by Katie Cavuto-Boyle in Uncategorized, January 28, 2012
by Toby Amidor in 30 Days, Healthy Recipes, Healthy Tips, August 5, 2011
- Try this pumpkin-like Hubbard Squash variety this season.
The colors and flavors on summer produce feel long gone, but that doesn’t mean we are sentenced to a season of dull food. Winter harvest vegetables are warming, nourishing and oh-so-satisfying. There are many, lesser-known vegetable options available so your weekly menu can stay creative. Here are some squash varieties to spice up your repertoire and can second as table decor until eaten.
Hubbard Squash: This large, blue-gray squash has a pumpkin like flavor is taste wonderful roasted with hearty herbs like rosemary.
Kabocha: Dark-green and bumpy, this squash is more than a table decoration. Its hard skin can be a bit tough, but once cut through and cooked this squash is sweet and nutty. It’s great roasted and stewed.
by Toby Amidor in 1 Food, 5 Ways, Healthy Recipes, November 30, 2010
- We've got 30 reasons to fall in love with zucchini.
Whether you’re a sweet or savory zucchini-lover, we’ve got your covered. Check out these 30 creative, healthy recipes and fun zucchini facts.
- Create a sensational Tuscan Vegetable Soup with zucchini, spinach and tomatoes.
- Bake a loaf of lightened-up zucchini bread. Make a double batch and freeze for later.
- Slice zucchini into sticks and dip in homemade, creamy hummus.
- Cook Ina’s scrumptious Zucchini Pancakes.
- Did you know: zucchini is part of the squash family and is technically a fruit.
- Need a light and airy snack? Ellie’s Zucchini Parmesan Crisps will do the trick.
- Store zucchini in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Read more
by Toby Amidor in In Season, November 10, 2009
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Don’t you love walking in the door after a long day and dinner is waiting? It’s that easy when you put your slow cooker to work. Whip out this under-appreciated kitchen appliance and try these 5 mouth-watering dishes.
5 super-simple slow cooker dinners »
by Karen Ostergren in Reader Tips & Comments, October 17, 2009
As crisper weather sets in, nothing beats warm, freshly roasted squash. There’s a bounty of winter squash available at your local market now. Don’t let that thick skin scare you away. Here are our favorite ways to cook ‘em up, including soup.
Read more »
by Dana Angelo White in Farmers' Market Finds, August 26, 2009
This week on the blog, we covered everything from the classic spaghetti and meatballs to the more adventurous sea greens, and the ideas kept coming. Check out our fave reader submissions from the week — we might have included yours!
Read more »
Also known as “cranberry” beans, these red and beige beauties are all over my market right now. They made an unusual but delicious addition to my summer succotash.
Get the recipe »