Parting Glances

by in Judges, August 2, 2009

So, there you have it, Melissa is our new Food Network star.

So, why Melissa and not Jeffrey?

In many respects, they’re flip sides of the same coin. Two warm, likeable, smart experts. Both parents; similar ages. Both great communicators, full of info, who became remarkably comfortable on camera. Either could have had a hit show.

I struggled with the decision.

Overall, Jeffrey’s food fascinated and delighted me. Except for a few notable flubs, most of his food had a spicy elegance to it. The ingredients that attracted him – and would have been the heart of his “Ingredient Smuggler” show – and the sophistication of his recipes wouldn’t have appealed to everyone. That’s OK; we do a range of shows.

Melissa’s bottomless trove of tips and tricks kept teaching me things, and I thought viewers would appreciate them too. But mostly, her food kept winning me over. It is exactly the kind of smart, sophisticated but accessible home cooking that viewers constantly tell me they want to learn from us. And her deep knowledge of budget and time-conscious recipes seemed perfect for these times.

In the end, Melissa’s personality “popped” more for me than Jeffrey’s did. When I referred to him as the “zen meister”, I worried that at times his “steady as she goes” demeanor could feel slightly flat and predictable in comparison to Melissa.

I can’t state this any more strongly: I’m a huge fan of Jeffrey’s. He’s a class act and has a huge fan base. He just got aced out ever so slightly on this final challenge.

Melissa never stopped surprising me. It’s the edges, quirks and unpredictability that make a star. And her bright energy, endless high spirits and determination definitely excited me. As Ina said, “She glows in the dark.”

So – by a point or two – the decision went to Melissa.

Oh, and for those who asked, Big Daddy’s House, the show of last year’s winner, Aaron McCargo, Jr., continues to be one of the top rated shows in our weekend cooking block.

Tune in next Sunday at 12:30pm/11:30c for Melissa’s show, Ten Dollar Dinners with Melissa d'Arabian. Yes, Dinner for 4 for $10. What’s not to love?

Photos: Alton’s Best Food Network Star Caption Tweets

While each episode of Star may have been only one hour long, the experience of each week's challenges and eliminations lived on online in photo galler...

Comments (3,148)

1. This is the best article Concerning ever on the Internet. Iike pandora diamond jewelry.

2. ugg cheap says:

so you'll be able to vacation warm and make a statement at the identical time. The tall Ugg boots are the most versatile fashion, due to the fact they look good pulled every one of the way up and also rolled straight down using a portion of the fleece sheepskin showing. Which has a soft foam insole coated in genuine sheepskin, these boots are really at ease and also very warm.

3. I'm really impressed together with your writing abilities too as using the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it oneself? Either way preserve up the good quality writing, it really is rare to see a terrific blog like this 1 right now..

4. Thank you for the excellent writeup. It the truth is was a amusement account it. Appear advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

5. As a Newbie, I am always browsing online for good information that can help me. thank you for sharing !!

6. Jen says:

This is ridiculous. Melissa's show echoes the whole blonde stay at home Mom thing over and over again. I watched her pilot and god, I can't stand it. Her lipgloss and fake smile is glaring. Will definitely not be watching this show.

7. kkjrascher says:

I was looking forward to watching Jeffrey. I sure won't be watching Melissa. She's more annoying than the Neeleys.

8. Linda_S says:

But he didn't. He expected to win, But he didn't.
    I really enjoyed him most of the time, but he had a few lapses also. He had two disasterous dishes, including the risotto which is a basic of classic Italian cuisine and shouldn't have been attempted in that setting. He should have known that..
    Then, despite the great sandwich he prepared in his pilot, he fidgeted and swayed from side to side to the point where I found it distracting and my husband, usually a calm and quiet person, shouted at the TV "STAND STILL FOR HEAVENS SAKE!". Melissa came off calm, collected and completely organized. And she was again full of those neat tidbits that characterize her work. I love ti. I'm glad she won.She worked so hard to improve and grow throughout the competition that you had to hope she could carry it off. I also liked the way she accpeted criticism and incorporated it into her approach.
    I hope we see Jeffrey in a FN program soon; I think that they are working on it.
    Linda

9. Tracy says:

Jeffery will probably get his own show because Susie, the Director of Brand Marketing-and she knows what sells,-obviously argued over and over again in the final two shows to keep him (review your film fellow fans).
    I think he is fabulous but they didn't choose him for number of reasons other than talent alone. There are some other underlying factors in his personality, you can just tell.

I don't know, just a marketing girl making an honest opinion on a safe bet with Melissa. However Melissa is a wonderful choice.

10. Jane says:

I agree. between the two I would have liked to see Jeff win. I'm watching Melissa's new show right now, andi sorry to say... its boring!

11. Breezie says:

After watching today's show with Melissa I have to agree. I liked both of them. I was hoping she would do better.

I was sorely disappointed. She needs to take a breath and speak slower IMO. I doubt I will watch her show again.

12. luvcookin says:

So don't watch it. There are several shows on FN that people do not watch for various reasons. That's why there is a variety of hosts and points of view. There are many people who will watch her show as is evidenced by the Fan Fave vote, Melissa is winning. Additionally on the 'Who Would You Eliminate" vote, Jeffrey won that by a landslide with 61%.

13. luvcookin says:

And by the way, why do you single out blondes? Jealous? I'm a blonde and I'm currently in college. Have made the Dean's List with a 4.0 the past 3 semesters! Geesh! I know plenty of brunets and redheads who are not nearly as smart.

14. luvcookin says:

I could be wrong, but I think the whole point of setting this up like this is to keep the original post and all the replies together. How many times on the old board did we have to wonder what someone was talking about? A lot! This is now set up like Susie's blog.

15. luvcookin says:

Oh, and I"m only getting a few posts per page too. Not sure about that. If it's anything like when they switched Susie's blog over, there will be a few kinks to work out.

16. luvcookin says:

na,
    Look up right under where it says "Logged in as ..." You can sort by Date, Rating or Last Activity. I always choose Last Activity since that will show the most recent posts and replies.

17. Mel says:

Dam this formatting sucks

na, I don't know if this will post or not but
    from the way it looks who ever is in charge
    of this site comes in of a morning looks at
    what was posted after they left for the day
    approves it, goes on to other stuff and you
    have to wait until the following day to see
    anything.
    It looks like for instant posting you have
    to be on when they are working.

18. Joyce says:

I think you missed the point of his comment! Melissa is more of the same. Does not mean that she is not talented or good but just not better.

When you take a nice person like Jeffrey and call him arrogant.....hmmmmmm

19. Joyce says:

Deleted one of my comments....calling Jeffrey arogant...are you kidding me! Is confidence the same as arrogance...I don't think so......

20. Nancy says:

Amen Mary; you got it right.

21. Gale says:

I absolutely agree. I enjoyed Jeffrey's calmer ways. That he didn't tell us everything about himself is fine with me. Wow, watch all the chefs on PBS, many of them just teach cooking skills and techniques. They don't need to babble on about how their mother died or that they have four screaming brats at home.

22. luvcookin says:

"I can also say that I think I could be a better hostress than Melissa and do a much better show"

Well then, you should send in your video and try out for next season! As far as Debbie, are you too young (college student) to recognize a liar? She started lying in the first episode and it increased from there. "Where are the capers?" "I didn't have capers." "Yes you did." "Oh, yeah, there in the sauce." "No they aren't" " I forgot them."

23. pegobrien61 says:

With that logic, then does it follow that Melissa embodies the worst character traits of her supporters? There have been quite a few whiney 'all about me' people for both of them. FN managed to truly polarize everyone this year and for some bizarre reason it has become personal. I prefer the kind of SHOW Jeffrey was selling, does that make me self-absorbed? Does that mean Jeffrey is somehow responsible for my prefering him over Melissa, and it is a reflection on HIS character that I do? I've probably pointed out a few lapses of logic in a post or two, but it wouldn't have mattered to me which 'side' the commenter fell on. The 'Jeffrey' wailing is merely a reaction to having watched the finale and being flabbergasted it turned out like it did. We watched again last night and Jeffrey did nail the pilot challenge. I doubt Melissa's supporters would have been quite as stunned by the results.

24. Manny says:

Blasted
    Your comment is so childish and immature. Melissa has already won and good luck to her. WE WANT JEFFREY to get a show as well and obviously so does the rest of the country.

25. hinxman43 says:

There were a few bashing remarks and boycott threats, but most of the posts were right on. I don't think the network wants the fans to 'move on' although I really believe they don't care what the fans want. I'm sure the sponsors do.

26. Mel says:

This thing says that there are ten replys but only two are showing up
    Not only that I click on reply and the page goes haywire
    Someone in **IT*** Please check this formating!!!

27. pegobrien61 says:

I find this 'economy' card an interesting one. I would think that, in a tight economy, the target demographic would be the people that still have some disposable income. The "$10 Dinner" crowd isn't going to be springing for the celebrity line of pots or foodstuffs, that would have been the "Jeffrey" crowd. Obviously FN's advertisers have figured out that FN doesn't appeal to that demographic anymore, where we had "Viking" ads before, now there is "Kenmore".

28. cadge says:

EI'm glad so many are scrimping on their kids' nourishment to pay for cable tv. Great priorities!

29. Joe in N. Calif says:

I keep reading "Jeffrey never told us what harisa is" Am I the only one who heard him say it was achili and garlic paste? Not fully descriptive, but close.

30. pegobrien61 says:

I'm not sure 'not describing harissa' is a valid criticism in the circumstances. He probably was rushed, and nervous, they were both fighting for their dream job. It was at most a 5 minute segment, and you have to admit, describing the food is one of his extremely strong points. If he'd chosen instead to provide a geography/chemistry lesson ala Alton, it would have been a negative point, not a positive one. He had to make a choice about what to talk about. And it's possible that he did do that and it was edited out for the final episode. Those pilots had to be longer than what was shown. And I have been here from the get go. ____The Melissa supporters being more civilized could very well be a function of the fact that they 'won'. However you slice it the Jeffrey supporters 'lost'. I didn't actually 'expect' him to win, they broke me of that with the John Besh fiasco, but I still had hope. And it was crushing. It's easier to be gracious when your team is on top.

31. Dal says:

adam is good, why do u think "Will Work For Food" is bad? I like him

32. Dal says:

Wats wrong with Giada? u have something against Italians?

33. Foodie too says:

I agree. I can't/won't watch any of these three's shows anymore. Rachel's just too overkill; Giada's too diva now, and I find her inconsistencies in the strength of her Italian accent quite annoying; and Paula's just like a kackling (sp?) hen anymore. I really enjoyed her early shows, much more down home. More cook, less star.

34. luvcookin says:

Or perhaps, the posters who favored do not feel the need to get on here and make threats. They are very satisfied that she won and do not feel the need to scream at FN.

35. hinxman43 says:

You are referring to ONE of her shows... semi-homemade... her other show is the money saver where she shows you how to make your own dishes and not rely on pre-packaged foods.

36. hinxman43 says:

37. luvcookin says:

Real nice for you to judge people without actually knowing them. In my case, I am recently divorced. Ex makes over $100,000.00 a year. I make closer to 25K. Television is my only entertainment. I don't go to movies or eat out at restaurants. I don't get my nails done and I cut my own hair. And you know what? Every mother I know would go hungry herself before she let her kid go hungry. Melissa's show is going to show people how to put healthy meals on the table at a great price. So get off your high horse and quit judging. What goes around comes around.

38. Blasted says:

Look, don't say it's not valid, it is. Stop making excuses for him.

Really, you've been here all along?? What was your other user name then, because I sure don't remember reading anything from you.

39. Blasted says:

Oh, and the Melissa supporters have always been more civil. Not just after she won.

40. Blasted says:

What comment was that? The one you didn't like?

41. Blasted says:

Oh come on!! you weren't here very often if you think it was a 'few'. They chastised her every single day, and every single hour of every day. It was very brutal. totally ignorant, and unfair.

Talk about wearing blinders...

42. teamjeffrey says:

good for you luvcookin, what do you want a gold medal?! you clearly need to continue your education if you think people are jealous of melissa because she's blonde! you're an idiot, take your dean's list and celebrate with your mommy and daddy because when you get into the real world nobody cares about your 4.0, if you don't have people skills along with your books smarts then your 4.0 isn't going to get you anywhere in life. but of course, an educated person like yourself would already know that!

43. Heather says:

So wait, you have the audacity to boast about having a 4.0, making the Dean's List, and being smarter than people with other hair colors, yet you spell BRUNETTES wrong. Try again.

44. Mel says:

How do you know that they are screamaing brats??
    couldn't they be well manered young ladies??

45. Mel says:

Nothing wrong with Pasta this past week Rachael on her 30 minute show and on her
    daily show used dry pasta toasting it and adding other ingredients and
    making interesting looking dish's.
    As I've commented before she does cook differently on her daily show than on
    30 minute meals

46. Manny says:

Linda that is really ridiculous. Jeffrey's pilot was so awesome. Have you read these blogs? Most of the people agree that his pilot was superior than Melissa's.

47. Foodie too says:

Well said, Linda. In the end I did want Jeffrey to win, and I truly enjoyed his pilot. However, you are absolutely correct in saying that Melissa worked hard to improve, as the judges critiqued her. She was also gracious in the end, before the announcement was made. I'm confident that we will see Jeffrey, just like we keep seeing other competitors for previous competitions who did not win the ultimate title, like Aaron Sanches and Adam Gertler, etc.

48. luvcookin says:

First of all, this is exactly what people have been talking about. If you had actually read the posts, you would have seen that I was responding to Jen's remark regarding blondes. Jen's remark implied that SHE is jealous of blondes. By the way, teamjeffrey, my parents are dead so thanks for stirring up those memories.

49. ckinsobe says:

Well they already lost Anthony Bourdain, apparently international flair is not appreciated at Food Network unless it's Italian.

50. ckinsobe says:

Hi!

Harissa:
    10-12 dried red chili peppers
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Soak the dried chilies in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain. Remove stems and seeds.

Blend chili peppers, garlic, salt and olive oil.
    Will keep for a month in the refrigerator.

Easy to make at home. I am sure Jeffrey's show would have explained these tips. I cook food form all over the world and almost everything can be found online or made at home such as the harissa.

51. Pheebs says:

Total agree!! I think Melissa's high energy is so fake. She reminds me of Rachel Ray who is "LOUD AND ANNOYING" all the time.

52. Tripoli says:

Totally agree. That manic, unblinking demeanor of hers totally turns me off. She may have things to teach me but I just can't watch.

53. Mel says:

Well thats what the channel change knob/button is for.
    If you don't want to watch her don't you won't be missed.

54. Karen says:

This woman is as annoying as it gets. Shame on her for telling the whole world her Mother committed ssuicide. I cannot STAND listening to her much less looking at her fake smile and popping eyes. We also find her patronizing with all of her talk of her days in Paris like seriously, who caress?

55. L-chan says:

Agreed. Food Network made a mistake. Such a strong one in fact, that I had to come in and talk about it. Food Network is appealing to the stay-at-home mom crowd by choosing Melissa, when they don't understand that the people they should be marketing to are FOODIES. People who want those high-quality ingredients and odd blends of products. Melissa has a mouth and voice that could choke you. I will not watch her show - I don't care how bad the economy is. I really wanted Jeffery to win. He was really a calming force.

56. Mel says:

Na, I tend to agree with you, I caught the last half of Chef vs City last night.

What a waste of air time :)

Kelsy and the other girl, (not familiar with all there names) running around New York
    along with the two men was stupid (In My Opinion)

To me Food Network is loosing ground by not going or looking back at some of the contestants of previous contests and bringing them on board or at least checking (if they haven't ) to see about them trying again.

I realize some would not want to go through the hassle a second time but they would at least now know what was expected.

57. kathy says:

Also i would LOVE to meet michael in real life. he seems like such a sweetie ^_^

58. Annie in Silverdale says:

Hi Mel
    I was wondering the same thing. My guess was that Mario was leaving, Even his 30 minuet/daily show of Molto Mario is off the air.

I was starting to think that Bobby Flay has kind of 'taken over' the show as the starring chef. Of the few times I've caught Iron Chef on and off these last couple of years, it's only Bobby cooking.

59. thenaturalboxer says:

you obviously have a computer, an ingredient can be bought from your home. I liked melissa from the start, but Jeffrey is simply more interesting to watch.

60. thenaturalboxer says:

Not everyone is satisfied with "average", Sarah.

61. leyla says:

Sarah,
    Step out of your box. Believe me there is a world out there that is far more interesting than chicken. It will not bite you :) :):):)

62. Jodi says:

$10 TOTAL for four people...are you clueless? Or maybe you're the loser.

63. luvcookin says:

No fletch. Nothing at all like $40 a day. I'm cooking dinner right now for UNDER $10.00 and it is enough for 4 people.

We are having roasted whole chicken with sauteed brussels sprouts. I took softened butter and added in some seasonings from the pantry. Rubbed that between the skin and flesh of the bird. Rendered out the fat from 4 slices of bacon and sauteed brussels sprouts in that. The whole meal cost a whopping $6.30. FOR 4. And that is adding in the cost of the pantry items. If I want to add a starch I have rice or potatoes in the pantry and I would still come in under $10.00.

If you want to spend more on your meals, go ahead. But those of us that have to watch our pennies can still eat well for less. Personally, I would consider the person who wastes money on food the loser, not those that are using their budget wisely.

64. jodi says:

I AM! Wow, are you out of touch.

65. luvcookin says:

Well Mike, that would be me! I gave up a career so the husband could climb the corporate ladder and he made it all the way to VP. Then after 30 years of marriage he had an affair and decided he didn't want to be married anymore and walked out. He makes over $100,000.00 a year. I make around $25K. So yes, my budget is tight. So far I've been able to hang on to the house and keep up with the massive credit card debt that he left me but it is tight. Television is my entertainment. I don't go to the movies, eat out at restaurants and I cut my own hair.

So Mike, count me as someone on a very tight budget who cooks $10.00 dinners and owns a TV.

66. Tess says:

Mike, GET A CLUE YOU BA#@ard. I am a single girl in a Big City ON A BUDGET. I have a TV thanks. You ass.

67. Melissa says:

I am! Actually, I'd love to be able to make dinner for even less. $10 for a dinner is a LOT of money to someone on a budget. That is $300 a month for just one third of your meals. What I want to know is how many viewers could actually afford to go buy all the exotic ingredients that go into other meals, like Jeffrey's.

68. luvcookin says:

Terri,

Have you watched Susie's Vlog where she answers questions about the finale? She says that she is trying to find an avenue for Jeffrey. I think it will happen since the FN has seen what a huge following he has.

69. vivienne says:

i so agree with you. i want to learn something new.

70. Linda_S says:

My son prepared sandwiches based on the Harissa steak sandwich recipe jeffrey posted on hs blog site. We both agreed that Melissa's chicken was much tastier. The Harissa overwhelmed the steak even though we used less than Jeffrey specified. A dressing or condiment should enhance, not dominate the main ingredient, especially something as high end as strip steak. Even a non professional (my son and myself) knows that. So much for the trained professional over the 'mommy;

71. Morgan says:

How old is this guy? Did you look at his blog? He's solving a rubix cube with 12yr old arms???

I really don't think he needs to be on the Food Network to begin with or needs to be in a Facility.

72. sue says:

I don't know where I'd find the exotic spices he would be featuring. I'm happy Melissa won! I hope they
    can find a slot for Jeffrey, but I was really rooting for Melissa.

73. Cassie says:

I don't agree at all. Melissa has a HUGE appeal to young moms on a budget like me. Rachel, while possibly a similar personailty, doesn't have kids and usually has more than 10 ingredients in her recipes - I know, I have a few of her cookbooks and am limited to only a few that I can make on a budget of basic ingredients. Like Bob said, her tips and tricks are so helpful! I know I will learn LOADS from watching her, probably a few new tips every episode. I liked Jeffrey and would have watched his show if it was on, but Melissa has a show that I will be SURE to watch every time!!!

74. Lynn says:

I agree. Melissa is nothing new when you already have Rachel and Sandra. I also find her personalilty to be over the top and got tired of what felt like her poor me sob stories on the show. Jeffrey would have brought something new and exciting to the network even if he were zen like at times. I, for one, won't be watching her.

75. Jean says:

I totally disagree! As a mother of three and a Middle School teacher I have very little time and a very tight budget. Melissa and her 4 step chicken is exactly what I am looking for! As a fan of Rachael's I can tell you rarely can I duplicate any of her recipes in an hour, let alone 30 minutes!!!!

76. vanessa says:

Well, not everyone wants complicated expensive meals either! I suspect not only housewives like to make meals that are simple, tasty and inexpensive!

77. vanessa says:

Seriously, it's only a show! Why the outrage and insults? Simply don't watch Melissa's show and watch Iron Chef instead! I'm sure even you may be able to learn a thing or two! Or better yet, why don't you try out for The Food Network Star and put your money where your mouth is!

78. Linda_S says:

I don't know any 'moms' who just want to put 'grub' on the table. Most I know want to prepare excellent meals that will satisfy their families and allow them to feel that they have prepared something fine,
    Don't knock that Betty Crocker cook book. There is a lot of good information contained in it.
    You want to watch trained professionals. I suppose you are one who thinks only people with degrees from a culinary school can cook.
    Well, friend, don't look now, but Mario Batali never graduated from any culinary school and he is one of the best and most beloved of the top chefs. And he IS a chef.
    Melissa may not have a degree in culinary arts but she has savvy, a good sense of what goes together, good organization and knows the technical aspects of cooking just as well as Jeffrey.
    Linda

79. rickh says:

I have news for you. The world doesn't revolve around what you want. There are many of us who like to see how to make everyday meals that people will eat

80. Linda_S says:

Mari
    I agree. Good cooking shows in prime time. But I suspect that they are trying to not buck the shows the majors put on at those timesl I guess I sort of understandmm but not hreally. I love all the shows you mentioned. Rachael Ray among them. She is a genuinely nice person and doesn't deserve the ugly comments she has been getting. I've used many of her recipes and find them quick, satisfying and truly delicious.

81. Fool15 says:

Mari, you have the right idea. However, the thinkers at FN that did as you say also bore us to death with that Chopper show, back to back episodes of Unwrapped over and over and Cake challenges adnauseum. Until there is a change in the thinkers there will not be a change in the thinking. Fool15

82. terrigpgh says:

Thanks! Hopefully the show won't be "Jeffrey cooks for his kids using 5 ingredients under $10!" (salt and pepper not included, which always cracks me up). :)

83. Mia :) says:

84. Mia :) says:

Just because an ingredient is exotic doesn't mean it's expensive. alright. And last time I checked the Harissa sandwich jeffery made wasn't complicated. Don't judge a show by it's pilot. BUT I GUESS THE JUDGES ALREADY DID THAT!

85. Mari says:

It's kinda of sad that some people spend so much precious time and effort attacking certain show hosts. If I don't enjoy a show or a host, I simply watch something else. Just imagine how much more positive and pleasant our world could be if those who spend time spewing vitriolic commentary would concentrate on someone/something they like.

From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com
    To: marilvs2fly@hotmail.com
    Subject: Linda_S replied to your comment on Parting Glances

86. Mari says:

So are you saying that any fool (or Fool15) could produce a better lineup!? :) I'm guessing that unless FN is hiring, our best hope is that Bob actually reads some of the comments to his blog and acts on them. From some that I've read, we're not lone rangers.

From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com
    To: marilvs2fly@hotmail.com
    Subject: Fool15 replied to your comment on Parting Glances

87. JDM says:

Totally disagree. This is a boring rehash of other FN shows.

88. Heather says:

I don't know if "worked hard to improve" is really the way to word it, and her graciousness seemed completely fake to me. It looked to me as though she wanted her appearance to be seen as gracious so she covered her Better-Than-Thou attitude with all the kind remarks. I really do NOT understand at all how everyone is interpreting her overwhelming cockiness with confidence intermingled with strands of humility. Don't her remarks speak for themselves? My jaw dropped (and it looked like Susie's eyes popped) when she first ever started making the claims that SHE was the one who was going to bring home cooking to Food Network. She repeatedly claimed to be the ONLY one who would be serving that demographic with her show on Food Network. I want to know what channel she's been watching because if any of that were true, there would not be numerous remarks throughout the thousands of comments about how Food Network already has so many shows for the stay at home moms trying to cook for their families.

They obviously were hoping to get another Rachael Ray but I think they were grossly mistaken. Like my boyfriend and I agree - what they are really looking for is another Rachael Ray or another Guy Fieri. So really, you need only try out if you are like either of them.

89. Carolyn says:

Whiner? Don't we get an opinion too? And, I won't watch.

90. Breezie says:

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be nasty. I had high hopes for Melissa. When it came down to the two of them, I was very happy and I would have been happy if she or Jeffrey won. I definitely did not want Debbie to win because she did not come across as honest or sincere and she cried everytime she got criticized for being dishonest. I wish that Melissa had been less frenetic on her first show today. If that's a crime...oh well. She isn't doing a 30 minute meal so she shouldn't sound or come across as being rushed the way she did on her first show today. I have a feeling she will be another Amy and disappear after her 6 weeks unless she learns to slow down.

Has anyone noticed that there are now people with shows on the food network that never had to compete in the next food network star? Some of them truly suck. I'm really tired of all of the Unwrapped shows. They repeat them over and over again. I am also not a fan of the Neely's. She drives me nuts. I would love to watch a show with her husband alone. He isn't always performing the way she does and he is easy to watch and learn from. She needs to slow down also IMO.

91. Wordsworth says:

I'm sure you're an experienced cook. Have you ever heard of SUBSTITUTION? AS in, if it's not REAL maple syrup, it will probably work almost as well? Give me a break. She just can't please you, no matter what she does. Admit it.

92. Mel says:

The object of any meal is not that it cost "X" but what it averages out to considering the whole weekly
    budget.

The Olive Oil cost more than $10.00 yes but a bottle can last six months so what is the cost per usage?Maple Syrup same.
    Balsamic Vinegar same
    Dijon Mustard same I usually have a half dozen different mustards in the pantry or refer for me the
    wife strictly yellow mustard.
    Anyone can nitpick on any single ingredients cost if that will be the only time it will be used but stretched out over time the cost is negotiable.

So bottom line at the end of the day if you don't want to watch her show **DON'T** you won't be missed.

93. Wordsworth says:

Why would that concern you that much? Obsessed much?

94. Clips says:

I agree. I was here almost a month ago, and it was much better. Simple. This is not organized at all, and you can't find anything!!!! If you post, it's impossible to go back and find it, to see if anyone replied. Some pages have 2 post on them, while others have dozens. There appears to be no method to this madness.

I signed up today to comment on Melissa's show, but it's too annoying to stay on here. I can't imagine they have time to read all the post either, because it takes a long time to get through it.

95. Wordsworth says:

Thanks for the recipe, but with the popularity of heat in FN stars shows, pretty soon we're going to see all the chefs going for colonoscopies.

96. Mel says:

Tell me about it

97. Mel says:

Keep looking you have at least 6-8 months to never.

98. Sorry Jane, but I must disagree. I watched Melissa's show today and was totally entertained and have already marked her show for recording each episode! I found her very instructive, easy to understand and am headed to the web site to print off her recipes. It is refreshing to watch someone using ingredients that I already have in my pantry/refrigerator/freezer. Thanks Food Network for adding this great show to your line-up1

99. judith says:

Totally agree.

100. Lynne says:

I was not looking forward to Melissas show today as I don't anticipated learning anything new from her. I am also busy busy great home cook. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and sorry to say, I was very very dissapointed in the show. I don't know how she can claim that tort cost her $4.00 when the gruere alone would be clearly more than that in my market. You can't buy 41.99 worth of cheese or bacon. I am tired of hearing about her mom and lucky her living in Paris. blah blah and boo hoo

101. mjnn says:

Agree,agree,agree with DM

102. Nikkie says:

God forbid people express an opinion. I'm not a SAHM, I'm not a working mom, I'm not a housewife. I don't think Melissa should have won. We already have that Robin chick, along with Rachel, and Sandra Lee.

Food Network used to gear their shows towards foodies and chefs. Now it's all "Let's watch Mommy cook chicken for her kids! YAY!" I don't want that.

Ina, and ICA are the only shows left on this channel I can actually stand. Bring back Ming Tsai, bring back Mario, bring back Emeril, bring back the 'old" Food Network, and have the mommies of the world watch PBS.

103. Mel says:

Na, are you logging in under Twitter?
    I'm just signing in under the Guest at the bottom.
    Either way this is screwed up, from page one to now is (8) pages and the only posts to come up are
    yours.

When I reply I only get a half page to type in on that I can see, so keeping track of what I type is Eyck.
    I taped Melissa's show and am re watching it while I'm trying to wade through this hodgepodge.
    I don't know who designed this web forum layout but they need to go back to school, because they slept
    through this course.