- Comments (4)
What to look for
The health benefits of beans are extensive. Canned varieties make for quick recipes, plus you can’t beat the price. Canned foods do get a bad rap for being super salty, but rinsing and draining canned beans can remove up to 40 percent of the sodium. Low-sodium and no-salt added varieties are also available.
10 Healthy Recipes
Chunky chili, smooth hummus and warm and satisfying baked beans are just a few of the healthy creations you can whip up.
2. Pinto beans: Cowboy Beans
3. Pinto beans and navy beans: Baked Beans with Swiss Chard
4. Black beans: Quinoa with Beans and Hominy
5. Black beans: Black Bean Salad
6. Chickpeas: Green Herb Hummus
7. Kidney beans: Red Rice and Beans
8. Kidney beans and white beans: Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
9. Cannellini beans: Pasta with Escarole, Beans and Chicken Sausage
10. Cannellini beans: Tuscan White Beans
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »
The old butter verses margarine controversy is back in the spotlight. With many folks favoring wholesome, natural foods, margarine has now taken a backseat to butter. But can this full fat delight be part of a healthy diet?