Creative Uses for Tortillas by Robin Miller in Robin's Healthy Take, May 9, 2013
- Comments (492)
Corn and flour tortillas have made a big splash on supermarket shelves recently. From whole grain to flavored to low-carb, you can find a tortilla variety to please everyone in the family. Check out some great uses for tortillas beyond the traditional wrap or fajita.
• Create quick, thin pizzas: top flour tortillas with pizza sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and fresh veggies; bake at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
• Start your day with egg tacos: fill flour tortillas with scrambled eggs, pepper jack or cheddar cheese and your favorite salsa.
• Make your own baked corn chips: cut corn tortillas into wedges, arrange on baking sheet, spray with cooking spray, season with salt and pepper; bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. For ranch-flavored chips, sprinkle the chips with powdered ranch dip mix before baking. For nacho cheese flavored chips, sprinkle the chips with nacho cheese-flavored popcorn powder before baking.
• Serve cinnamon-sugar crisps with frozen yogurt: cut flour tortillas into wedges, arrange on a baking sheet, spray with cooking spray, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the top; bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown.
• Use flour tortillas instead of lasagna noodles in your favorite lasagna recipe.
• Make breakfast “cigars”: spread peanut butter, almond butter or Nutella on a flour tortilla and roll up.
• Pack cheese roll-ups for lunch: top flour tortillas with honey mustard and cheddar or Swiss cheese slices and roll up.
• Create baked taco-salad bowls: press small flour tortillas into the bottom and up the sides of a muffin pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes, until the tortillas are golden brown.