Decaf Coffee: Is It Healthy?

by in Is It Healthy?, August 16, 2012

coffee
If caffeine gives you the jitters you may opt for coffee that’s “de-buzzed.” But is this a healthy choice?

While caffeine does have some health benefits, too much can be harmful, especially if you have a heart condition. For this reason, many folks opt for the decaf version of their morning (or evening) Joe. Decaf can also come in handy if you’re trying to break the caffeine habit. Pregnant women sometimes switch to decaf to keep their morning ritual somewhat intact.

Coffee is also famous for it’s antioxidant content. Some of the specific antioxidants vary depending on the type of coffee bean, but both decaf and regular provide some of these cell protecting nutrients.

It may not affect the nutritional quality but most would agree there’s a flavor difference between caffeinated and decaf coffee. There’s also been some controversy over the safety of the decaffeination process.

Legend has it that back in the early 1960s and 70’s potentially carcinogenic solvents were used to extract caffeine but nowadays more natural plant-based solvents, plain water, or CO2 (carbon dioxide) are most commonly used.

Despite efforts to strip all the caffeine, a small amount does remain. Eight fluid ounces of decaf coffee from Starbucks averages 3 to 12 milligrams of caffeine; a cup of regular brew has 160 milligrams.

The Verdict: Decaf will deprive you of caffeine but that’s about it. If coffee without the buzz is the right choice for you, there’s no need to worry.

Tell Us: Do you drink decaf or regular?

Cheese: Is It Healthy?

Does this dairy delight have a place in your healthy eating plan? Although cheese has gotten bad press for being high in artery-clogging fat, choosing the right ones can provide important nutrients to your diet.

Comments (1,484)

1. Bernadette Collins says:

Decaf? Why bother?

• Hi Bernadette, I agree. I have an International Healthy Gourmet Coffee Distributorship. We infuse our beverages with Ganoderma. Would you like to try it? I can send you some samples.
      Victoria

• bevmisty says:

when I started drinking decaf I found within one month my blood pressure dropped. I love Seattle's blend of decaf. I think it is the best then Starbucks

2. MPK says:

I just recently switch to decaf because I wasn't sleeping well. It has helped me get a more restful nights sleep. I used to only drink two mugs in the AM, but was still sensitive to the effects.

• Victoria says:

HI MPK,
      I have an International Healthy Gourmet Coffee Distributorship. We infuse our beverages with Ganoderma. You can google Ganoderma to see the many health benefits. Ganoderma gives a great smooth energy, and remarkably, it also helps to promote healthy sleep patterns. Would you like to try it? I can send you some samples.
      Victoria

3. Kathy says:

We drink de-caf because as we got older, we found we weren't sleeping at night even though we were tired… not a good feeling , especially the next day . We don't like the de-caf coffee or tea as much but it's better than nothing, and good sleep is a definite requirement for good health and functioning. When I was much younger, I would have thought no coffee was better than de-car… but things change lol.

• Victoria says:

Hi Kathy,
      As I mentioned to another reader, I have an International Healthy Gourmet Coffee Distributorship. We infuse our beverages with Ganoderma. You can google Ganoderma to see the many health benefits. You cannot taste it or smell it in our beverages, just great gourmet coffees. Ganoderma gives a smooth energy, and remarkably, it also helps to promote healthy sleep patterns. Would you like to try it? I can send you some samples.
      Victoria

4. Beverly says:

36 years if waking up to coffee and a cigarette had to go! I quit the cigarettes and gave up the coffee buzz that went with it, but I still needed something to get my morning going. Decaf coffee has been my morning wake-up drink for nearly 15 years.

5. jackie2830 says:

I drink both……I love coffee, but finding the acidity causing awful gastric problems and I don’t drink it for the buzz, I drink it primarily for the taste. So, in the morning, I have a 16 oz reg and a 16 oz decaf. I have a manual ceramic drip cone that fits right over my travel mug and use my electric water kettle – no need for a coffeemaker. If you use high quality coffee like Starbucks House Blend you will find almost no difference in taste, believe it or not! I have to have that one 16 oz of reg or I’d be too sleepy.

6. Michael says:

I avoid coffee, I find it far too dehydrating. It pushes water out of your body. Any health benefits it might bring are better found in more wholesome foods and drinks.

7. celssa says:

i like to drink coffe every morning with swisshealthy sugar from coconuts sap…its yummy

8. James says:

Decaf Coffee like cigarette without nicotine – effect is zero:)

9. Cathy says:

I drink decaf from Starbucks. And yes I have heard, "Why bother?" Well, I like it! I also serve decaf at home when we have company. No one ever notices the difference.

10. LOUIS MABRY says:

I DRINK BOTH , BOTH BREWED. I THINK THE TASTE IS GOOD IN THE DECAF BRANDS I USE,