Low-Calorie Fast-Food Menu Items by Toby Amidor in Dining Out, February 12, 2013
- Comments (33)
You’re stuck on the road, or didn’t have a chance to eat and end up in some fast-food joint that’s all too conveniently placed in your neighborhood. What should you choose? Your best line of defense is to be prepared. I checked out popular fast-food restaurants and found options that can fit any calorie requirements; whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a sensibly-sized meal, I’ve got you covered.
A reasonable lunch or dinner has about 400 or 500 calories, depending on your overall calorie needs.
- Subway’s 6″ Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich: This pretty tasty sandwich is a perfectly portioned for lunch or dinner. Order with a small bag of baked chips and bottle of water. CALORIES: 500
- Arby’s Roast Turkey and Swiss Wrap: Order with a bottle of water or small unsweetened brewed iced tea. CALORIES: 495
- Panera’s Chopped Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado: Swap the standard Greek dressing with for reduced fat balsamic vinaigrette. CALORIES: 490
- Pizza Hut’s Veggie Lover’s Pizza (2 slices): Enjoy ¼ of a 14” Large Thin ‘N Crispy Veggie Lover’s Pizza with a tall glass of water. CALORIES: 480
- Burger King’s Premium Grilled Chicken Sandwich: Hold the mayo and use 1 packet of ketchup instead. Pair with a bottle of water. CALORIES: 410
- Subway’s 6″ Turkey Breast Sandwich: Pair with a small bag of baked chips and water. CALORIES: 400
- Wendy’s Jr Hamburger: Pair with a Caesar Side Salad topped with 1 packet of Lemon Garlic Caesar Dressing and a bottle of water. CALORIES: 400
- Chick-Fil-A’s Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich (pictured above): Enjoy the sandwich with 1 package of Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce along with a large fruit cup. CALORIES: 400
Snacks should provide some nutrition value and help stave off hunger between meals. If you find that you’re going more than 5 hours between meals, eating a snack can help you avoid being ravenous at your next meal.
- McDonald’s Fruit & Walnuts: This easy to-go snack includes apple slices, red grapes, candied walnuts and low-fat vanilla yogurt. CALORIES: 210
- Au Bon Pain Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (small): The 8-ounce serving of filling oatmeal is a perfect snack that will help curb hunger until your next meal. CALORIES: 190
- Taco Bell’s Crunchy Taco Supreme: One taco filled with beef, reduced-fat sour cream, shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese and diced tomatoes makes a filling snack. CALORIES: 200
- Starbuck’s Short Hot Chocolate (8 fluid ounce): Order this warming winter drink with nonfat milk and sans the whipped cream. CALORIES: 130
- Au Bon Pain’s Carrot Ginger Soup (small): The 8-fluid-ounce portion is perfect for a quick snack. CALORIES: 90
- Dunkin Donut’s Caramel Mocha Coffee (small): Perfect for an afternoon pick-me-up. CALORIES: 110
TELL US: What’s your go-to lower calorie fast food fare?