- Comments (33)
You’re stuck on the road, or didn’t have a chance to eat and end up in some fast-food joint that’s all too conveniently placed in your neighborhood. What should you choose? Your best line of defense is to be prepared. I checked out popular fast-food restaurants and found options that can fit any calorie requirements; whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a sensibly-sized meal, I’ve got you covered.
A reasonable lunch or dinner has about 400 or 500 calories, depending on your overall calorie needs.
- Subway’s 6″ Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich: This pretty tasty sandwich is a perfectly portioned for lunch or dinner. Order with a small bag of baked chips and bottle of water. CALORIES: 500
- Arby’s Roast Turkey and Swiss Wrap: Order with a bottle of water or small unsweetened brewed iced tea. CALORIES: 495
- Panera’s Chopped Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado: Swap the standard Greek dressing with for reduced fat balsamic vinaigrette. CALORIES: 490
- Pizza Hut’s Veggie Lover’s Pizza (2 slices): Enjoy ¼ of a 14” Large Thin ‘N Crispy Veggie Lover’s Pizza with a tall glass of water. CALORIES: 480
- Burger King’s Premium Grilled Chicken Sandwich: Hold the mayo and use 1 packet of ketchup instead. Pair with a bottle of water. CALORIES: 410
- Subway’s 6″ Turkey Breast Sandwich: Pair with a small bag of baked chips and water. CALORIES: 400
- Wendy’s Jr Hamburger: Pair with a Caesar Side Salad topped with 1 packet of Lemon Garlic Caesar Dressing and a bottle of water. CALORIES: 400
- Chick-Fil-A’s Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich (pictured above): Enjoy the sandwich with 1 package of Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce along with a large fruit cup. CALORIES: 400
Snacks should provide some nutrition value and help stave off hunger between meals. If you find that you’re going more than 5 hours between meals, eating a snack can help you avoid being ravenous at your next meal.
- McDonald’s Fruit & Walnuts: This easy to-go snack includes apple slices, red grapes, candied walnuts and low-fat vanilla yogurt. CALORIES: 210
- Au Bon Pain Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (small): The 8-ounce serving of filling oatmeal is a perfect snack that will help curb hunger until your next meal. CALORIES: 190
- Taco Bell’s Crunchy Taco Supreme: One taco filled with beef, reduced-fat sour cream, shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese and diced tomatoes makes a filling snack. CALORIES: 200
- Starbuck’s Short Hot Chocolate (8 fluid ounce): Order this warming winter drink with nonfat milk and sans the whipped cream. CALORIES: 130
- Au Bon Pain’s Carrot Ginger Soup (small): The 8-fluid-ounce portion is perfect for a quick snack. CALORIES: 90
- Dunkin Donut’s Caramel Mocha Coffee (small): Perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up. CALORIES: 110
TELL US: What’s your go-to lower calorie fast food fare?
With their steady rotation of grilled cheese and butter-topped noodles, the “kid-friendly” section of restaurant menus has always been unimaginative. But these days it’s hard not to notice that the offerings are also fairly unhealthy. The palette of food geared toward children is primarily white, brown and orange — the colors of french fries, friedRead more