Gina Neely’s Slim-Down

by in Diets & Weight Loss, February 15, 2013

gina neely
Gina Neely, co-host (along with her husband, Pat) of Down Home with the Neelys, and co-owner of three barbecue restaurants, made a few lifestyle changes recently that helped her shed 20 pounds (in 12 weeks!). How did she do it? She stresses that she didn’t go on a diet (no one likes that word, especially Gina), but rather made easy, yet, important changes to her lifestyle. She loves burgers, but now chooses turkey burgers. She makes sure she doesn’t skip breakfast and starts her day with a hearty morning meal of maple oatmeal with raisins. And she added exercise to her daily routine — strength training and walking extra steps using a pedometer.

One of the biggest changes Gina made is how she cooks for her and her family. Instead of less-healthy cooking methods like frying, Gina uses her George Foreman Grill to grill burgers, sandwiches, shrimp, chicken and quesadillas. And she didn’t do it alone — Gina joined a community of folks dedicated to a healthier lifestyle in the George Foreman Grill Weight Loss Challenge.

Gina’s Tips for Making Healthy Lifestyle Changes:

Limit the fried food and grill instead. Try an indoor grill or a grill pan during colder months.

Keep healthy snacks in your purse or bag so they’re on-hand when hunger strikes. At home, Gina likes to snack on apple slices with peanut butter.

When dining out or at a buffet, fill your plate with colorful or green leafy things.

Make yourself a priority. Healthy changes may take extra time, but you’re worth it.

Put exercise time on your calendar so you’re not tempted to skip it.

Wear a pedometer to track your steps (see if you can get in a few more each day).

Gina Neely’s Healthy Recipes:

Chicken Taco Salad
Green Beans With Lemon and Garlic
Kale Chips
Homemade Applesauce
Mexican Brown Rice Casserole
Hearty Winter Greens Saute
Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
Gina’s George Foreman Grill Recipes

When Cravings Call, What Are They Saying?

We all get cravings, but when they come in the form of high-sugar or high-fat, calorie-dense foods, it’s your waistline that suffers the consequence...

1. Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is magnificent, let alone the content!. Thanks For Your article about Gina Neely’s Slim-Down | Healthy Eats – Food Network Healthy Living Blog .

2. immersion says:

Title…

[...]usually posts some very interesting stuff like this. If you are new to this site[...]…

3. imp source says:

Appreciate you sharing, great blog.Really thank you! Awesome.

4. Mary says:

Oh My God! Saw her on Katie. What happened? She looked absolutely awful. I thought she had cancer or some disease that is eating her up. My goodness. She could have lost a few pounds but that is too much. That is no way 20 lbs that she lost . She looks AWFUL.

• Justmesd says:

I totally agree that she does not look healthy. I saw her on Steve Harvey today and she looks pretty bad, she is way too skinny now, her skin does not look healthy, and her hair weave looks awful. I always thought she was just so pretty. I know that because of my heart disease it is hard to keep your hair but Gina has the resources to get much better hair. Just saying people should not loose so much weight that it threatens your body health.

Justmesd

• elizabeth says:

I did a whole lotta about faces when I saw her on celebrity wife swap, thought Pat had remarried & she was a new wife. She is totally unrecognizable & her skin looks dry & way to dark. I am all for healthy but to an extent, some ppl, like me just look better with some meat on….

• FEDUP says:

Jealous COW!! You are awful!!

• Sylvia says:

I also thought she was sick when I saw her on Steve Harvey. I am very happy to hear that she is trying to lead a healthier lifestyle, however I think she lost a little too much.

5. oliviaashley713 says:

She does look great! Little changes give you BIG results. I've kept off the 15 pounds for almost 2 months and it is so easy. Smaller portions, lean protein, vegetables, a bit of fruit, milk (yes, milk! It's a big weight losser for me) and no alcohol. I haven't exercised except for my leg therapy and that isn't really much. Good for you, Gina!
    but here is another way for fast weight loss check this Official Site :

6. diet pills says:

7. One of the biggest changes Gina made is how she cooks for her and her family. Instead of less-healthy cooking methods like frying, Gina uses her George Foreman Grill to grill burgers, sandwiches, shrimp, chicken and quesadillas

8. Linda Jenks says:

Gina I saw you yesterday on Rachel Ray and you look wonderful and had so much energy. Seeing you, who did not look like you needed to lose weight, approach a new way of eating lifestyle while still enjoying food was an inspiration to me. I am adopting your recipes and making time each day for exercise. If I cannot walk my dog every day then I use the treadmill. I started doing regular exercises and with weights. Starting out slow but increasing the steps and workout a little each day. To hear you say you do not miss breakfast made an impression with me since I often skip breakfast, eat a salad for lunch but in the evening is the toughest time for me. I am starting to snack on apples and just going to bed earlier so I am not tempted. Thanks for the inspiration!

• leyla says:

I just saw her on Steve Harvey today and it made me so sad. I felt like I'd lost a friend. This person today was not the Gina I'd loved and laughed with since the start of the Neely show. Her face has lost its glow and her weave was not on point. She has always looked gorgeous, confident and happy. Today she looked awful and unsure of herself, a hot mess. I felt so sad for her. I don't think this weight loss has been good for her and I don't think she looks happy. Gina, I'm sending you best wishes and warm thoughts. Be well because you really look sick and maybe should reconsider this diet.

• Happy says:

I Totally agree with you leyla. I had just tuned in to the same show and immediately thought she had been through some health issues. This was the reason that I googled her to find out what happened to Gina Neely!! Wow certainly not the same glowing radiant look on her that I have known from the past.
        But I only wish her and Pat a well and happy life together.

9. Sad says:

I just watched Steve Harvey and saw Gina and though she must be on some sort of drastic diet because for her height she looks way to small and her wig looks as if she lost her hair around the edges. I know we get use to the plumbness in peoples face but her skin doesn't look very good either. I wish her well. Also she lost more than 20 lbs. You also noticed that even steve did not mention her new look. Rubben Studdard was on and had lost weight several months ago and steve mentioned it multiple times. I guess the audience was suppose to overlook how much weight she has lost.

10. Lisa says:

Yes she does not look right on Steve Harvey……