31 Days of Tomatoes by Dana Angelo White in 30 Days, August 9, 2012
- Comments (269)
The steamy days of August make for outrageously sweet and juicy tomatoes. We’ve got an idea for every day this month, but whatever you do, don’t refrigerate them!
1. Start by getting all the fun facts. Read In Season: Tomatoes.
2. Hit your local farmers’ market for lesser-known varieties like Black Krim, White Cherry and Sweet Tangerine.
3. The season can start early if tomatoes are grown in a green house.
5. Make sweet, sour and spicy jam.
6. Get the answers to your most head-scratching tomato questions.
7. It wouldn’t be tomato season without bruschetta.
8. Add diced chunks and Swiss cheese to an omelet.
9. Make BLTs with garden-fresh tomatoes, crisp lettuce and a few slices of bacon.
10. Toss with nectarines for a salad that’s almost too pretty to eat.
11. Conduct your own heirloom tomato taste test.
12. Preserve by drying in the oven.
13. Steak + Tomato + Avocado = a heavenly combination.
14. Dress up salad with a Tomato-Ginger Dressing.
15. Layer thick slices into grilled cheese.
16. Top a bagel with tomato and homemade veggie cream cheese.
17. Thread cherry tomatoes on skewers.
18. Make your own Gazpacho.
19. Or how about salsa?
20. 3-ingredient sandwich: tomato, whole -rain bread and spicy mustard.
22. Team ‘em up with crunchy, fresh fennel.
24. Cook and freeze fresh homemade sauce to enjoy all winter long.
25. Tomatoes are one of the best sources of the antioxidant lycopene.
26. Make a quick and easy seafood feast.
27. Add chunks of fresh tomatoes to doctor up jarred sauce.
28. Find out the best time to use canned tomatoes
29. Bring a classic Fresh Corn Tomato Salad to your next picnic.
30. Try a new way to combine tomatoes with corn.
31. Are you a fan of fried green tomatoes? Try baking them instead.
TELL US: What’s your favorite way to eat summer tomatoes?