Nutrition News: Is Eating Egg Yolks as Bad as Smoking?

by in Food News, September 5, 2012

egg yolk
By now you’ve probably heard about the study claiming eating egg yolks is as bad for your heart as smoking. We just had to weigh in on this!

We Heart Eggs
We’ve already discussed the benefits of eggs. Eating them (yolks and all) offers protein, heart healthy omega-3 fats, plus cell-protecting antioxidants like lutein. Read up on these previous posts:

The New Study
The subjects used in this study were 60-plus years old (on average) and had recently suffered a heart-related medical incident – not exactly a sample that represents the general population. Furthermore, the researchers failed to account for whether or not these subjects partook in other good-for-your-heart practices like eating fiber and exercising. They also failed to assess the amount of artery-clogging saturated fat these folks ate. Since there’s a large body of research to support that saturated fat affects heart health even more than cholesterol does, it’s pretty important!

Bottom Line: One study doesn’t make a scientific fact, especially a study that didn’t cover all the bases. We recommend not smoking and eating eggs.

Tell Us: What did you think of this recent study?

Tags: ,

This Week’s Nutrition News Feed

In this week’s news: The produce aisle takes a page from the junk food playbook; breakfast proponents get a wake-up call; and new thinking on s...

1. @AlinaESanto says:

Yolks are a great source of good fats, vitamins and minerals necessary for our health and beauty. It's a shame not to eat them, just choose the eggs from free range chickens, preferably, organic ones. In my opinion, one of the healthiest options for breakfast would be an omelette from 2 eggs with some mozzarella on top, accompanied by spinach (my favourite) or other greens.

2. Sandy says:

Eggs are absolutely amazing. They are great to start your day with and offer so much. Just like any food alone, without proper diet (a balanced one) and no exercise, too much can be harmful. Exercising and a balanced diet (that includes eggs) is the way to go- live long!

3. John says:

Sounds like the survey was paid for by Altira (Formerly Philip Morris & RJ Reynolds)

4. Constance says:

I have lost 100 lbs. and ate eggs on a daily basis because they are a 'stick-to-your-gut' protein. As these eggs aided me in my weight loss, my cholesterol level decreased as well as my triglycerides and my diabetes improved to the point of now being diet controlled. I would add frozen chopped spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, or other items to a skillet with a bit of olive oil and add the beaten eggs. I would eat a piece of fruit with it as well and never be hungry until lunch. Go by what works for you not by one of the million surveys that didn't use your body and lifestyle to test.

5. That study made me a little angry. Eggs are so good for you and smoking is so bad for you, I hate to see them be compared like that because the vast majority of people will not take the time to read the study, they’ll just remember the headline.

6. Robert Symington says:

I personally would never smoke and eat eggs. I always eat my three fried in butter sunny side up eggs and my 4 strips of bacon first. Then I go out on the patio to have my after breakfast smoke.

7. SONJA SILIPINO says:

At least as long as all of the harpies are battering eggs, they have shut up about, how awful a cup of coffee is. I think coffee is still okay, is'nt it? Tobacco is Tobacco, no matter what you compare it to.
    I reminds me of the sugar verus splenda a few years back. Well splenda is making it possible to a
    somewhat pleasant experience at the food-bag and sugar is still treacherous for people with "sugar
    problems" so to all those negative people out there,smoke your cigarettes and let us eat our eggs,
    all of them and shut up! PLEASE!!!

8. Harry says:

i love eggs and exercise

9. sprocket says:

Even Dr. Oz has commented on the need to eat eggs in moderation. Essential proteins for the healthy brain growth and support!

Hard boiled for me.

10. Cori A. says:

There is so much that's GOOD about an egg. We use Eggland's Best eggs because they have more nutrients than other eggs. Plus, eggs are perfect for any time of the day. I had 2 hard-boiled ones for an afternoon snack with a sprinkle of salt & pepper and it was so satisfying.