Chatterbox, Episode 7: Sing for Your Supper (Club)

by in Community, July 25, 2010

Crunch time is here, and it has nothing to do with breakfast cereal for dinner. Poor Serena belted out the tunes but didn't strike a chord with the Selection Committee. Pasta la vista, bella. Aria had a little memory lapse, forgetting her manners and interrupting Aarti, right when the team leader was introducing their course-by-course Supper Club extravaganza. (Hmm, wasn't Aria upset when Dzintra interrupted her a few weeks back?) Mano a mano, up next. Aarti came out fighting with a killer Green Chicken Curry after last week's dip, topping the challenge along with Brad, who brought his A-game cooking chops--and lamb chops. Who's your favorite? Tom, for his part, brought the salt. Too much of it, that is, according to Bob, Susie, Bobby and the food-loving diners who weren't loving the Unemployed Chef's salt(y) cod. Happy Herb was cooking this week but apparently needs to be a savvier shopper. (Susie, you're right. He saved cash for his team but almost took one for the team as a result.) Maybe grocery goddess Melissa d'Arabian, last year's Star winner and host of Ten Dollar Dinners, could help him--dazzling on-air this episode and online live tonight, offering up commentary and dinner ideas alike. Tell us which finalists' recipes you're making at home this week, then check out the chat transcript below for the way, the truth, the light--all sorts of fan fare, so to speak. Next swank Supper Club, Melissa's invited, and so are you.

Do You Want to Be on the Food Network Star Finale? — Find Out How

Food Network Star fans will have a chance to ask Alton, Bobby, Giada and all 12 finalists questions during the final episode, which airs August 10 at ...

Comments (1,757)

1. With her now having an east coast location, I look forward to hearing, plus learning, about the latest in the fashion world. And take a few shopping trips!!

• pasha2k says:

i dislike marty and nicky, and wonder why the judges are so taken with them, they both are horrible

2. Joyce says:

i am happy to see that she is finally gone! Loved her energy but she drove me crazy! Brianna should have stayed for at least one more week. Brad is my favorite, Arti is a close second! Aria is deceptive...not a team player! Tom is confused and Herb is likeable but how often can you say that! Brad is my favorite!

• Joyce says:

Giada does not seen to like Brad.................................

• Diana says:

I'm glad she is gone as well. I think she should have left before this time. I'm getting really irritated with both this show and Design star over all the group challenges. These are individual competitions for an individual "prize" and they need to be able to be seen as individuals and not be bogged down by a group.

• SusanS says:

Aria was my favorite early on but she's completely lost me with this week's behavior. It's inexusable. I'm glad Aarti did so well and she did so poorly. I suspect that unless she comes up with a 'WOW' performance next week, she'll be sent packing.

• Annie says:

Liked Serena, but knew she could not cut it - Brad is my favorite. I am sorry, but AAhti Pahti will drive me nuts!! I will not watch her show. Brad's food is very good - tried his chicken cordon bleu from last week and it was really good!!

• What do you mean Aria is not a team player? Re watch the episode...in nearly every scene during the foodie challenge, Aria is seen actively DOING something - folding the napkins, setting out the dishes, plating food while Aarti stands at the back by a pile of plates or barks an order and then walks away. Furthermore, a good 'team leader' doesn't just stand around letting the first course be served and just sit there getting cold, until someone (Aria) finally says something like 'Are you going to do the introduction? " Oh yeh! There's an idea!

As for the negative sound bites, I have no doubt that the producers ask leading questions about ALL the contestants (so what has to happen for you to beat Aarti? So what do you think of Serena's sticking to Italian food all the time? How did you think Aria's potato and cereal dish looked?) And they just edit and pick the ones that fit the storyline they are trying to convey. If you notice there are a LOT of sound bites over action scenes that may or may not have been taken from that episode's context.

• froglefemme says:

I for one will not watch a food network program featuring Aria after last nights show. What a backstabber! I have that enough in my day to day life, I don't need it from something that I enjoy.

• Condor27 says:

i have to agree w/beachinfrizzy somewhat....Aria did help everyone else and it seemed had to lead Aarti a bit about the introductions....I was not impressed tho with Aria's presentation....I am thinking she is worrying a bit too much about how many wins Aarti has....and I could see the dismay when she actually "hugged" Aarti after she was announced the winner but her heart wasn't in it....not that I BLAME her...she wants to win too. I also feel bad for Tom...wish he'd get it together but my thought for the final 4 is Aarti, Aria, Brad and Herb...I think they are gonna ditch Tom...your thoughts?

• Right I wasn't impressed with Aria's presentation either...I didn't blame her for interrupting Aarti but then she got the 'spotlight' and didn't have anything to say either! "Hi! What a good looking crowd!" etc. Just get to the food already. Bobby said they were going to be hungry.

• natalie says:

Couldn't agree more. Aria is underhanded and rude. She should go next. Brad is also the fave in our family.

• Cyndi says:

I'm with Irina...no one really pops out this season. However, I would like for someone to tell Aria and Brad to be themselves as they are in the "back-stage" interviews...as they describe their food, themselves, tell their stories...if they were both that honest and relaxed during their on-camera presentations, then they would both really rise to the top!! (Which is something I would love to see!) Aria, however, needs to get over her jealousy of AArti...it's going to be her downfall if she doesn't. Aarti is likeable and is a natural, but she is much too one-note for me. Tom is a great chef and is also quite likable, but he is WAY too sloppy...I know it's part of his persona, but I think he really needs to clean up his act and refine his presentation skills to be more credible. I would love to see Herb rise to the top with his new-found Spanish-based cuisine...and if he thought about it, he could still infuse the flavors while still making it healthy...what a concept! I think this will be a tough decision week...

• Lynne Van Evera says:

C yndi, your comment was one I could have written myself. Serena got criticized for making only Italian food, Hello, she's cooking what she knows best. Tom seems to be a good guy but too sloppy. It's curious that the network chose him. It might be that he'll get clean shaven just before the finals, I like Arrti's personality but I don't like curry, Aria is similar to Melissa D"Arabian and Sunny Anderson so what new coulod she bring to the network?

• Cilantro19 says:

Although Aria has gone to the middle, i liked her. I never thought she would be so manipulative. Starting the last episode, she kept saying she wanted to take advantage of Aarti doing poorly. But her comments and behavior this week with Aarti? COMPLETELY made me dislike her. Even if she were doing super well, her 'step on someone to get ahead' attitude would not have been acceptable. But to be doing poorly, and letting her fangs show? Aria, character, character, character. You just made a lot of people decide you should be eliminated.

• Joanna says:

Yes Arti is close but does she know how to make any meals that don't include Curry, yuck !

• Lynne says:

I am glad Brianna is gone. She did not relate to her audience which would make any show she would get not last long, I love Arti but am concerned that any show she would get would be one note, Indian. I'm not interested in that, I guess Brad would be my next pick., I was pushing for Aria until she started playing "dirty". I like Tom but he will have to clean up his personal appearence to a t.v. show. Herb is likeable but that's about it for me.

• Delisa says:

I'm glad she is gone as well. I thought she should have been cut a while ago. She drove me crazy. I like Brad too, but he needs to step it up a notch.

3. Dee says:

I'm glad to see Aarti coming back strong after a poor effort last week. Its says a lot that she won the live audience challenge a few episodes back, and now the "foodies' challenge this week. Her loverly personality, ability to connect to audiences, and consistently tasty food has to put her at the top of the list.

I would rank the remaining contestants: Aarti, Brad, Herb, Aria, Tom, with Aarti and Brad being the clear front-runners.

• barbsnd says:

I agree 100% with your rankings! Aarti is delightful and Brad is a close second. I'll be shocked in Aarti doesn't win but I would love to see something good happen for Brad as well.

• Rebecca27 says:

Ditto! =D

• bonsall says:

I cannot stand listening or watching Aarti. Could you actually watch her cook each and every week with curry? Boring...Brad has something to offer us - he can actually cook and he is pleasant to watch and easy to listen to. I think I could learn and better yet, cook his recipes. At least, I would want to, but cook anything Aarti has made - no way.

• Dee says:

Sure, I'd love to watch her. And I like Brad also. You seem to be under the impression that any food with Indian spices in it is "curry". Not so. I've taken a look at Aarti's online show, and there is diversity in her cooking.

If you don't like her look or the way she sounds when she talks, that's a matter of personal opinion I guess. I think she's adorable, has a great personality, and she'll attract an enthusiastic audience. She's excelled at almost all the challenges where she had to charm party guests or a live audience, after all.

4. @rt12 says:

Serena should not have gone home. It should have been Aria, plain and simple. Awful food and presentations and being rude to Aarti at that.

• Dellia says:

I agree...I would never tune in to watch aria! she has a horrible attitude and her food is always mediocre, at best. If she were to win, I would stop watching the food network just on principle.

• luvcookin says:

You know that's not true. You will still watch. Last year there were tons of people on here saying that if Jeffrey didn't win, they were going to stop watching the channel. And there right back here this year still complaining.

If you don't like the winner, just don't watch their show. It's not like we choosing the leader of the free world. It's a cooking show! I didn't like when Aaron won or when Amy won. I just turned the channel when they were on. Still don't watch Aaron. He talks like he has a sock in his mouth.

• Heh. And there ARE people who say they're leaving the country if the person they support for leader of the free world isn't elected, but they don't, either! I never watched Amy - forgot completely about her, actually, until it was too late and she'd already decided not to renew...and I've never seen Aaron (didn't watch that season). I don't mind Melissa but she's not 'must see TV' for me, either. Guy I can only take in small doses. HIs DDD food usually grosses me out - too greasy and fatty.

• James says:

It should have been ARIA that went home this time, not Serena.

Why? Here's specific reasons:

1. Aria has just been so-so tooooo many times. Her food is NOT knocking-it-outta-the-park. I feel the only reason she's even gotten this far is cuz some others have done even worse...but she isnt "wow-ing" anybody.

2. Poor attitude/"tactics". Examples: Remember when she wouldnt
      allow Dzintra to even get a word in edgewise? Before you protest, yes, I agree, Dzintra was scattered and sometime a lil' weird (strangely, her actual videos show her in a MUCH better light, and capability)--but Aria hogged the show....and now....she interrupts Aarti.

3. This particular mannerism/gesture where she "talks with her hands and has all her fingers as wide apart from each other as they can be while her eyes roll up at the sky---LOSE THAT!!
      But reasons 1 & 2 are by far the main reasons.

On the other hand, I will say, no, I did NOT expect Serena to be the ultimate winner of this whole thing.....but I thought she should have outlasted Aria. Further, Brad was right when he mentioned that after all this time Serena should do more than make Pasta so often. I still think Aria shoulda been eliminated before Serena. Serena was gracious and accepted her going home with politeness, class an graciousness. She is a good cook and I have faith she will continue to delight many with her genuine Italian food even after she leaves foodnetwork.

• I agree 100% that Aria should have been eliminated this week. She's undermining and not a team player at all. Her food has been sub-par and she is totally forgettable,

• Sarah says:

I agree! Someone said that Aarti was rude for letting the soup get cold, I think that if Aria hadn't interrupted her, it would have gone very quick and they could have eaten their soup. What really irritated me was that when the judges called her out on it, she said, "I was confused." Even though she specifically asked Aarti if she was going to introduce her. I think that Aarti would have let her introduce herself had she told Aarti that she wanted to, and it would have been more respectful.

• chpwldmn says:

I agree with Art12. Aria is not a team player, her food is forgettable, where Serene has much more flair. I love Aarty's food, and have printed out more of her recipes than anyone else's. They translate super in my kitchen too.

• beachinfrizzy says:

I thought it was pretty rude to the guests and to Aria to let the soup just sit there getting cold. It sure sounded like she was winding up to go into ALL of the areas of LA and ALL of the dishes representing them.

• luvcookin says:

I agree with you beachinfrizzy. Aarti had to be told to do the introduction. It did not look like she was helping the rest of her team. It appeared that she did the intro and her own dish while Herb and Aria helped the rest of their team.

• DDDD34 says:

I know right. Serena is amazing.... you should watch her webshow thing on youtube its called cooking in manhattan.. she is so much more relaxed there and she is great

• Seettea says:

I agree with you totally. Serena's song was funny and added a little interest and fun to the dinner. So, it was cheesy. Anyone seen Brian Boitano or the Neelys lately? Or Ann Burrell? Or Guy, etc. I loved her and thought she would have been a breath of fresh air. Also, Aria was my fav until she behaved so abominably. Lack of character sent one of the front-runners home last season--the Korean woman. Remember? I love Aarti, but I, too, hope she can diversify. Don't care for Indian all the time.

• sarah says:

I agree, this was the first time I've watched this show but Aria was just stupid. I mean, yeah this is a competition but we viewers and fans of Food Network don't want to see someone someone being all smiles for the judges and then super catty without them. Serena isn't really my flavor but I would totally take her over Aria.

5. ncexnyc says:

Looks like Serena's limited culinary range, as well as her motor mouth got her a one way ticket back to Italy. I really found it odd that someone who is an attorney had such difficulty talking in front of people. Yes, I realize English is not her native tongue, but still she never seemed composed in front of a camera.

Aria, caught a big break this week and if she had been sent home instead, I wouldn't have blinked an eye or said a peep about it. Yes, it is a competition, but you win by what you do, not by someone else screwing up. She isn't long for this competition in my mind and I'm sure she gets the axe next week.

Herb found a new POV as well as his mojo. I guess the question is can he keep it going, or will he suffer another meltdown. Kudos to him for putting the team first instead of himself in his decision not to bust the bugget with the pans, but this is a competition and at this point in the game there just isn't any room for error.

• James says:

Aria should be NEXT to go!...then Aarti. Aarti had a good night but:
      1. she ALREADY has her own show.
      2. Even MORE relevant---her focus is too narrow. Brad totally blows Aarti outta the water!
      3. The Foodies thing......it wasnt exactly what you'd call "All-American now, was it? How many "down home regular folks" were on that Foodie-panel? Where "a regular person" from Cincinnati, Ohio ...or from...a town of under 80,000 from Nebraska? The mere fact that that they even used the word "progressive" to describe them, tells 90% of the story. OF COURSE, a crowd like that is gonna go for "culture"...translation: foreign....than whatever is home-grown American.....so aarti wins. THAT time. But aside from that:

It should have been ARIA that went home this time, not Serena.

Why? Here's specific reasons:

2. Poor attitude/"tactics". Examples: Remember when she wouldnt

But reasons 1 & 2 are by far the main reasons.

• Rebeca27 says:

Aarti does not have her own show. Her amature YouTube show is not the same as an actual TV show. Any of the contestants could do a YouTube show. However, in my opinion, none of them could do it as well as Aarti. I'm rooting for her to win it. Although I have no interest in Indian food, I find her refreshing, genuine, and engaging. I would totally watch her show!!!

6. ncexnyc says:

Tom had a terrible week after several strong weeks. Again, we're to late in the game for any mistakes. I really can't see him making it all the way, I just can't see him doing it week after week. He seems a bit slipshod.
    Brad continues to shine, but he to has been flying by the seat of his pants on more than one ocassion. One screw up and he can pull that hat over his head.
    As I've said before, it's Aarti game to lose. She's been the most consistant cook and for the most part her presentations have been solid.

7. Guest01 says:

Herb really has to learn to put his cooking first. His decision to focus on the entire team cost him and could have sent him home. And in fact, by Herb doing so much in the kitchen to help others he in fact allowed Aarti to slide through without having to do much leadership at all in the kitchen. Aarti was able to focus on her dish while Herb did her job, and in the end her dish was viewed as good and Herb's was labeled bad. I hope he learned a big lesson here.
    I wish Brad could keep it together in front of the camera. I'd like to see him give Aarti a real run for the top spot.
    Tom & Aria are inconsistent. If they are not careful they will be the next ones to go.
    I was tired of watching Serena struggle each week with so much drama - kind of glad we don't have to watch her pain any more.

• Totally agree with everything you said. For all the grief Aria's getting for interrupting Aarti, I saw Aria helping out in almost every scene after her soup was prepped, and she went first - she could have easily spent that time rehearsing what she was going to say instead.

8. Bhaskar says:

I am sure and wish Arati wins i see her on her online recipes and she gets good ideas and new twist to Indian food by not changing it completely, I wish her all the best to become the winner, I will try her Supper recipe

9. Baiba says:

Why is Aria is still on? She was the one that fussed about Dzintra, yet what she did to Arti was just as rude.

• Aarti should have done the introduction as the guest's wine/drinks were being poured or as the first couse was beginning to be served. Yes it was rude of Aria to interrupt, but it was her soup that was sitting there getting cold.

• Lisa says:

I agree 100%!!! She should have been called out on the rude behavior since she did everything but say SHUSH!!! Didn't like Dzindra and I will certainly not watch Aria fir the same poor sportsmanship!IGNORANT!!

10. jam says:

Are you kidding me! Aartie is beginning to drive me nuts. She fine for about 2 minutes then you get sick of hearing her whine and hearing her poor, poor me comments. She would be the last person I would listen to or watch on a weekly show. Plus her dishes are not something I would ever make or enjoy watching being made. Now Herb has some great dishes. I would love to try cooking some of his dishes. Herb seems to be coming into his own. I wonder if they are trying to make Aria look bad just so Aartie will look better.

• DDDD34 says:

exactly...aarti is nice and all but i dont think many people would like the food she cooks

• mich119 says:

I completely disagree. I love Indian food and think that it's a genre that's badly underrepresented right now on FN.

• Nancy says:

I don't see Aarti whining and don't hear her poor me comments. I would love to cook others things except the same stuff every day.

• James says:

ASIAN food and stir-fry is even MORE widely eaten and popular and it isnt represented, either....so why not fill that Niche, first?

• SOLEGIRL PR says:

FINALLY IM WITH YOU !!! SHE ONLY COOKS INDIAN AND MORE INDIAN FOOD CAN SHE STOP USING INDIAN SPICES AND TRY SOMETHING NEW???

• guest says:

she does cook food other than indian. check her aarti paarti video blog. She has made steak in one of the videos. The only thing that might be different in her cooking and recipes is the use of indian spices which add flavor to the food. And what is wrong with Indian food ? Why does every show on FN have be Mexican, Italian or contemporary American ? Indian food is not only about curry and naan. It is much more than that. In fact what she is doing is introducing the viewer to Indian cooking and doing a good job at that !

• bonsall says:

OMG finally someone with some sense here. But they must have already decided - I guess they want an Indian show - give me Brad any day.