- Comments (4)
What to look for
The health benefits of beans are extensive. Canned varieties make for quick recipes, plus you can’t beat the price. Canned foods do get a bad rap for being super salty, but rinsing and draining canned beans can remove up to 40 percent of the sodium. Low-sodium and no-salt added varieties are also available.
10 Healthy Recipes
Chunky chili, smooth hummus and warm and satisfying baked beans are just a few of the healthy creations you can whip up.
2. Pinto beans: Cowboy Beans
3. Pinto beans and navy beans: Baked Beans with Swiss Chard
4. Black beans: Quinoa with Beans and Hominy
5. Black beans: Black Bean Salad
6. Chickpeas: Green Herb Hummus
7. Kidney beans: Red Rice and Beans
8. Kidney beans and white beans: Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
9. Cannellini beans: Pasta with Escarole, Beans and Chicken Sausage
10. Cannellini beans: Tuscan White Beans
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »
— Long a mainstay of South Asian cooking, turmeric adds zing to curries and other dishes. But it has also been used in Eastern cultures for thousands of years for its medicinal properties. More recently, turmeric has caught the attention of Western researchers who have been studying the herb and its potential health benefits. “OneRead more