- Comments (2)
It’s prime season for summer squash, and like most folks, I get all jazzed up when the zucchini harvest arrives. Here are 22 healthy ways to devour this summer goodie.
Soups, Salads, Snacks … and a Cocktail!
Zucchini is the chameleon of the produce world, adapting to any surrounding flavor and texture. It’s tremendously delish raw or cooked, shredded or sliced, roasted or pureed.
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
- Zucchini Vichyssoise
- Zucchini Snack Pizzas
- Zucchini-Pear Soup
- Zucchini Salad (above)
- Garbanzo Bean and Zucchini Salad
- Zucchini Tini
Who says a zucchini can’t be a meal?! These recipes prove this veggie is up to the challenge.
- Beef and Bulgur Stuffed Zucchini
- Potato and Zucchini Frittata
- Zucchini Stuffed Tomatoes
- Roasted Zucchini Flatbread with Hummus, Arugula, Goat Cheese and Almonds
- Light Spicy Zucchini and Tomato Casserole
- Zucchini Roni Pizza
There’s nothing wrong with going the more traditional route. These simple side dishes turn up the flavor.
- Zucchini and Potato Pancakes
- Saffron Zucchini and Herb Couscous
- Roasted Zucchini with Fresh Thyme
- Zucchini Carpaccio
- Mexican Zucchini Oven Fries
Breads and Muffins
Don’t count out the baked goods. Zucchini adds a subtle sweetness and helps keeps breads and muffins moist.
- Dana’s Lightened Up Zucchini Bread
- Moist Zucchini Bran Muffins
- Carrot and Zucchini Mini Muffins
- Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »
By now, almost everyone knows that whole-grain foods are a nutritional step up from dishes that revolve around refined carbs. But if you’re starting to get the feeling that good-for-you grains are spending just a little too much time on their healthy high horse, remind them of their tasty roots by baking them into oneRead more