Giada’s Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding

by in Healthy Recipes, January 15, 2014

Right after she wakes up, Giada De Laurentiis drinks two glasses of warm water with lemon. She does an hour of yoga, then eats a protein-rich breakfast, like this Chia Seed Pudding. “You don’t need to eat a lot,” she says. “It’s very substantial.”

Chia seeds are packed with fiber, protein and antioxidants. Look for them at health-food stores.

Giada’s Chia Seed Pudding (4 servings)
1 cup vanilla-flavored unsweetened almond milk
1 cup plain low-fat (2 percent) Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (preferably grade B), plus 4 teaspoons for serving
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Kosher salt
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 pint strawberries, hulled and chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

In a medium bowl, gently whisk the almond milk, yogurt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, the vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt until just blended. Whisk in the chia seeds; let stand 30 minutes. Stir to distribute the seeds if they have settled. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, in a medium bowl, toss the berries with the remaining 4 teaspoons maple syrup. Mix in the almonds.

Spoon the pudding into 4 bowls or glasses; mound the berry mixture on top and serve.

Cookie Monster: Our Favorite Healthy Holiday Cookies

Our holiday cookies are festive and delicious, but also packed with great nutritious ingredients so they're healthy too!...

1. Danielle says:

I've tried it with both almond milk and 1% cows milk. Both were good, but I really much prefer the cows milk. It just tastes soooooo good. I mixed up the berries and each type tasted excellent with this recipe. I too, was full until lunch. Didn't leave me feeling bloated or greasy either. It's a keeper!

2. BJ Scooter says:

I read on the internet that Chia seeds actually grow and expand in your stomach to assist in weight loss but can interfere with other organs in your abdomen area. What do you think?

3. @tanmoybasu8 says:

Hi,
    I use this <a herf <a href="http://=http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Chia-Seeds-1-Pound/dp/B00I14D2UM/ref=sr_1_45?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1396807051&sr=1-45&keywords=chia+seeds>product” target=”_blank”>=http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Chia-Seeds-1-Pound/dp/B00I14D2UM/ref=sr_1_45?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1396807051&sr=1-45&keywords=chia+seeds>product last couple of month. It is quite good. You may use this product.

Thank you.

4. @tanmoybasu8 says:

Hi,
    I use this product last couple of month. It is quite good. You may use this product.

Thank you.

5. Covelohibri says:

How long does it keep in the refrigerator? My men probably wont eat it>

6. Sandi says:

Made some today for the first time. Used unsweetened Almond Coconut soy milk and dannon coconut greek yogurt. I don't care for maple flavor so I used the flavored greek yogurt instead of plain and it came out so good!

7. Heather says:

I really like giada and the recipe was very yummy. However, Be cautious! Anything you read about chia seeds says you need to start slowly, some recommend 1 tbsp daily if you've never had chia before (research it). I however found this out 1 week after eating this recipe,I suffered from gastroenteritis for 7 days. I realize this won't happen to everyone but just be aware.