20 Top Healthy Corn Recipes by Toby Amidor in Healthy Recipes, August 22, 2013
- Comments (2)
Corn season is now in full swing. Enjoy this scrumptious veggie in every type of dish from breakfast to salads to side dishes. The toughest decision you’ll need to make is choosing which recipe to pick first.
One cup of cooked corn has 130 calories, 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat. It’s a good source of fiber and folate, providing 12% and 18% of the recommended daily doses, respectively. Corn also has a plethora of other good-for you nutrients like B-vitamins, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper and zinc. This baby is also brimming with phytochemicals that have been linked to heart health and cancer prevention.
Although corn is a starchy vegetable, it’s also considered a whole grain (the kernel is a grain). Adding corn to your healthy eating plan can help you meet the USDA’s recommendations to make half of your daily grains whole.
Recipes to Try
- Grilled Corn Salad with Lime, Red Chili and Cojita Cheese (above)
- Lemon-Basil Corn
- Barbecue Corn
- Chili Lime Corn on the Cob
- Tomato-Garlic Corn
- Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Cakes
- Grilled Corn with Five Spice and Lime
- Charred Corn Panzanella
- Farro and Corn Salad
- Summer Corn Salad
- Grilled Corn Salad
- Potato, Tomato, Corn and Basil Salad
- Corn and Pasta Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Fish Tacos with Chili Mayo and Grilled Corn
- Succotash with Grilled Scallops and Parsley Drizzle
- Turkey Corn Chili
Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian and consultant who specializes in food safety and culinary nutrition. See Toby’s full bio »