Blogger Spotlight: Tina Haupert from Carrots ‘N’ Cake

by in Blogger Spotlight, September 21, 2012

Tina is a cookbook author, full time writer and blogger, and is certified as a personal trainer. With a passion for fitness and food, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a top priority. Tina is not a fan of dieting, so her weight loss tips encourage permanent lifestyle changes, as opposed to depriving yourself. Through Carrots ‘n Cake, the title of both her book and blog, she encourages a balance of “eating your carrots and savoring your cupcakes, too!”

Describe what a normal day of eating is for you.

A normal day of eating for me involves lots of whole foods. I eat a Paleo-esque diet, but I’m not super strict about it and allow for splurges every now and then. For breakfast, I usually eat a two-ingredient pancake with almond or sunflower butter. Lunch is a salad with chicken or Curry Tuna Cakes or Spaghetti Squash Pancakes. Dinner is usually meat and veggies. Some of my favorite dinner recipes are Gingery Broccoli and Beef and Dry Rub Steak with Avocado SalsaSweet Potato Wedges are also a weekly staple in my lunches and dinners. For snacks, I like sliced banana with nut butter and protein shakes made with coconut milk and vanilla-flavored egg protein.

Tell us a little about your weight loss journey. What was the most difficult part, and how did you overcome it?

I’ve written about my weight loss story on my site.  The most difficult part was getting started, but, once I had a plan, it made it so much easier to stick to my new healthy habits.

What form of exercise do you recommend most to people just getting started?

CrossFit! A lot of people might be surprised to hear this, but CrossFit is scale-able to any skill level and there’s a modification for every exercise, so it’s a great way to get in shape and lose weight (quickly) even for beginners.

What’s your favorite song to work out to?

Anything by David Guetta.

We love the name of your blog. Is cake your favorite sweet treat?

Yep! Cake is my favorite food. I never turn down an opportunity to enjoy a piece!

Do you have a favorite recipe?  If so, please share!

Right now, I’m loving this recipe for Pad Thai from Well Fed. It’s made with spaghetti squash instead of noodles, and it’s absolutely delicious!

Blogger Spotlight: Jennifer Vagios

Join Food Network’s Healthy Eats in discovering the best healthy bloggers around the web. Today we’re talking to Jennifer Vagios.

Comments (1,147)

1. Sarah says:

Just wanted to point out that Tina is not a personal trainer, as it says above.. If you follow her blog at all, you'd see that at one point she got a certificate in personal training but has never held any sort of job as such. I find that statement totally misleading. To be a personal trainer, you actually have to have been employed as one.

2. [...] Check me out on the Food Network’s Healthy Eats blog! Pin It /* [...]

3. Amanda says:

Actually, you are wrong. Anyone would know that once you are a CERTIFIED personal trainer, you ARE a certified personal trainer. It does NOT matter if she is actually working in a gym or with clients.

Way to go Tina! Love your recipes and workouts!

• Olivia says:

That is a pretty alarming rationalization. However, to be fair the statement in her "about her" is not incorrect, she is in fact certified, but Sarah is pointing out that she does not use her certification, nor ha she ever. I think that point is an important one. Experience is what matters.

• Amanda M says:

Actually you are wrong. Yes, you can take a test to be a CERTIFIED personal trainer. But it means absolutely nothing if you're not actively doing anything with it, and working as one. If you don't train clients, learn how to create workout programs to help people to their goals, learn how to overcome the clients obstacles, learn how to progress clients…etc, etc, that piece of paper is meaningless. ANYONE can be a CPT. If someone told me they were a CPT, but had never trained a client…their fitness advice means nothing more than someone I'd meet on the train. It's the experience that counts. So NO. She is not a personal trainer. She paid for a piece of paper that said she COULD BE one if a gym employed her as such.

Oh, and I AM a CPT with 2 certifications and 3 specializations, and I've been training clients for over 3 years. I would never call myself a trainer if I didn't work as one.

• Julie says:

Yeah, that's like saying I have a law degree but I'm not a lawyer.

4. Saran says:

Well, she went back and changed the way the bio read so I guess I must have been somewhat correct, Amanda. Before, it stated that she was a personal trainer. Now it reads more accurately that she is certified as one. Otherwise, it implies that she has some experience actually working as one which she does not. She had a front desk job at a gym at one point and then decided to get certified.

5. Allyson says:

I find it hard to respect a this Food Network blog when it promotes someone with clearly disordered eating and exercise habits. Anyone who follows carrots 'n' cake knows that Tina has lost an extreme amount of weight and exhibits tendencies that match those of compulsive exercisers. Her living is far from "healthy."

While her blog is still called "carrots 'n' cake", that is absolutely not a true reflection of her current lifestyle (there is no 'cake' component).

I strongly urge Food Network to research and vet bloggers, and other candidates they wish to promote on this website, if they want to be taken seriously.

• Jennifer says:

I do read Tina's blog, daily in fact, and she has a medical condition which has forced her to change her eating habits. She has not lost an extreme amount of weight, she is healthy. And now you are bashing her for actually working out and trying to stay healthy? In this day and age where obesity is at an all time high, and Tina is just showcasing how a certain diet & exercise routine works for her, who do you feel the need to come here & put her down that way? She is not forcing anything on anyone & many of us actually enjoy reading her blog, cake or not.

6. SLL says:

Wow. I cannot believe people are so hurtful. Tina totally has embraced the carrots AND cake aspect of life. However, she has recently adjusted her way of eating based on a MEDICAL CONDITION. If eating sweets like cake cause the type of pain she is currently experiencing, you wouldn't eat it either!

I encourage everyone to read any one of the Paleo diet books currently on the market, and I especially recommend the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. Get a clue. The "healthy" food you are most likely eating is killing you.

• Brady says:

I have read them, which is why this girl is out of control. I don't think Robb Wolf would be too supportive of her style of eating.

7. Allyson says:

I'm not so sure that it's all about the MEDICAL CONDITION, SLL. If I had a similar MEDICAL CONDITION, I would not be eating food so spicy that it makes me sweat.

Just saying.

8. Lillian says:

There are so many worthy bloggers out there, why pick this hack?

9. Brady says:

This makes me never want to cook again.

10. Lucy says:

Is this really the FOOD network? This blogger eats banana and eggs mush, tiny tiny portions, and as someone mentionned, she has lost a lot of weight due to her "medical condition". I don't see why she would be featured here?