Top Healthy Recipes of 2012 by Healthy Eats in Healthy Recipes, January 2, 2013
- Comments (1,041)
The numbers are in for the top recipes of 2012 and the results reveal that chicken continues to be a winning lean protein choice — with fish not far behind — plus a few comfort food favorites made the list, like macaroni and cheese and breakfast burritos. What will the new year bring? Can we expect to see more kale and chard on our plates alongside the chicken?
10. Apple Muffins: Ellie Krieger replaces butter with applesauce in these muffins which doesn’t just make them more nutritious, it also makes them extra moist.
9. Fish Tacos With Chipotle Cream: Pile marinated fish, cabbage, corn and chipotle-spiked yogurt sauce into corn tortillas for an instant fiesta.
8. Herbed Quinoa: Giada DeLaurentiis dresses this quick-cooking, protein-packed grain with a simple herb-and-lemon vinaigrette for a super simple, pairs-with-anything side dish.
7. Three-Cheese Macaroni: This comfort food classic is made with muenster, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, plus steamed cauliflower for an extra serving of veggies.
6. Chicken Saltimbocca (above): Giada’s stuffed chicken sounds decadent, but the calories in this classic Italian chicken dish are kept low by using small amounts of boldly-flavored ingredients like prosciutto and Parmesan cheese.
5. Breakfast Burrito: Start your day with a veggie-packed, hand-held breakfast: whole-wheat tortillas stuffed with scrambled eggs, peppers and onions, beans and cheese.
4. Chicken Parmesan: Baking chicken cutlets instead of frying them helps keep the calories down in this Italian favorite — and it still gets covered in sauce and mozzarella cheese like the original.
3. Chicken Piccata: A normally decadent wine and butter-based meal gets a healthy makeover.
2. Crispy Baked ‘Fried’ Chicken: The secret to an extra-crispy coating on un-fried chicken: coat the chicken pieces in buttermilk and crushed cornflakes before baking.
1. Salmon Baked in Foil: The #1 healthy recipe of 2012 also happens to be the easiest — baking salmon in foil with herbs and tomatoes ensures that it will come out moist and flavorful, and with zero mess to clean up after cooking.
Have you made any of these recipes? Let us know about your favorites!