Gina Neely’s Slim-Down

by in Diets & Weight Loss, February 15, 2013

gina neely
Gina Neely, co-host (along with her husband, Pat) of Down Home with the Neelys, and co-owner of three barbecue restaurants, made a few lifestyle changes recently that helped her shed 20 pounds (in 12 weeks!). How did she do it? She stresses that she didn’t go on a diet (no one likes that word, especially Gina), but rather made easy, yet, important changes to her lifestyle. She loves burgers, but now chooses turkey burgers. She makes sure she doesn’t skip breakfast and starts her day with a hearty morning meal of maple oatmeal with raisins. And she added exercise to her daily routine — strength training and walking extra steps using a pedometer.

One of the biggest changes Gina made is how she cooks for her and her family. Instead of less-healthy cooking methods like frying, Gina uses her George Foreman Grill to grill burgers, sandwiches, shrimp, chicken and quesadillas. And she didn’t do it alone — Gina joined a community of folks dedicated to a healthier lifestyle in the George Foreman Grill Weight Loss Challenge.

Gina’s Tips for Making Healthy Lifestyle Changes:

Limit the fried food and grill instead. Try an indoor grill or a grill pan during colder months.

Keep healthy snacks in your purse or bag so they’re on-hand when hunger strikes. At home, Gina likes to snack on apple slices with peanut butter.

When dining out or at a buffet, fill your plate with colorful or green leafy things.

Make yourself a priority. Healthy changes may take extra time, but you’re worth it.

Put exercise time on your calendar so you’re not tempted to skip it.

Wear a pedometer to track your steps (see if you can get in a few more each day).

Gina Neely’s Healthy Recipes:

Chicken Taco Salad
Green Beans With Lemon and Garlic
Kale Chips
Homemade Applesauce
Mexican Brown Rice Casserole
Hearty Winter Greens Saute
Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
Gina’s George Foreman Grill Recipes

The 22 Days Vegan Diet Plan: Love It or Leaf It?

You can’t deny that JLo’s new body is rocking! She credits her weight loss success to the 22-Day Vegan Diet. The same diet Beyonce and Jay Z popularized by posting food photos on Instagram. But is cutting out all animal products a healthy way to lose weight?

1. Janie says:

Looks ill.

2. Valerie says:

I was SHOCK!!!! To see how small Gina was, I felt so sad and bad for her. It's ok to loose some weight but she just lost to much and she don't look healthy. Her skin and hair don't look right either. Gina I wish u the bet

• DeBoRah says:

Really! She looks great. Keep in mind Gina accomplished her initial weight loss over a 12 week period which included healthier eating, exercise, and a new attitude. And she has continued her new lifestyle way of living. I for one don't know when she began her lifestyle changes; I do not have cable so I literally have not watched 'Down Home With the Neelys' in over three years. So when I saw her on Steve Harvey, I was like you go girl. Also, I remember on their show they showed photos of Gina when she was younger and she is a small woman. Sooooooooo……I think she done good.

3. jan says:

I agree she does not look like she only lost 20 lbs, more like 40 .She just really didnt look good in her face, her complexion wasn't good and she didn' t have the spunk or personality, we liked. It was just weird seeing her tht way. Hopefully shes not making herself sick,by losing to much weight.

4. Sha says:

Same feelings Gina has lost more than 20 pounds saw her on Steve Harvey, sorry Gina I love and believe in being healthy but you don't look healthy. you really look like someone who has had weight loss surgery. Your skin use to be so pretty and smooth, now it looks like leather and you had beautiful hair with a great smile and a beautiful face. Even with all that make on you face you looked so old and tired, lines and bags everywhere. My husband and I love you and Pat so take care of yourself don't lose anymore before you hurt yourself. Good luck to you both. Sha

5. Net Saga says:

What surprised us was that they did lose weight, their BMI decreased and their waists became slimmer. On top of this, they kept their weight down over at least seven years. There isn’t a specific goal, the more fat you cut down, the more your weight falls

6. SLBM says:

Gina, I was shocked when I saw you on Steve Harvey show. I could not believe that this was you. You really look great.

7. Sherrhonda Williams says:

I thought you was the perfectsize already.

8. DeBoRah Jordan says:

Gina you look marvelous. Keep up your new lifestyle. You are an inspiration to the rest of us.

9. Geena says:

I saw you and was very shocked on how you look now. I applaud anyone wanting to lose weight and have a more active, healthy lifestyle. This is usually reflected in your overall appearance. Needless to say, this is NOT what I see when I have seen you in recent days. Not sure what has "really" being going on with you, but healthy, apparently, has not.

10. JANICE EDWARDS-DAVIS says:

Gina , you look really great! I am pride of you. I am trying to lose 25-40 pounds. I started exercising 2 months ago and I have lost inches and I really don't eat fried food. I need some help on what I should be eating or cooking. I did put on a pair of pants the other day, that my daughter bought for my birthday last year.