7 Secret-Weapon Foods for Weight Loss

by in Diets & Weight Loss, Healthy Tips, June 24, 2013

shrimp
Don’t waste your money on secret potions and potentially dangerous supplements to lose weight. Instead, include these real foods in your diet to help trim your waistline.

#1: Popcorn
Did you know popcorn is a whole grain? One cup of air-popped popcorn has between 30 to 55 calories and 5% of your recommended daily dose of hunger shielding fiber. Snack on 2 cups with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon of whipped butter with ¼ teaspoon sea salt. You can also make your own in the microwave in a flash.

Recipe: Chocolate-Orange Brown Butter Flavored Popcorn

#2: Greek Yogurt
With more protein than traditional yogurt per ounce, nonfat plain Greek yogurt can fill you up so you’ll be less likely to mindlessly snack. Not sure which brand to choose? Check how popular brands fared in Dana’s taste test.

Recipe: Fruit Salad with Limoncello and Greek Yogurt

#3: Shrimp
These crustaceans pack a protein punch for very few calories. One ounce (4 large shrimp) has 30 calories, 6 grams of protein and has minimal fat.  Shrimp is also a good source of vitamin D and selenium and even contains several energy-boosting B-vitamins. If you’re allergic to shellfish or just don’t care for shrimp, choose skinless, boneless chicken breast which has 46 calories, 9 grams of protein and 1 gram of fat per ounce.

Recipe: Robin’s Coconut Shrimp

#4: Quinoa
This whole grain is packed with both hunger fighting fiber AND protein—a winning combination for weight loss. One cup of cooked quinoa has 223 calories, 5 grams of fat and 8 grams of protein. It’s also packed with nutrients like B-vitamins, potassium, zinc, iron and selenium. Add it to soups, stews, chili – anywhere you’d use rice.

Recipe: Quinoa Pilaf in Lettuce Cups

#5: Pears
A medium pear has 100 calories and is an excellent source of hunger-satisfying fiber. One of my favorite waistline-friendly snacks is 1 sliced pear with 1 ounce of low-fat cheddar cheese. The combo of fat, protein and fiber help stave off hunger and keep you satisfied longer.

Recipe: Pear Chutney

#6: Sweet Potatoes
One medium sweet potato has 105 calories, 4 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein. Sweet potatoes are not only filling, they’re also packed with 400% of your daily recommended amount of the antioxidant vitamin A. Make a sweet potato mash, add chunks to chili or stews or roast with a touch of cinnamon.

Recipe: Curried Sweet Potato Puree

#7: Peanut Butter
Look for natural peanut butter made from only nuts and salt. It contains a nice amount of both healthy fats and protein. One tablespoon has about 90 to 100 calories, so portion it out carefully. Use one tablespoon as a snack to dip with apples or celery and 2 tablespoons for your PB&J sandwich at lunch.

Recipe: Alton’s Peanut Butter Protein Bars

TELL US: Which secret weapon food will you be munching on?

Grab-and-Go Sport Snacks

Being a recreational athlete means you take your sport and training seriously, but you have other priorities as well, such as work, family, and friend...

1. [...] if (!window.OX_ads) { OX_ads = []; } OX_ads.push({ "auid" : "423083" }); document.write(''); See full article at Food Network Other stories:Deep-Fried Cheese BitesHot Trend: Artisan CocktailsMargherita ChickenVirgin [...]

2. Lisa Parker says:

The PC Police have struck again! Kind of reminds me of the Salem Witch Trials – mass PC hysteria. I'm very sad to see this on Food Network. I watch many shows – or should say watched. I will react the same way you did – without much compassionate, rational thought. You won the battle, but probably lost the war.

• Guest says:

I am with you Lisa.

• Roy says:

I wonder if Food Network is carring out "background checks" on all their other stars to see if they would admit to doing or saying anything un-PC in their past. What's fair for one is fair for all!

• lilbitandme says:

1st of all I want to leave a note about the shrimp. YES, shrimp is low in calorie and fat…BUT it is the HIGHEST in cholesterol!!! So, for those of you like me….DO NOT eat shrimp!!
      2nd….I LOVE Paula Deen!! Whenever I wanted to make a recipe for the American Legion Dinner, I ALWAYS went to Paula's recipes!!! People thought I was an "awesome" cook because of her!! If ASKED, I would tell them, but if not……..sorry Paula…..I didn't!! LOL YOU ROCK!!!! I don't get cable anymore, so I also don't watch Food Network anymore…..but if I did…I wouldn't!
      Love ya Paula Deen!!!

• Guest says:

shrimp is high in dietary cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol does not enter your bloodstream. Saturated and trans fats are what affect your blood cholesterol levels.

3. Guest says:

What a bunch of weenie losers. People like Paula made this network. Now it will be competition crap all day long.

4. Guest says:

I agree with Roy! Have those of you who made the decision to let Paula go never said anything offensive or off color? What is with this casting stones? I think much less of the Food Network officials than of Paula Deen. Paula is in her sixties and was raised in the south (I was also) and we have lived through many changes in attitude toward racial issues. Fortunately, most southerners have grown changed over the years, often more than these unctuous people from other parts of the country who pretend to be righteous!!

5. Josh Brancek says:

Toby, thanks a lot for this list of foods that will help me lose weight, thanks again!!!

6. LisaCWilliams says:

Food Network and Smithfield Company I am ASHAME OF BOTH for their conduct concerning Paula Deen. If she is smart which I believe she is….I see a defamation of character in Ms. Deen's future towards both companies. The person that started all of this should be brought up on charges too. Really like no one has never said something and then regretted it. Casting stones! I agree with Eryn…Food Network brought "Robert" back…Restaurant Impossible! I'd be thinking dang…shouldn't have done that…let's see if Paula Deen and Sons start there own network….or another picks them up…..Hey OPRAH!

7. Elizabeth says:

I agree with all of you! Come on, SERIOUSLY! I am really hoping she will start here own show on another network, I myself wouldn't come back! If you! don't have my back when I need it then you can kiss my southern ass when you lose thousands of fans who watched the food network because of Paula! This PC crap has gone far enough! I am so sick of it, it makes me so angry. This country needs to stop bending over backwards for all these people just to be PC! I could go on and on but I won't. I hope the person who started this can sleep at night and doesn't get one red cent! The Food Network and Smithfield Company should be so ashamed? Wonder how many people in your companies have said things that weren't PC!

8. Pat says:

Sad day on Food Network. My family will no longer watch without Paula.

9. Susan says:

Same for us and our families and all of our friends it's time to boycott the networks and companies who are doing this to her and anyone else with this set of circumstances as if any one of us haven't stuck a foot in our mouth at one time or another! Good grief let it go already!

10. Gary says:

I also agree, who hasn't said something that they regret. I could scribe many thoughts and words to address this stupidity. Emeril is gone and now you have scuttled Paula, I see no more reason for me to stay. You’re knee jerk “PC” reaction to pull the trigger on something that happened well over 20 years ago as your basis for termination. How many seconds did it take for you to make that decision? Ludicrous or stupid at best

As Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman, “Big Mistake, Big Mistake.” So now I too will pull the trigger along with Paula’s countless other fans. Bye Bye now,
    DirecTV Channel 231 is no longer on my schedule until this “Mistake” is