. i just can not understand how the judges think. it would seem to me they should be looking for a "star" that they viewers want and can relate to instead of shoving someone like Aarti or Aria down our throat. I will never watch Melissa D'Arabian and I will never watch an Aarti or Aria. Come on judges -- get real here. If we have no input -- then just pick the next loser you want to call a Star and get on with it. No more wasting my time becoming emotionally invested in the person I want to see.

4. Corinne says:

I agree! Sick of Giada, finally got rid of Serena who should have gone from the beginning. I wouldn't watch Aria or Aarti if they were the last show on TV. Brad should have never been sent home!! I would watch him in a heart beat. Tom's little story was a great idea and he is personable. Herb, I think can do it, but needs to learn to be himself but under control with those emotions. Aria is too condesending for my liking, and Aarti is just annoying as heck! I want BRAD back :(

5. chris says:

I totally agree. I would never watch Aria or even Aarti. They made a big mistake sending Brad home. He was charming, a joy to watch and talented. I think the whole thing is fixed from the start. The judges have already decided who they like. I don't agree with them.

Aria is only set on herself and some of the comments she makes about the other contestants is not acceptable. She should have gone home, not Brad!!! Shame on you. Food Network!

6. Corinne says:

AMEN! Kathy. I agree totally!

7. Nancy says:

I was shocked when the judges said no to Brad but the biggest shock they kept Aria. I cannot stand to watch this fake person again but I guess that is the type of personality that Bobby Flay and the FN is looking to gain headway. Sorry FN I will not watch Aria. Put her on and I will not watch the station anymore. It is time for all TV"s to be shut off. I am not learning anything different. I can locate foods like theirs on the internet. But said to say, the votes are over. The judges knew who won before the Food Network Stars was put on the air. Doesn't make sense. This tells me they could care less what the people think.