Packing Your Salad
Be sure to pack your salad safely to avoid potential illness. If you’re heading on a long drive, keep it in a cooler surrounded with ice. If you also have raw meat, chicken, or hot dogs, those should be packed in a separate cooler to avoid cross-contamination. The cooler should be stored in the air-conditioned car, not in the hot trunk or roof rack.
To avoid a soggy leafy green salad, pack the salad and dressing separately in the cooler and mix them together right before serving.
Grain & Legume-Based Salads
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad With Canadian Bacon
- Quinoa Salad With Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Black Olives
- Bulgur Salad With Green Onion Vinaigrette
- Corn and Pasta Salad With Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Wheat Berry Salad
- Farro and Corn Salad (pictured above)
- Whole Wheat Pasta Salad With Walnuts and Feta Cheese
- Mango-Cucumber Rice Salad