- Comments (544)
As we settle into our work groove and busy office routines, it’s too easy to grab a bag of chips or make a meal out of a box of Cheez-Its (which I secretly love), but that will quickly leave you feeling unmotivated and unproductive. Rather than raiding the snack machine, here are some great, simple, and healthy snacks to take to the office that will keep you feeling alert and active the whole day.
- Roasted Chickpeas – Here’s a crunchy snack that will give you the same satisfaction as a handful of chips. Chickpeas are packed full of fiber, iron and folate to support a nutritionally-balanced diet. Play around with this recipe and season the chickpeas to your liking: Try cinnamon or cumin instead of the Dijon.
- Frozen Grapes – A classic for someone with a sweet tooth. Grapes are full of polyphenols to help protect again heart disease. Stick your grapes in the freezer when you head to bed, and in the morning you’ll have a healthy candy-alternative to take to the office!
- Popcorn — Its all the craze this year with fun, low-calorie, flavorful options popping up on grocery market shelves. Pop your own and add spices like curry powder or dark chocolate powder. The possibilities are endless for these nutritious kernels. Try this recipe for Popcorn With Rosemary Oil.
- Nuts or Seeds – While portion-size is important when snacking on high-fat and high-calorie nuts and seeds, they’re also full of fiber, protein and antioxidants, as well as healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats. Keeping them down to about a ¼ cup serving will make for a reasonable and rewarding snack. Picking up the unsalted version will also keep the sodium down. Try pistachios in their shell; the process of removing the nut from the shell will prolong your snacking experience.
- Edamame – Portion out a 1/2 cup of frozen edamame as you head out the door and come snack time this protein-packed bean will be ready to eat. Loaded with nutrients and flavor it is one of the healthiest snacks out there.
What do you snack on at work?
With all the snow falling throughout the country, it’s an exciting time to hit the slopes. And if you like to spend all day outdoors whooshing down the mountain, you’ll need to stay fueled. Ski lodge offerings have come a long way over the years and you can find some healthy options– for a pretty penny. Instead, pack a few healthy snacks in your multi-pocketed ski jacket and munch away on the chair lift or gondola.