by Katie Cavuto-Boyle in Uncategorized, December 13, 2013
by Robin Miller in Robin's Healthy Take, February 16, 2013
True, time in the kitchen can be relaxing and therapeutic — but that doesn’t mean efficiency is a bad thing. There are lots of shortcuts that make cooking a healthy meal quicker and simpler. Here are ten favorite tricks of the trade.
• Pomegranate seeds are like gold — especially if you have to take your time to pick them out individually. Try this instead: Cut the pomegranate in half, and gently loosen it with your hands. Holding the cut side down over a bowl, whack the skin with a spoon. The seeds will pop right out!
• For easy cutting of fruits and vegetables, start by cutting a small piece from one side of the ingredient to form a wide, flat surface. Then use the flat surface to stabilize the produce. The food will be less likely to roll around (and you’ll be less likely to cut yourself).
by Dana Angelo White in Healthy Tips, July 23, 2009
Make good use of kitchen gadgets and you’ll save time, energy, avoid messy clean-ups and enjoy healthier meal preparation with ease.
• Make homemade pestos in your blender; make them lighter by replacing most of the oil with good-quality, reduced-sodium broth
• Puree fruits and vegetables to make smoothies and shakes
• Use your blender to make creamy pureed soups
• Puree fresh and frozen berries to make fruit coulis (a fat-free sauce made from just fruit to pour on low-fat frozen yogurt and angel food cake)
• For a fresh spice flavor (versus pre-ground, bottled spices), toast whole seeds of cardamom, cumin and fennel and then process until finely ground
Food Processor and Mini Prep Machines:
• Quickly chop herbs to add flavor and zing to practically ANYTHING (add fresh herbs just before serving)
• Use shredder attachment to shred carrots and zucchini for quick breads and muffins
by Dana Angelo White in Healthy Tips, February 6, 2009
We shared our Top 5 Kitchen Tools before, but there are many more helpful ones out there. Here are a few more that I use daily, especially during the summer months.
Read more »
These days, it seems like there is a kitchen gadget for just about everything — so which tools are must haves for making a healthy meal? Here are five I’d be lost without.
See our favorites >>