Recipe Spotlight: Lightened-Up Banana Pudding

by in Cookies & Other Desserts, Healthy Recipes, June 21, 2013

banana pudding

Banana pudding is a classic dessert made by layering vanilla pudding with wafer cookies, loads of fluffy whipped cream and of course, bananas. After a few hours (or a night) in the refrigerator, the pudding and whipped cream soften the cookies and they become cake-like and infused with banana flavor. Banana pudding is creamy, cool, comforting and indulgent — maybe a little too indulgent. If you love the flavors of banana pudding but don’t want a calorie overload, you can still enjoy this dessert classic with this Food Network Kitchen’s lighter banana pudding. It’s made with homemade vanilla pudding made with low-fat milk, that has all the creaminess you expect thanks to a few tablespoons of sour cream stirred in at the end. Use reduced-fat vanilla wafer cookies, and be sure your bananas are very ripe so they’ll impart the strongest banana flavor possible.

Try it This Weekend: Lightened Up Banana Pudding

More Healthy Banana Desserts:

Chocolate-Covered Banana Pops
Banana Cream Pie
Banana Splits With Pineapple-Brown Sugar Topping
Marbled Banana Bread
Broiled Banana Splits

5 Alternative Burgers Worth Flipping For

Even if you hold the beef and spring for an alternative protein, you don’t have to sacrifice flavor. Just in time for Labor Day grilling, these ...

1. Cheryl says:

OK. THAT'S IT I HAVE HAD IT. I am simply appalled at the thoughts of you firing Paula Deen. It is perfectly alright for the African Americans to use racial slurs. However let one while person say something inappropriate and it is of to the Gallows we go. This is nonsense, you have tried, convicted, and fired Paula Deen before knowing the truth.
    I am sick to death of all this trivia about Paula Deen she appears to be a good woman.. What about our soldiers fighting over seas, they put their lives on the line everyday so we can have freedom to do what we what, but you do not hear about that on the evening news. This is something that happened years ago? There was only one perfect man that walked on this earth and that was Jesus Christ.. If I remember correctly the scriptures say "He that is without sin let him cast the first stone."

2. Joyce says:

I love Paula Deen's Show. I will not watch Food Network again. I don't understand why you fired her. Didn't the racial slurs happen in her past? Heaven forbid..our past is our poast. Tell the truth, you wanted her gone for reasons you are not telling. So, with Paula Deen leaving, I am gone also.

• ROBERTA FISCHER says:

THERE IS A PETITION GOING AROUND FOR PAULA DEEN TO GET HER JOB BACK JUST TO LET YOU KNOW PLEASE SIGN AND PASS IT TO YOUR FRIENDS —–THANKS BOBBIE

3. ROBERTA FISCHER says:

FOOD NET WORK , WELL YOU SURE ARE LOOSING A LOT OF PEOPLE I SURE HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE FIRING OF PAULA DEEN YOUR RATINGS WILL SUFFER ,IS IT TRULY WORTH LOOSING YOUR RAITINGS OVER THIS I THINK NOT NOR WHEN YOU SIT IN THE BOARD ROOM AND TALK ABOUT THIS I THINK YOU WILL COME TO YOUR SENCES TILL THEN I WILL UNSUBCRIBE TO YOUR MAGINIZE I DONT CARE IF ITS PAID FOR 2 YEARS I DONT WANT THE MAGAZINE SO PLEASE LOOK ME UP AND STOP SENDING THEM

4. Lily says:

I think Food network is full of you know what. They fired Annr Thorton and now Paula. NO wonder they won't hire greastest chef star Gordon Ramsey, he be cursing your asses…lol Food network Will no longer be " the network to watch"

5. Lily says:

MAybe Paula should have her own network. She deserves it..Food network are full of crap
    Everyone vote for Paula Deen network.

6. Jim says:

I disagree with the tenor of these posts and I applaud FN for takiing a reputable position of acceptable personal speach. In response to an earlier bloggers post about whites being picked on. The FN position creates the expectation that all FN associates are held to a standard of behavior. Race, creed or orientation will not affect the standard FN associates are held to.

Thank You Food Network.

J Allison

7. mombny says:

Every one on this blog has wirtten everything I was going to say, except for Jim. Jim are you part of the Food Network judge and jury? Paula Deen is a classy, tasteful woman with a beautiful spirit and heart. Thanx to you FN, you have cast a negative glare on a peer – have you forgotten how much money she has made for you? Whose ratings and fans are you looking for? Along with the folds of people who know Paula has been scorned for no reason, I am no longer watching Food Network, getting rid of the magazines I've collected, and will suport Paula in every way I possibly can! Dumb!dumb!dumb!

8. [...] Lightened-Up Banana Pudding Published by cookiesandcocktails on September 30, 2013 | 0 Comment Originally published on foodnetwork.com [...]